Light-O-Rama Forums

Error creating musical sequence

yardhauntjunkie

I getting an error message when trying to create a musical sequence. This is the first one that I have tried. I go to FILE, NEW, CREATE MUSICAL SEQUENCE, click on my MP3 file and then enter the name of the new show editor and set it for tapper. When I click OK it tells me that there was an error creating a musical sequence. I am running all this on an old laptop with Windows 98. I am at a loss right now. Any help would be appreciated. Oh and few more things that might help with possible solutions. One is that I can't connect the laptop to the internet.

Not sure if it is related to your issue, but you will want to make sure that if you use mp3 files, that they are constant bit rate. You will be able to work with variable bit rate files in the sequence editor, but if you ever use a play range other than full sequence, the audio playback may be out of time with the sequence. Here is a slightly out of date document on how to convert files to constant bit rate.

http://lightorama.com/Documents/Audacity_Lame_128Kbps.pdf

I got this mp3 from someone that used it in their LOR sequence, so I assume that isn't going to be a problem. But, thanks.

I am wondering if this is because of Windows Media Player. What version of Windows Media Player is required for LOR Software version 1?

Good question. It has been a couple of years since I had that installed, and I don't know that I ever checked what was installed at the time. Have you checked that your windows media player will play the file? Have you tested to see if you can create the sequence with no timing marks, or a fixed grid, and then have LOR get WMP to play the file?

Do check out this thread while you are here:

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum72/19645.html

Yes Windows Media Player plays the MP3.

I don't really need S2, I am just trying to get the original software to run without having to upgrade from Windows 98, because I would like to conserve space on the computer.

What is the minimum requirement version of Windows Media Player for the original software? I am not sure, but I think this might be the issue.

Has anyone else got to this point and got this error message? Because it doesn't say what the error is. It just says "Error creating a musical sequence". I am so close I want to get started making sequences so I would really appreciate any help.

LOR requires a minimum operating system of 98SE. Which version of Windows 98 are you using? Also, which version of Media Player is installed on the laptop? I am not certain on this, so someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think LOR requires a minimum of version 10.

I think it is the normal Windows 98, but I have the software running. I have made sequences without music. I don't think the operating system is the problem. Does anyone know where I could find the minimum requirements for Windows Media Player? The LOR website doesn't have the original software anymore. I don't need to upgrade to S2, so I would hope people could help me try to solve my problem for the original software. This is on a really old laptop and I would like to keep things as simple as possible.

I stress once again that I have the software up and running, I have made sequences without music and I have loaded an MP3 into the program. Now all I need to do is figure out why I get "Error loading musical sequence" message. Does anyone know if having an outdated version of Windows Media Player would cause this?

It is possible. After all, all LOR does with the music file is tell WMP to do things with it. It never really touches the file at all. The OS version could be involved in supplying the right methods for LOR to use to drive WMP. Unfortunately, I think that there aren't many people left with LOR1 on their systems to look through the help files, or confirm what components they have it working with. The last sizeable projects I can think of using LOR 1 in this area were both in 2007..

Also, I'm running my show on a PII 600, and I think S2 actually appears to be less resource intensive on that system. But it last ran LOR 1 for Halloween 2007, so I could easily be mistaken.

I'm not sure if an advanced search here would let you limit things down to the LOR I board, and maybe find some really old threads about it, but it may be your best bet to confirm the requirements on that version.

I believe that the version of WMP required depends upon what version of LOR 1 you're using. Very old versions of LOR 1 required WMP 6; relatively newer versions required higher than that. What version of LOR 1 are you using?

LOR is not (and never has been) supported on Windows 98. The minimum operating system is Windows 98 SE.

I should clarify:

When I said that very old versions of LOR 1 required WMP 6, I meant exactly WMP 6. Higher versions of WMP will not work with very old versions of LOR 1.

"WMP 6" versus "WMP 7 and up" are completely different things, and software designed to work with one won't work with the other (generally speaking).

I don't know what version LOR software I have. I bought it from LOR within the last year. All I know is that it isn't S2 and I don't really need or want to upgrade. It is running on the computer. I am making sequences without music. Do I not have this question posted in the right area? I have LOR software running on the computer. I can make sequences without music. Is there any way to find out what the error message means that I am getting?

Just because you can make animation sequences correctly does not imply that your software is running just fine on 98. There may be features added in 98SE that are critical to the ability for LOR to control windows media player, and those operating system features would not get exercised in making an animation sequence.

If you aren't happy with the collective wisdom of the LOR users active on this board, (who have pretty much all switched to S2, and only have their memories of LOR 1) you probably want to formally contact LOR support to further work the issues.

Wow I had heard you guys might be not willing to help, but man I had no idea that you would be this way. Wow. If there is anyone out there that might be willing to help I am still trying to find a solution. No disrespect to others on here for the actions of the few. I was unaware however that I could contact LOR directly.

Guest wbottomley

yardhauntjunkie wrote:

Wow I had heard you guys might be not willing to help, but man I had no idea that you would be this way. Wow. If there is anyone out there that might be willing to help I am still trying to find a solution. No disrespect to others on here for the actions of the few. I was unaware however that I could contact LOR directly.

Well... what you heard and the information you're providing are both inaccurate.

To find out what version of LOR you're running, click on help>about. Then post that information in this thread to get the results you're looking for. Without knowing the version you're on, we can't provide a correct answer either.

Also, post the version of Windows Media Player you have too.

You say you can make sequences without music; are you trying to add music to it AFTER you make the sequence? Also, what is the file extension of your sequence after you save it? Can you open the sequence (without the music) after you save it? I believe you can find out the version of LOR 1 that you are using by going to the help menu. Not sure on this though.

Oh and just to clarify. I am going through all this crap so that I can use this laptop just for my LOR show. The laptop I am using can't easily be hooked up to the internet so if I have to update the Windows Media Player I will have to put it on a disk.

yardhauntjunkie wrote:

Oh and just to clarify. I am going through all this crap so that I can use this laptop just for my LOR show. The laptop I am using can't easily be hooked up to the internet so if I have to update the Windows Media Player I will have to put it on a disk.

Are you running 98SE?

If it makes it easier for you, I can email a the LOR installer and media player, then you just have to put them on a disk.