Light-O-Rama Forums

Selling your Sequences?

Guest guest

Looks like we are most interested in a share site, perhaps with video, demos, sequences, articles, etc. I was thinking about the format some, and it would work to do it kind of wiki style. We already have the LOR wiki (thanks don!) which has some demos already. Are you folks interested in a more specific site for sequencing, organization, layouts, etc.? I don't want to overlap Don's wiki or work on something noone's interested in. I'd look into it if there's interest and if you think you'd contribute.

I'm thinking layouts, ideas, sequences, how to create different effects with (whatever) layout...basically, how to get the best milage out of your display.

I recently implemented a family related portal site using drupal. Does require a hosting solution that handles php though. Can create users with logins. Forums, pictures, videos, user blogs, commenting to blogs and other posts- lots of modules to add on features.

Drupal Info http://www.drupal.org
Our Site http://www.schmidtfamilies.com

I find this forum (pc) a great place to chat and stumble on inforation from other's potings.
It would be nice to have a go-to site for some specifics. (i.e. pictures of nothing but boxes, specific how-to's, etc)

my 2 cents.

Tad

The LOR wiki is great. My interpretation of the wiki site was more informative and documentation driven. It didn't quite fit the suggested share, post, trade type site. I think posting this type of information would "junk up" the wiki.

I think what the wiki is specializing in is certainly needed.

Tad

Tad wrote:

The LOR wiki is great. My interpretation of the wiki site was more informative and documentation driven. It didn't quite fit the suggested share, post, trade type site. I think posting this type of information would "junk up" the wiki.

I think what the wiki is specializing in is certainly needed.

Tad

Disagree. For example, under Tip and Tricks, if someone wanted to post how they mounted their controller into an enclosure, they could post pictures. Make it step by step, even.

A section could be created called 'Programming LOR', and people could upload demo sequences for people to download. (In fact, I moved my old Sequencing Demo over to the Wiki this afternoon, it's under basics.)

Articles? People could write those all day. It's a place for users to contribute what they know about LOR, and where people can come and learn. What good does it do to start up another site, when you have one already that's doing the same thing?

I'm with Don on this one. I can think of no better idea then to have everything that you could possibly want or need about LOR all in one place.
Centralizing would reduce the time it takes for everyone to find what they are looking for.

is there anything stopping us from doing it all on the LOR wiki, sequener for hire, Sequences for sale and sequences to share

we do this for another wiki I peruse and there is all of that there, some are case studies which actually takes you from after you have everything installed, through setting up a complete PBX, with sample files.

there are those there that are for hire, they are limited to the sales speel length... I think it is 85 characters. Petty much what they do, where they are and how to contact them.

there are others with complete step by step how to's, and still others who link to completed system files, that you can download and put in your system.

Just tell me where and I will put a few up. I think they are more then just basics though.

me I would rather share ... and if someone wanted to pay me 1.6 million I would be more then glad to help them out.

I do this lighting for therapy, SMILE

blearning wrote:

is there anything stopping us from doing it all on the LOR wiki, sequener for hire, Sequences for sale and sequences to share

The only things preventing it from being on the Wiki are

1) Someone wanting write the content
2) Said person asking me to modify the front page. (The front page is locked, but I will alway listen to requests for modifications to the front page.)

Currently, nothing exists in the wiki for what is being discussed here.

I only said that the wiki was a great resource and my intrepretation as a user, was that it was more of a documentation type site simply because there is nothing BUT documentation.

If the site framework included some other these topics we are taking about, then it WOULD be the one-stop-shopping spot for all thing LOR.

Hopefully, Don will include these
:waycool:

Tad

Tad wrote:

Hopefully, Don will include these
:waycool:

Tad

Someone shoot me an email or PM telling me what you want, and I'll take the request seriously. To date, no one has contact me about adding any new sections to the Wiki. I can't keep up with the threads here, so if someone make a specific request, I've missed it.

Please, email/PM me. I'll respond, promise. I'll take your request seriously, and work with you on it.

Well it is done,
the request has been made,
it cleared middle management,
up into the courthouse,
there was a gathering,
and then more debate,
clearences to do a feasibilty study was issued,
the study was competed,
it then went back for a proof of concept,
on into the night people of all ages questioned and discussed the pros and cons,
security was notified of an intent to work,
the post was planted,
soiled turned,
a ribbon cut,
a flag raised,
and the seal of approval was applied to the documentation the was made in triplicate on form 4.06.000
and clause A was amended at the last minute by an anounimous participant.
It went back for approval,
then a technical writer was chosen of the many available applcants,
and as soon as;
the tutorial,
the instructions,
the regulations,
the how tos,
the SOPs
the RFPs,
the DDTs
and all the M&Ms and circus peanuts are eaten,

we should have a place where we can buy, sell, barter , share, swap sequences.

thanks to everyone for their particpation.

Our grateful appreiciation goes to contactmike1 for starting this thread, and to all of those who spent countless hours working on this thread.

You asked for it and you're getting it! I'm collaborating with with don and blearing to get a share site up and/or use don's existing site. It is unclear who will be creating it or where it will be at this time, but we're getting a start on the planning stages. If you have any ideas, suggestions, wish lists, or feature requests, please share. This site is for you, so what do you want to be able to do on it? The planning stages are the easiest time to accommodate requests, so dream away...

I posted this in the other topic, but since you asked here, I'll repost. Perhaps you could make a database that had several fields including:

Song Title
Song Artist
Number of Channels
Creator of sequence
etc

That would make it very easy to search things then. I know I'll be sharing the few sequences that I've done do far in this, my first year.

Opie wrote:

I posted this in the other topic, but since you asked here, I'll repost. Perhaps you could make a database that had several fields including:

Song Title
Song Artist
Number of Channels
Creator of sequence
etc

That would make it very easy to search things then. I know I'll be sharing the few sequences that I've done do far in this, my first year.

This is on the Wiki now. I've got two sequences there for download.

Please note: My format is a SUGGESTED format. The information listed should be searchable via the search box on the left side. Users are encouraged to visit and make suggestions....

I was hoping that it would be a little bit easier. That is, I imagine a form with some fields to fill in inorder to upload the sequence.

Then, when searching other people's sequences, I can just say, "Display all sequences with 32 channels," etc.

Searching the wiki for "80" (the number of channels in Don's shared sequence), comes up with zero results.

Searching the wiki for "Joy to the World" (the title of Don's shared sequence) also does not seem to produce a relevant result.

Please understand that I'm not trying to be a pain in the rear, just trying to help with suggestions. Don, I hope you'll take this as constructive criticism. I certainly appreciate the time and energy you have put into creating the wiki and helping out all of our friends here.

Cheers,

Rick

Hmmm that is strange , I wonder why it returns zero for a search on 80 but returns the right results for 80 channels

don't you just love search engines

I did a search on "80 channels sequences share" it returns the 2 results that should be there, adding "share" to your search string is what did it for me.

Opie wrote:

Please understand that I'm not trying to be a pain in the rear, just trying to help with suggestions. Don, I hope you'll take this as constructive criticism. I certainly appreciate the time and energy you have put into creating the wiki and helping out all of our friends here.

No worries. I understand the need for search. MediaWiki (the software running the Wiki) has many features. Many of which I am not up to speed on. Perhaps there is a better way to sort things, so that sequences are more easily search-able.

If there are folks who have used MediaWiki (someone way back when said they had) and have a better idea how to organize things, by all means, please speak up!

Also, sort of unrelated, but not really. I don't want to take ownership of the Wiki. I don't really want it to be known as "Don's LORWiki." I'd like for it to simply be 'The LORWiki.' Anyone who expresses an interest can gain sysop status, allowing them to modify the few locked pages. My only real involvement is paying the domain fees. It's hosted on a server that I own, (in a real data center, not my house) and hosts other domains. The cost to run it is nothing from that stand point.

Opie wrote:

I was hoping that it would be a little bit easier. That is, I imagine a form with some fields to fill in inorder to upload the sequence.

Then, when searching other people's sequences, I can just say, "Display all sequences with 32 channels," etc.

Searching the wiki for "80" (the number of channels in Don's shared sequence), comes up with zero results.

Searching the wiki for "Joy to the World" (the title of Don's shared sequence) also does not seem to produce a relevant result.

Hey Rick,

How many channels a sequence does not matter at all, so get that out of your mind. What you need to decide is if that 80 channel sequence has the beats, effects that you like. In other words did you like what you see? My 80 channel display and your 80 channel display will be totally different, 32 of my channels could be on a spinning mega tree. You want to find a sequence that has beats and effects that represent the sounds that you like and stick out.

So, if you find a sequence that you like, then you can import your display configuration. If you have a 40 channel display and see an 80 channel sequence…Can you use it? Yes! You just export your display configuration from one of your sequences and then import it into the 80 channel sequence you downloaded. Eventually you will delete the other 40 channels, but that will not be done until you cut n paste the beats/effects you like to different parts of your display.

If you are only looking for specific amount of channels you might miss some great sequences.

The wiki is setup and ready for your use (as you already discovered). Feel free to go ahead and use the wiki. (In fact, I am disappointed that more songs haven't been added!)

I have also begun work on a dedicated site for this. I'll let know when/if it goes live. Hopefully, it will make viewing, uploading, and sharing easier.

contactmike1 wrote:

The wiki is setup and ready for your use (as you already discovered). Feel free to go ahead and use the wiki. (In fact, I am disappointed that more songs haven't been added!)

In all honesty, it's hard for a lot of people to share their work. It's just the nature of the beast. I don't really have an answer for it.

Once people realize that major re-work is required to use a shared sequence, they are more apt to share. (Just my opinion.) Besides, the real plus to sharing a sequence is just getting an idea of how it's done. Sometimes it's hard to imagine that those squares on the screen are going to amount to lights blinking!