Light-O-Rama Forums

Using Dual Power 240volt AC and 24v DC on CTB16PC

deblen

Hi All,

I was thinking about using a couple of my CTB16PC's to run 24 volt one side, the other 240 VOLT AC.

I can remember reading in as p[ost some where, it gave a good desription of what do do etc.

I have tried different search's, but cannot find where it is.

Could some one point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Deblen

I have only PC controllers, and I am fairly certain you CANNOT run DC voltage on the boards. I will do a little research on this though...

Well... working from memory, and presuming that the 'PC' version of the board is using the same TRIACs for switching as the 'D' boards do, then I would lean towards no.

The TRIAC, being electronically equivalent to a dual SCR so as to pass the full cycle of an AC waveform, once triggered it is dependent upon the zero-crossing of the waveform in order to 'reset' the device for the next cycle.

DC voltage, not having a periodic cycle would never reset the TRIAC, so once triggered would remain on indefinitely unless externally interrupted.

Think that is correct, and perhaps even borderline clear... It has been a long Monday...

Triacs will not shut off if the current through the load never goes to zero. So with a typical DC power supply and load, the first time the channel turns on, it will stay on.

You could have 240VAC on the right half, to power the card, and 24VAC on the left half, and have it work correctly.

You could even have full wave rectified AC applied to the left half without any filtration, and most likely have it work correctly, as you still have the zero voltage points, and will probably still have zero current points where the triacs can switch off..

Hi,

Thanks all for the replies, it appears 24v DC will not work, but using 24v AC can work.

As I was looking at DC to control my LED's, might have to look at 24 AC if this is possible.

Thnks

Deblen

deblen wrote:

As I was looking at DC to control my LED's, might have to look at 24 AC if this is possible.

Or... if you were considering another controller/more channels, have a look at the CMB-16D Deluxe DC Card.

A 16 channel LOR controller but strictly for controlling DC powered widgets/lights/etc...