Light-O-Rama Forums

having trouble with squirrels

chris mashburn

I do the trap thing. We moved 100 squirrels out so far this year and still have about a million munching on the pecans (and the light strands beginning in November).

Charles

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chris mashburn

• TGabriel

• Charles Belcher

• Jack Stevens

TGabriel wrote:

I prefer a 12ga or 22 myself, but if no guns are allow feed them something they like on the other side of the yard (your neighbors two doors down). You could catch them in a trap and tranport them to the other side of town. Or make a paste using hot peppers and spread that on your entire strings of lights (too much trouble).

Uh, gee, thanks, for moving the squirrels.

We have a problem here with deer. A neighboring county that happens to hold the state capital did a catch-and-release on deer; they decided to release into our county.

We now have more deer than people. They're literally killers, due to the diseases they carry, and they eat everything because of deer food shortages, including plastic-covered copper. The same state wildlife commission that came up with the catch-and-release program are now telling us that that no longer is effective (they don't want the deer back in their yards) and have authorized urban hunting. Locally, it's bow hunting only.

I regularly see a herd of 6 or so. There's a couple of bucks that know how to negotiate traffic here, although we regularly provide venison via car contact. Nope, I don't eat road kill, but I've known people who do, as long as it's fresh.

I don't think catch-and-release is such a great idea; it causes problems as well. At least the local deer population seem to keep the squirrels away.

A couple of outdoor cats seem to help, as well.

We have issues with both squirrels and rabbits. I admit to getting some enjoyment from the pellet gun. It doesn't bother rabbits all that much but squirrels are particularly vulnerable. It's so gratifying seeing one do a back flip and head-first dive to the ground after being hit. Last year I had a squirrel take up residence in my light shed. I put out some mouse poison and also a bowl of some nice sweet ethylene glycol. I don't know which one did the trick, but the squirrel is no longer there. I'm planning on leaving a sweet liquid treat in the crawl space under the deck for the rabbits this lighting season. Too bad we don't have foxes (the four-legged variety) in the neighborhood - they could survive quite nicely...

I didn't realize this topic would be so far reaching. I suggest that LOR install a squirrel killer plug-in for S2. Forget about multiple tracks and dimmable twinkles, let's cut to the real problem solver.

Perhaps they could install a circuit that sensed when the cables were walked on or lifted from a tree limb then send a 200 amp current down that line.

Any other ideas?

Charles

I have had this issue also. What I've done is use more rope lights where the squirrels tend to be most active. My wife got me a BB gun for Christmas also. Doesn't kill the darned things, but, scares h*** out of them.

Charles Belcher wrote:

I didn't realize this topic would be so far reaching.  I suggest that LOR install a squirrel killer plug-in for S2.  Forget about multiple tracks and dimmable twinkles, let's cut to the real problem solver.

Perhaps they could install a circuit that sensed when the cables were walked on or lifted from a tree limb then send a 200 amp current down that line.

Any other ideas?

Charles

Hey, that was my idea a while back! lol

When LOR needs to shock a critter, it powers down all the lights and directs the entire display's power to one point. --> :dude:

--Daniel L

TGabriel wrote:

I prefer a 12ga or 22 myself, but if no guns are allow feed them something they like on the other side of the yard (your neighbors two doors down). You could catch them in a crap and tranport them to the other side of town. Or make a paste using hot peppers and spread that on your entire strings of lights (too much trouble).

I know typos happen...but I read this and pictured you sneaking up behind a squirrel who was reading the newspaper, scooping him up in a big net, and running down the street with him.

Then I read the next post....

"Oh...a TRAP"

Thanks for the good chuckle to start the day! :D

I know typos happen...but I read this and pictured you sneaking up behind a squirrel who was reading the newspaper, scooping him up in a big net, and running down the street with him.

Then I read the next post....

"Oh...a TRAP"
crazytrain83

I quess you could scare the crap out of them a couple of time and maybe they would leave.

Thomas

*shudders* ahhhh, don't get me started on squirrels. What it amounts to is that repellents don't work and relocation only allows that squirrel's competitors to move in and make more squirrels. Best way to get rid of them is to eliminate them. I know, I'm horrible! LOL Seriously though, no one has the time to sit around and shoot them all, so I suggest putting a few of these:

http://www.lowguys.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ratzapper&Category_Code=Pest_Control_Indoor&Store_Code=lowguys

in your yard. Quick and not messy. Use it during the day when they are most active. Use peanut butter for bait. Empty out the carcass quickly to catch the next one. Keep lots of batteries on hand too. I think it said one set of batteries is good for 10 kills.

Paint balls tend to work pretty good, although they are relatively non lethal...
One of my guns can send about 9 balls a second towards those fuzzy tailed rats.
After you "light them up" they tend to find other places to hang out.

Another thing I do is throw handfuls of pea gravel at them. They leave pretty pissed off when they get hit with that as well.

The problem with pea gravel, high rate of shot with paint balls, and shotguns....

Bazillion lights - 5, then (Bazillion lights -5) -3, then ((Bazillion lights -5) -3)-7....

Who does more damage? The squirrels? :shock:

I do not know what the natural predators are for squirrels in your area. Where I live we have a problems with Sparrows. They builds nests under eve's and make a mess of things. If you purchase a life like painted Owls molds and put them up in tree's or your house it keeps the sparrows away.

It might be worth checking into to see if that works with squirrels in your area. Fish and game or natural resources may have some information that works for squirrels.

I have heard horror stories of how creative these guys are at getting into things. I am glad they have not been a problem for me up to this point.

• 3 months later...

Here is something that can not only help little varmits but a whole variety of would be wanna be terrorists.

I just wonder if kids would try getting into the yard just so see if it really works. If you turn your paintball gun up to full power they will leave welts on you and they do hurt when you fire them at 180 PSI at objects. The software can be programmed for both large and small targets.

The servo motor system and software runs about $250 plus you would have to get a paintball gun if you do not already own one.

It is fun to watch and think about.

Sevierville will not be any easier on you as far as squirrels go. I live in Maryville, which is just South of Knoxville, and they are pretty thick here. Fortunately I have a lot of oak trees, so they feed on the acorns and not on my lights.