Light-O-Rama Forums

.05 timing not working on standalone.

smitty77

I recently started messing around with trying a LOR box in standalone mode and found that during my test sequence when I had lights going on and off at .05 intervals that the lights stayed off. When I use the controller with a PC it shows the whole sequence fine. The controller is a LOR1602W with the 4.30 firmware.

Is this a normal limitation on standalone operation and if so do the MP3 boxes have the same limitation?

I have never tried using a stand alone sequence, but does your test sequence also contain other intervals that work properly while the .05 sec timings do not?

I'm pretty sure you can't run fast effects in standalone. I'm having the same issue with my tree I have set up.

If I remember correctly, I had the same experience last year with my arches when I set them up to play. I think I found a post about it then. But I can't find it now.

Hi,

From the Standalone Topic in the Help file (note bolded):

Also, sequences to be used in standalone mode have some limitations:

• The sequence must contain only one track.

• The sequence should only contain commands for controllers on a single network; unexpected results may occur if you have more than one network listed in the sequence.

Timings
are only supported on
tenth-of-a-second
boundaries (for example, 1 second, 1.1 seconds, 1.2 seconds). If any timings in the sequence are at some centisecond other than a tenth-of-a-second boundary (for example, 1.15 seconds), they will be considered to be at the next tenth-of-a-second boundary.

• Depending on the device type, between 1 and 10 loop levels may be supported.

• Loop speed modification is not supported, and will be ignored.

The MP3 Show Directors have 0.01 timing; controllers running in standalone mode have 0.10 timing.

Dan

Thanks for the info Dan. Glad to know I will have no issue with the MP3 Director cause for our Christmas display I was thinking of adding another display next year and it would be alot better not to have to buy another laptop. Now the only problem is coming up with new ideas for the 3rd display :)

rwertz wrote:

Oh yeah, I forgot about the documentation :?

The Help File has a lot of stuff in it. I have to use he search to look for things lke this. Something like this is easy to miss even if you are looking for it.

If you have a CTB16D or LOR160xxx you can get your .05 sec timing. Create your sequence with 1/10 sec timing. In the play menu set the speed to 2x so you can get a good feel of the play back speed if it was 0.05 sec timing rather than 0.1 sec timing.

Now when you play it back on the controller turn up the speed control to double the speed of playback.... now you have 0.05 sec timing.

Ah... I believe some time ago someone had posted that lack of support for tracks was why they elected to go with a PC driven show, rather than a director. I was wondering where that came from, but from what I can tell, this is only a restriction on standalone operation, not MP3 director operation. The most likely restriction I see for director based shows is the inability do do subsequences. And the mini directors lack of clock taking shutdown sequences out of the equation.

LightORamaDan wrote:

If you have a CTB16D or LOR160xxx you can get your .05 sec timing. Create your sequence with 1/10 sec timing. In the play menu set the speed to 2x so you can get a good feel of the play back speed if it was 0.05 sec timing rather than 0.1 sec timing.

Thanks again. I'll have to check that out if I get a chance before I take the tree down.

I copied my sequence into a new sequence with 0.1 timings (paste by cell). The sequence looked much better. But it hesitated once every second or two. This isn't a problem for me, I just thought I'd mention it.

The interesting thing is that, after I downloaded the sequence I started it using the "Sequence On" button and it looked fine. But when I disconnected from the computer and cycled power the hesitations started.

LOR1602W, CTB16D Blue, Firmware version 4.20.

rwertz wrote:

I copied my sequence into a new sequence with 0.1 timings (paste by cell). The sequence looked much better. But it hesitated once every second or two. This isn't a problem for me, I just thought I'd mention it.

The interesting thing is that, after I downloaded the sequence I started it using the "Sequence On" button and it looked fine. But when I disconnected from the computer and cycled power the hesitations started.

LOR1602W, CTB16D Blue, Firmware version 4.20.

Please email the sequence file to support@lightorama.com... We will take a look at it.

Thanks

Sequence sent.

Here are a couple videos comparing the sequence running in Standalone with the heartbeat from the hardware utility connected and then disconnected. Both videos are from the section of sequence 0:57 to 1:13.

Standalone with the heartbeat from the hardware utility connected (smooth)
http://www.wertzweb.com/1temp/LOR1602Standalone-HardwareUtilityHeartbeatConnected.wmv

Standalone with the RS485 line disconnected (hesitates every 1 - 2 seconds)
http://www.wertzweb.com/1temp/LOR1602Standalone-HardwareUtilityHeartbeatDisconnected.wmv

I verified this on two 1602 units.