Light-O-Rama Forums

Hours of sequencing lost after saving it

JimCanfield

Tossing out my variation on saving multiple file versions.

I conclude each with date/time and (often) what I did. Disk storage being so cheap and plentiful I don't mind having a dozen or more file versions which I clean up after the season. Also ... if I ever want to "go back" it's easy to figure out which version to reopen.

For example
Oh Christmas Tree 2009-08-01 0930 Completed sidewalk area
Oh Christmas Tree 2009-08-01 1115 Added Denny's house
Oh Christmas Tree 2009-08-01 1325 Started arches - uninspired
Oh Christmas Tree 2009-08-04 0235 Started Susan's house

rwertz wrote:

I'm not too big on an autosave feature overwriting original files without notice. But if it created separate recovery files, that would be great.

I often take a sequence file and mutilate it just to try something. Last weekend I deleted every channel except for one tree from a sequence so I could play with the tree I have set up in the back yard. I'd be pissed if those changes got saved without my knowledge.

There are some other software programs that auto save to a whole new file. This may be the best bet. The files looked something like file.a$ and the program had options to either erase upon save or not erase and set the time interval 5-60min.

if you had an issue all you did was import the file

-klb- wrote:

Jeff Millard wrote:
As soon as I saw that this happened to Jim and Robin, I started to rev back-ups using "Save as" and adding a sequential number to the filename so I get multiple copies as I go. This is nothing more than a workaround until it's determined what's happening. Thanks for pointing out what happened, and... sorry 'bout the work you guys lost....

Jeff

I've been doing that from day 1. I try to make sure I have a new version number for about each half hour of work. Not exact by any means, but it is what I aim for.

The second year, I also started including in the file name both the year of the show it belongs to, as well as the acronym indicating if it is the home show, or the city park show.

I have been doing almost this exact same thing since the begining 4 years ago. It allows me to go back if I don't like the way it turned out. For example...

In the picture below you will see 4 pieces of my naming scema - Song name - then the year - them my session and save number in a 3 digit format. The session starts with 100 then 200 then 300. If it was the 3rd save on the second time I sat down to work on that song in 2008 it would read - "Song Name 08-203.lms" . And so forth and so on. It works for me. Then once the season is done I clean things up.

LORnaming.jpg

This year i am woking on 3 machines - my show machine - my laptop (traveling some) - and my main workstation. I keep all three sync'ed together with a piece of free software. I should say I am testing it this year.

I am a very FIRM believer in backup. Saved my bacon more than once.

Thats what I do - your milage may vary........ Happy trails.....

Papa-LF wrote:

This year i am woking on 3 machines - my show machine - my laptop (traveling some) - and my main workstation. I keep all three sync'ed together with a piece of free software. I should say I am testing it this year.

Was wondering what software toy are using? I am in the same boat, and have found small problems trying to work off a home network and LOR.

cenote wrote:

Papa-LF wrote:

Was wondering what software toy are using? I am in the same boat, and have found small problems trying to work off a home network and LOR.

http://www.goodsync.com/

• 1 month later...

I have found that emailing my files to myself has been very useful. Weather it be LOR files or otherwise I can always get what I need from my email account. I have unlimited storage on my email so this has been a great use for me regardless of what machine I work with.