Light-O-Rama Forums

Sun???

Coasterfreak128

I have never set up a show outside before FTI...

I was going to set a show up in my back yard just for fun. But im not sure where to put the controller, the spot i can without buying more Extention Cords is in Direct Sun Light For All/most of the day... Well that be a problem? Also i was was gunna lay it down on its back ontop of 2 peices of fire wood.

Thanks, Max

hmm laying down probably isnt a good idea, i would say it needs to be in an upright position in case of rain. as far as heat i do not believe this will be an issue. someone correct me if im wrong.

i think im gunna make DuckTape Labels and Plug/Un-Plug The Controller When I use it, and if i dont do that theres the magical wonders of the house hold trash bags and Duck Tape... But i dont know how well that well work?

They need ventilation to cool. I would highly recommend you do NOT wrap it in plastic to seal it. If possible, drive a pointed 2x4 or 4x4 into the ground and screw the controller box to the post so it is upright and protected from rain.

Coasterfreak,

You have a possible valid concern about the heat. Although I see you are up in maine. This I would think would help some with lower air temperature. Also I would think you would not be able to see your display too well during the day when the sun is out. Electronic componets usually can handle high temperatures while powered off, so that should not be a problem. So, if you do not power up during the day, and go out and open the box to get a sense of what the temperature is like in the box just prior to powering up in the evening. And if it feels like it is say lower than 90 degrees. I would not worry about it any more. Usually these controllers are run during the winter or fall for those doing holloween. But think about it as it just came to my mind. What are people doing to keep their controllers cool when they do their 4th of July shows? With that in mind, I say that once the sun goes down, you will be fine. I would still have some concern during the day though. One other little factor I would be concerned about is the load on the controller. Large load, would mean more heat on the heat sink. If the show is using LEDs, give it no further thought.

Max

Most electronics are rated to 85 degrees C or 185 degrees F while powered. The only thing to be careful of is leaving lights on. The high power heatsinks will do a good job of keeping the TRIACs cooler, the enclosure has no ventilation and this will drive the temperature up. I would say you are ok to leave the controllers in the sun, with power applied, but just don't drive a load.

At the end of the day, if you are really worried, just unplug the AC. The controller will suffer no damage just sitting in the sun with no power.

hey Dan,

Could you tell us what is the max operating temperature of your chips? I would think that the max for the processor chip might be lower than the rest, but not sure.

Dan the man! I am sure you know for sure the answer to this question.

Thanks

Max

I did some research last night. It appears that both the PIC processor and the two octal D Flip-Flops are rated to 125 degrees C. But I could not find any info for the RS-485 chip. So, it appears that the controller is quit hardy as far as the Temperature issue is concerned.

Max