Light-O-Rama Forums

My Arches Look Pretty Lame

jim6918

I just can't get it right. The rest of my sequences look pretty good, but my 16 channel arch always looks like an "after thought"; like something I added just to fill space. I have looked at Youtube arch videos til I am blue in the face, but can't figure out the effect I am looking for.

I am not sure if it should be used as more of an accent item, used somewhat sparingly, or a major point of focus, according to the temp of the song.

What seems to work for the experts here?

Depending on the song, I use arches as a focal point or as highlights. I could take a look at your sequence if you want. PM me.

Why don't you post a video of your arches and ask us what we think????
Or try a little static lighting around them and see how they fit?
Evan

Evan

My first year in LOR so all I have is the animation to go by. Hopefully, videos next year, provided I survive until 2010. LOL

I had to make a new track for my big arches. My small arches use 7 spaces in a given timing and in my new track I had to change my spacing to 15 in the same timing. It looks so much smoother. It was a trick someone else showed me and I love it.

Here some programming effects that others have shared with me. It was very helpful.

arch1.jpg

Here we have a fade up, with the fade down taking twice as long.. This gives even more motion blur, and was very effective for the fairly fast motion.

arch2.jpg

This one was even faster. Not as much overlap as on the last one, but between the real speed it was moving, and the overlap and fade that helps simulate motion blur, this one worked well as well.

arch3.jpg

Shimmer-arch.jpg

Here is the LOR button bar...

LOR-Buttons.jpg

The star is for custom effects. The next pair of buttons selects twinkle or shimmer. The next three select intensity, fade up, or fade down. Once you have the appropriate combination selected, that is the tool you have. Or if you strongly prefer keyboard shortcuts, "c" will give you the most recent custom tool you selected. Not so fast as the other shortcuts, but I personally don't think you should use that much of these effects..

It took me a while to figure it out but I finally did get the button sequence to work. I myself am still a newbie at this.

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. This is a good example of mine too. Thanks for the post.

Take a look at Richard Holdman's sequencing. He'll give them to you if you ask. I personally like his approach to sequencing arches. His are 20' long and have 9 channels per arch.

I'm doing arches for the first time this year, so should be interesting.

Todd and others, thanks for taking the time to reply with the examples and recommendations. You have given me some great ideas. I just wish it was the first week of March and not the first week of August. Sheeeesh, where did all this year go?