Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jbc455

What's the most unconventional song you're done?

Recommended Posts

I'm guilty of programming some pretty odd stuff.

I'm a big Rush fan, and a "just for me" song into the mix on New Year's Eve. I have done a bunch of their songs. All of them got surprisingly good feedback. This year it'll be La Villa Strangiato.

So whatcha got? :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did our wedding song last December for my wifes Birthday. She hadn't heard that song in awhile.


Also I did Irene Cara's "Flash Dance What A Feeling".......worked well for me last year.


I did a Song called "Forgive Us Were Canadian"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not as strange as yours, but definitely not Christmas.
Wife didn't want any of these in the show.

Star Trek sound effects mixed with Audacity
http://itsmebob.com/Christmas/2008/LOR08StarTrek.wmv

Theme from Gladiator The Battle.
VU wizard using three filtered music files.
http://itsmebob.com/Christmas/2008/LOR08Gladiator.wmv

THX Cavalcade
http://itsmebob.com/Christmas/2008/LOR08THXCavalcade.wmv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year I did the Discovery channel commercial "Boom De Yada". I mixed it in after Amazing Grace on the bag pipes and followed it up with "Boogie Woggie Cho Cho Train".

Some others I've done are Belleau Wood and If tomorrow never comes by Garth Brooks.



Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think just about anything goes for Halloween. I am going to have a series of talking pumpkins that will be motion activated. I am using a collection of movie soundbites and songs that kids know and I hope that it goes well.

I am still not satisfied with my collection and I am still working on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

danPipefitterDan wrote:

Last year I did the Discovery channel commercial "Boom De Yada". I mixed it in after Amazing Grace on the bag pipes and followed it up with "Boogie Woggie Cho Cho Train".

Some others I've done are Belleau Wood and If tomorrow never comes by Garth Brooks.



Dan
dan,

do you have a video of Belleau Wood ? i would love to see that. one of my favorite garth songs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done Soulja Boy - Crank That during our New Years Eve show. My daughter gets to pick out the special song for the new years eve show.

http://www.vimeo.com/3067061

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After all of the hits the video of the wedding dancers have been getting and their appearance on the Today Show early Saturday morning I expect we'll be seeing "Forever" by Chris Brown getting sequenced up.

Lenny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Star Trek sound effects mixed with Audacity

Can I steal that? My wife would definitely want that. She's a Star Trek fan, even more than I!

I did a few unusual Christmas songs from Bob Rivers last year, including this version of O Little Town of Bethlehem (no, it's not The Animals).

On the suggestion of someone here on these forums, I pulled out my CD of "Songs in the Key of Springfield" and did about 19 seconds of Robert Goulet singing "Jingle Bells, Batman smells..."

My wife insisted I do "Christmas at Ground Zero" by Weird Al.

Last year, I did several Christmas Songs by Toby Keith, because my neighbor is a fan. However, many of these are just too slow for synchronized lights. So this year, I used Audacity to mix "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" starting with Toby Keith, then fading to the Jackson 5, then to Twisted Sister for the last verse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had this song mixed in with my Christmas show last year. It's not Christmasy but, it was very fun:

Sinbad and the Big Fish



-Evan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

joshua wrote:

~Dan,

do you have a video of Belleau Wood ? i would love to see that. one of my favorite garth songs.

Sorry, I don't have video of that song. It was the first song I ever sequenced and I didn't like how it turned out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steven wrote:

ItsMeBobO wrote:
Star Trek sound effects mixed with Audacity

Can I steal that?  My wife would definitely want that.  She's a Star Trek fan, even more than I!


I will package up all the source sounds and files for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year I included a bizarre little ditty by the Electric Amish titled I Want To Hoe Your Land. Sharon wasn't amused, so it will be in the "reserve" directory this year. This year I've sequenced Penetration by the Ventures and some Pink Floyd: live versions of Time and Brain Damage/Eclipse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jbc455 wrote:

I'm guilty of programming some pretty odd stuff.

I'm a big Rush fan, and a "just for me" song into the mix on New Year's Eve. I have done a bunch of their songs. All of them got surprisingly good feedback. This year it'll be La Villa Strangiato.

So whatcha got? :cool:



:shock: OH MY GOD!! Being a Rush fan I've considered doing some of their stuff. But, I'm told they're stuff is to unconventional, not to mention edgy, so I have stayed away from it. LVS is one of my favs, one song I was considering is Freewill. I would love to see what you've done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used:
Play that Funky Music
Fat Bottom Girls (Sung by a large Snowman)

This Year I'm working on:
Diznee Land (by DaDa)
Bohemian Rhapsody (this one is gonna take a while)

Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It took me 2 months to get through 1/2 of Bohemian Rhapsody!! I cut out the first 3 minutes and started at "I see a little silhouette of a man"
It's actually a fun song and it works well with 2 house. The song pans back and forth through the left/right.

I didn't get it finished for the 08 show, but it will be in the 09 show. I am thinking about having it on 1 of 4 interactive triggers that start songs I don't want in the regular play roster.

I did finish Funky Town. I hated the sequence and couldn't stand how it turned out. After the second night I removed it from the play list. I had 2 people knock at the door and ask when it was going to play. They said they had seen the show loop 3 times and didn't hear it yet...so I had to put it back in.
I am going to redo it for this year.

As for the other 2 interactive triggers, I have some very great selections that I am too embarrassed to admit I might add!!

Have fun,

Scott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's okay everyone. We are all on the same page. How many times do we hear any kind of song, and see our display moving to it? Just remember, it's a Christmas Light show put to music, not a Christmas Music show, put to lights.

25 songs in 12 minutes,......

http://www.facebook.com/v/1128384888688

This was one of the favorites last year. I had people dancing in the fron of my yard, IN THE RAIN to this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unconventional music? As you may know Tron (the 80’s cult classic movie) is getting a 21 century remake, called Tron Legacy. It’s getting some early hype, even though it’s not going to be released for at least another year. The title song is on the web, here, it sounds interesting. I have not decided if I’m going to sequence it for my 2009 show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GalenInTn wrote:

:shock: OH MY GOD!! Being a Rush fan I've considered doing some of their stuff. But, I'm told they're stuff is to unconventional, not to mention edgy, so I have stayed away from it. LVS is one of my favs, one song I was considering is Freewill. I would love to see what you've done!


Unconventional, yes. Edgy? I dunno. The Trees got a great reception last year.

I've been too lax on videotaping my stuff, but I'll do a better job this year.

LVS should be pretty wild. I'll be playing it on New Year's Eve, which is the only time I get to play the odd stuff for the whole show.

BTW- I have two dachshunds too. Our family has had 10 of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

jbc455 wrote:

GalenInTn wrote:
:shock: OH MY GOD!! Being a Rush fan I've considered doing some of their stuff. But, I'm told they're stuff is to unconventional, not to mention edgy, so I have stayed away from it. LVS is one of my favs, one song I was considering is Freewill. I would love to see what you've done!


Unconventional, yes. Edgy? I dunno. The Trees got a great reception last year.

I've been too lax on videotaping my stuff, but I'll do a better job this year.

LVS should be pretty wild. I'll be playing it on New Year's Eve, which is the only time I get to play the odd stuff for the whole show.

BTW- I have two dachshunds too. Our family has had 10 of them.


I too am a big Rush fan....

I didn't get this done in time for my 2009 show, but I started sequencing YYZ. I cut some parts out to get it down to about 2 mins, and then added my timings. Lots of tempo/time signature changes to deal with, but you wouldn' t expect any different from them! Maybe, I'll get that one ready for a New Year's Eve show next year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

daughjs wrote:

jbc455 wrote:
GalenInTn wrote:
:shock: OH MY GOD!!  Being a Rush fan I've considered doing some of their stuff.  But, I'm told they're stuff is to unconventional, not to mention edgy, so I have stayed away from it.  LVS is one of my favs, one song I was considering is Freewill.  I would love to see what you've done!


Unconventional, yes. Edgy? I dunno. The Trees got a great reception last year.

I've been too lax on videotaping my stuff, but I'll do a better job this year. 

LVS should be pretty wild. I'll be playing it on New Year's Eve, which is the only time I get to play the odd stuff for the whole show. 

BTW- I have two dachshunds too. Our family has had 10 of them.


I too am a big Rush fan....

I didn't get this done in time for my 2009 show, but I started sequencing YYZ. I cut some parts out to get it down to about 2 mins, and then added my timings. Lots of tempo/time signature changes to deal with, but you wouldn' t expect any different from them! Maybe, I'll get that one ready for a New Year's Eve show next year...


RUSH fan here too! How did LVS turn out for New Year's? Would you be willing to share your RUSH sequences? Even if not, RUSH minded people would love to hear how it turned out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...