Light-O-Rama Forums

What's the most unconventional song you're done?

jbc455

I'm guilty of programming some pretty odd stuff.

I'm a big Rush fan, and a "just for me" song into the mix on New Year's Eve. I have done a bunch of their songs. All of them got surprisingly good feedback. This year it'll be La Villa Strangiato.

So whatcha got? :cool:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• George Simmons

• KarlSmith

• PipefitterDan

• ItsMeBobO

I did our wedding song last December for my wifes Birthday. She hadn't heard that song in awhile.

Also I did Irene Cara's "Flash Dance What A Feeling".......worked well for me last year.

I did a Song called "Forgive Us Were Canadian"

Not as strange as yours, but definitely not Christmas.
Wife didn't want any of these in the show.

Star Trek sound effects mixed with Audacity
http://itsmebob.com/Christmas/2008/LOR08StarTrek.wmv

Theme from Gladiator The Battle.
VU wizard using three filtered music files.
http://itsmebob.com/Christmas/2008/LOR08Gladiator.wmv

THX Cavalcade
http://itsmebob.com/Christmas/2008/LOR08THXCavalcade.wmv

Last year I did the Discovery channel commercial "Boom De Yada". I mixed it in after Amazing Grace on the bag pipes and followed it up with "Boogie Woggie Cho Cho Train".

Some others I've done are Belleau Wood and If tomorrow never comes by Garth Brooks.

Dan

I think just about anything goes for Halloween. I am going to have a series of talking pumpkins that will be motion activated. I am using a collection of movie soundbites and songs that kids know and I hope that it goes well.

I am still not satisfied with my collection and I am still working on it.

danPipefitterDan wrote:

Last year I did the Discovery channel commercial "Boom De Yada". I mixed it in after Amazing Grace on the bag pipes and followed it up with "Boogie Woggie Cho Cho Train".

Some others I've done are Belleau Wood and If tomorrow never comes by Garth Brooks.

Dan
dan,

do you have a video of Belleau Wood ? i would love to see that. one of my favorite garth songs.

After all of the hits the video of the wedding dancers have been getting and their appearance on the Today Show early Saturday morning I expect we'll be seeing "Forever" by Chris Brown getting sequenced up.

Lenny

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Can I steal that? My wife would definitely want that. She's a Star Trek fan, even more than I!

I did a few unusual Christmas songs from Bob Rivers last year, including this version of O Little Town of Bethlehem (no, it's not The Animals).

On the suggestion of someone here on these forums, I pulled out my CD of "Songs in the Key of Springfield" and did about 19 seconds of Robert Goulet singing "Jingle Bells, Batman smells..."

My wife insisted I do "Christmas at Ground Zero" by Weird Al.

Last year, I did several Christmas Songs by Toby Keith, because my neighbor is a fan. However, many of these are just too slow for synchronized lights. So this year, I used Audacity to mix "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" starting with Toby Keith, then fading to the Jackson 5, then to Twisted Sister for the last verse.

I had this song mixed in with my Christmas show last year. It's not Christmasy but, it was very fun:

Sinbad and the Big Fish

-Evan

joshua wrote:

~Dan,

do you have a video of Belleau Wood ? i would love to see that. one of my favorite garth songs.

Sorry, I don't have video of that song. It was the first song I ever sequenced and I didn't like how it turned out.

Steven wrote:

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Can I steal that?  My wife would definitely want that.  She's a Star Trek fan, even more than I!

I will package up all the source sounds and files for you.

Last year I included a bizarre little ditty by the Electric Amish titled I Want To Hoe Your Land. Sharon wasn't amused, so it will be in the "reserve" directory this year. This year I've sequenced Penetration by the Ventures and some Pink Floyd: live versions of Time and Brain Damage/Eclipse.

jbc455 wrote:

I'm guilty of programming some pretty odd stuff.

I'm a big Rush fan, and a "just for me" song into the mix on New Year's Eve. I have done a bunch of their songs. All of them got surprisingly good feedback. This year it'll be La Villa Strangiato.

So whatcha got? :cool:

:shock: OH MY GOD!! Being a Rush fan I've considered doing some of their stuff. But, I'm told they're stuff is to unconventional, not to mention edgy, so I have stayed away from it. LVS is one of my favs, one song I was considering is Freewill. I would love to see what you've done!

I've used:
Play that Funky Music
Fat Bottom Girls (Sung by a large Snowman)

This Year I'm working on:
Diznee Land (by DaDa)
Bohemian Rhapsody (this one is gonna take a while)

Tim

It took me 2 months to get through 1/2 of Bohemian Rhapsody!! I cut out the first 3 minutes and started at "I see a little silhouette of a man"
It's actually a fun song and it works well with 2 house. The song pans back and forth through the left/right.

I didn't get it finished for the 08 show, but it will be in the 09 show. I am thinking about having it on 1 of 4 interactive triggers that start songs I don't want in the regular play roster.

I did finish Funky Town. I hated the sequence and couldn't stand how it turned out. After the second night I removed it from the play list. I had 2 people knock at the door and ask when it was going to play. They said they had seen the show loop 3 times and didn't hear it yet...so I had to put it back in.
I am going to redo it for this year.

As for the other 2 interactive triggers, I have some very great selections that I am too embarrassed to admit I might add!!

Have fun,

Scott

It's okay everyone. We are all on the same page. How many times do we hear any kind of song, and see our display moving to it? Just remember, it's a Christmas Light show put to music, not a Christmas Music show, put to lights.

25 songs in 12 minutes,......

http://www.facebook.com/v/1128384888688

This was one of the favorites last year. I had people dancing in the fron of my yard, IN THE RAIN to this one.