Light-O-Rama Forums

WHERE should I buy my strobes?

ShowProKevin

A single bulb is $479!

Here's a 250 joule strobe for only $4,800. This would be more cost effective since you'd get almost 17 times the intensity for a mere 10 times the price.

http://www.unilux.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=49&products_id=421&osCsid=dc312173b6ae52d02b5049f9f32ae75a

FAA Flashing Runway End Identification lights might be another consideration but it would be a bummer if a plane landed in my yard.

Thank you Steve. I made several calls and got nowhere except pushed from person to person and company to company.
Al

It seems CDI is now offering a c9 xenon strobe that is similar to Darryl's that is sealed. I'm ordering some and hope they work out better than Darryl's. I believe the pre-order price on the strobes are $3.95 each. Since these are xenon strobes the flash randomness should be better than the LEDs. Again, I hope so.

paul sessel wrote:

I just put up a video on You Tube for comparison of our LED and Xenon strobes at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/creativedisplays

I like the Xenon strobes. I think Xenon strobes give much more of a power full intense flash. The LED just looks like a blinking light to me.

Steve

Bought 24 strobes from Action over the summer with the weep holes. Lost 6 of them due to moisture, some where my fault mounting them at an angle that allowed rain into the weep holes. They've been sitting inside for two weeks and they still haven't worked.

I got 25 of the christmaslightshow strobed in july.. which are the new ones.. I put them up in mid november and took them down today... all 25 still work good.. 5 of them inb fact were on the ground and buried under snow the last couple weeks.. those 5 had a tiny bit of condensation on the inside, however they still work fine.. I did not melt or drill any holes anywhere in them......

-Christopher

I know this question depends on the "HOW MANY" factor. It all depends on how many strobes people have but on "AVERAGE", or "GENERAL RULE". How many strobes do yous put in, per channel and how many channels do must people do of strobes?

I had 8 strobes in my mini mega-tree, 8 in a regular yard tree by the street and I had 9 laying across my yard grid.... for 2010 im going to increase that number.. they looked good but i think for real WOW factor I want to have at least twice that many.. I had each element on a separate channel although I dont see any reason i couldnt have had all 25 on one channel...
-Christopher

Here's what I found. This appears to be the NON-sale prices.

Action Lighting- $5.06 Each
Christmas Light show- $6.99 Each
CDI- $5.25 Each
Wow Lights- $6.49 Each

Is there any other place I'm forgetting?

From what I heard Action lighting's, and Christmas Light Show's are not the way to go. And CDI's seam to be winning the verdict. But what about Wow Lights?

I have 150 from Christmas Light Show and have had good luck with them. This is the first year CDI is offering incandescent strobes, so they are an unknown. The action lighting strobes are only 1 flash per second, so a little slow for most of our tastes.

Darryl has a sale every year where you can get them for $6.00 each.

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

From what I heard Action lighting's, and Christmas Light Show's are not the way to go. And CDI's seam to be winning the verdict. But what about Wow Lights?

I've heard people bash AL for a couple years now and last year I had ~50 of their strobes and lost 5. This year I had ~60 of their strobes and lost none. (also had 30 CDI LED strobes and lost zero this year and had 10 CLS strobes where we lost 5 over the last two years)

IMHO strobes making it through the year require a little thought & planning... and a little luck.

-Jeff

bhays wrote:

The action lighting strobes are only 1 flash per second, so a little slow for most of our tastes.

Not true for last year's strobes, AL strobes were ~3 flashes per second. Two years ago they were the 1 flash per second type.

-Jeff

Anyone knows how the viewing angle of WOW light's strobes are?

I like Darryl's strobes because the viewing angle is very wide, so you don't have to point the strobe to the viewers. They can just hang down.

• 1 month later...

I purchased 12 strobes (c7 socket size) from AL last year (2009) and they flashed ~3 times per second. I just received my order of 36 strobes (c7 socket size) from AL this year and these only flash 1 per second. I know they ran out during the holidays and it looks like their new batch is the slower flashing type. :{