Light-O-Rama Forums

What's Wrong With my LOR??

JTowbin

Before I start I want to thank those who helped me out with my previous post!! But now, post July 4th, I look at some of the videos I took and it seems that the stripes on the Flag I created for my forth of July display seem to lag and frequently stay on when the channel is obviously off in the sequence. Some of them do not even appear even though the channel is on!! I have made two videos, the one on the top is what it SHOULD look like. The one below it is the actual video of the same sequence. You can obviously see some of the stripes stay steady in the bottom video while the top one(sequence) demonstrates the channels changing correctly.

WHAT IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48MPJ5TdMOI&hl=en&fs=1&"

Final Version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxXb8ffbuX4&hl=en&fs=1

Now the LOR I use is a LOR1602w. Its my first controller and i got it USED from Craigslist and had it tested out(it seemed fine) about a month ago just in time to do some last minute sequence editing for July 4th display.

Can anyone help me figure out what is causing my controller to have laggy channels?? I am thinking about getting one or two more controllers and if this one might be broken, it can help me decide which ones I might need to replace it. And do you think that LOR will cover this controller with their warrenty if they could replace it?

This brings me to my final question. This LOR1602w controller I used was PC-controlled, but If I had to replace it and keep 32 channels in my display, do you think I should stick with one stand-alone controller and one CTB16PC? or two LOR1602Ws?

Thanks,

Joe

First, try resetting your controller. Turn it off, set the unit ID dials to 00, and power it back up for a few seconds. Then turn it back off, and set the unit ID dials back to their original settings.

Next, do you have any CFL lamps on the controller, or the same circuit as the controller? They are known to interfere with the controllers. Also, if the data cable runs to close to a circuit powering a CFL there may be some issues. Unless you have CFL lamps on controller, or the same circuit, there probably is not too much probability of an issue, but it is something to test turning them off, and see if it makes a difference.

Can you give us a little more information on your display please.

Types of lights used, extensions cords, power source, communication cables. do you have pictures of the behind the scenes stuff?

I see what you mean by not looking right, hopefully we will find the problem.

Ok, I used:

• 1 LOR1602W controller
  • USB485 Communication Adapter with cat5 cable
  • 13 Red/White Rope Light Stripes
  • 1 50 Star White Mini Lights
  • 1 100 Blue Mini Lights

I plugged the rope lights DIRECTLY into the controller and the controller into one normal ac outlet. As for the pictures:

http://bocaholidaylights.weebly.com/new-for-09.html (scroll down page)

Attached files 177425=10137-july3 flip.jpg

Did you try the reset of the controller as suggested earlier. If so, did you see the status LED flash rapidly when it was being reset?

If so, please post a copy of the sequence file or send the file to support@lightorama.com

Thanks
Dan

Hummmmmm. I've had the same problem and I pulled my hair out for three years until; We found I was having a problem with my USB port's. I changed computers and the problem is gone forever. Also the question I have is where did you get your power from, residential or commercial? I have also had bad RJ45 jacks bad in the controller and bad comm cables

Also, on the show PC, with the schedule and shows configured, try running the LOR verifier, and see if it has anything to say.

Ya, thanks alot guys!! I had to reset the controller and I got it to finally stop lagging. You guys have been a big help!

Heres what it looks like NOW:

Compared to THEN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxXb8ffbuX4

Now that's over with, I have one final question:

If I have one LOR1602W and one CTB16PC how would I connect the two? With an ethernet cord? And what is the difference between the two cause I will get another controller during the sale.

Thanks, Joe

LOR1602W can run by itself and one CTB16PC has to be hooked up to your PC for running shows You can hook them up with an ethernet cable If you are using your PC then I would go with the CTB16PC

Like Dennis said.

The 1602 has the capability of running sequences in stand alone mode. If connected to other controllers, and the sequence calls for it can command other controllers to do as the sequence is designed. This would strictly be an animation sequence ( no music).

They both can be daisy chained together and connected to a computer or a MP3 director for playing musical sequences.

As far as physical connection you can use Cat5 wire with RJ45 plugs. Or you can use phone wired. If using phone wire consult your book because the phone wire has to plug in to the smaller jack on the controller that is "sending" the signal down the line as i recall.

Chuck