Light-O-Rama Forums

ctbo8

joshua

There is always an issue with LED's and any LOR product. That is simply because they draw so little power. I use about 90% LED's in my display. I just have to put some sort of load at the end of the string. Usually I just make plug and a C-9 bulb at the end of every string to create that load. That will allow you to fade the lights easily and not have any issues.

There are also some differences in how different firmware levels work on some hardware. On the PC series cards, with just a half wave string on a channel, there was a brightness disconnect around 50% that went away just upgrading the firmware to 4.30. I have no idea how the CTB08 firmware compares with the PC series firmware, with respect to this. Of course, the PC series 4.30 came out early December last year, so it is not that old..

But, the ability to flash firmware onto the board may be one of the better reasons to go for the D version. The other version requires replacing a chip to change the firmware. I haven't been watching too close, so I don't know if they really upgrade the firmware on the D version more often, but it would not surprise me.

Ponddude wrote:

There is always an issue with LED's and any LOR product. That is simply because they draw so little power. I use about 90% LED's in my display. I just have to put some sort of load at the end of the string. Usually I just make plug and a C-9 bulb at the end of every string to create that load. That will allow you to fade the lights easily and not have any issues.

This is not totally accurate. Tons of people use LEDs with no issue and without any additional load required. Others need to put ghost loads on their strings to get good fades. It depends a lot on the LEDs.

LED manufactures make changes every year and we are never sure if the LEDs will work well until we try them. However some of the LED retailers are now testing their LEDs with LOR.

Dan

well i tried a few strands and found that they work at 88% intensity but not 90 and they would not shimmer. so i guess next i will dig out some old c-9s and test the load.

joshua wrote:

well i tried a few strands and found that they work at 88% intensity but not 90 and they would not shimmer. so i guess next i will dig out some old c-9s and test the load.

What type of controller are you using. Is this an old CTB08?

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

Okay... That is the way they worked. You can get a new chip for that controller and it will handle LEDs much better. Send an email to support@lightorama.com to get a replacement chip.

Dan

ok got my new chip today and installed it. having a problem with LOR trying to find the unit. so i set the unit id and now it says - 01 unknown controller???

what do i do now? by the way the LEDS work great.

The unknown you are seeing is simply saying the hardware utility does not recognize the code returned from the controller when queried. I assume you have 2.3.8 software.

Chuck

joshua wrote:

LightORamaDan wrote:
Okay... That is the way they worked. You can get a new chip for that controller and it will handle LEDs much better. Send an email to support@lightorama.com to get a replacement chip.

Dan

ok got my new chip today and installed it. having a problem with LOR trying to find the unit. so i set the unit id and now it says - 01 unknown controller???

what do i do now? by the way the LEDS work great.

Just for grins, did you try again after exiting and launching the hardware utility again?

joshua wrote:

yes i did. and reset the unit id several times

I have a couple of CTB08's that do the same thing with updated chips... I just ignore it and program the desired ID and they work fine :)