Light-O-Rama Forums

2009 Controller Expansion

Scrubs63

Hi All,

Well with 2008 being my "NEWBIE" year. I did get the bug and listened to all the feedback from all you fine folks and I have expanded my 32 Channels to 96.

I ordered my New Controllers Mon., the first day of the sale, and received them Weds. I was in the garage all day yesterday working on my new setup for 2009. I have 5 Controllers up and mounted and plan to buy my sixth one before the sale is over. Today I plan to work on my 5 leaping aches I am adding to my 2009 display. They will have 7 channels per arch.

I attached a photo of my Controller Setup below. (Notice the empty space to the left of the #5 controller, that's were #6 will go)

Again Thanks, Scrubs63

Attached files 177255=10120-2009 80 Channel Controller

i know the feeling I went from wanting 32 to 96 then bought another one to make it 128 this year. The wife finally shut me off for this year on more controllers. Thats ok planning on 3 more for next closeout sale.

Ahh welcome to LOR...lol

I have gone from 48 to 202 channels in just 3 years. Its a dirty game but it keeps Dan in business...:)

My only issue is money because i dont have a job, but I am starting up my own company so I can make some money. I am deffinetly going to buy 1 or 2 boxes next year!:)

Looks great.

I seem to keep adding 16 channels a year. I wonder if it will ever stop?
I doubt it.

I have 80 myself and my neighbor has 32 and I drive all of it... It's certainly an addicting habit... Especially when people come out with some pretty awesome props that are so worth building!!!

-Evan

I am doing one arch this year. I went with the CCR. I do everything in 3 colors. So one CCR controller is cheaper than one 16 channel controller plus the 3 sets of lights for each segment of the arch.

With the CCR I have a fifty channel arch with 2 millions colors. Now that is a deal...

• 5 weeks later...

What kind of distances are you running on your light displays.

I have a large yard and long distances to power. I am planning on building heavy duty extension cords to power my LOR boxes and place them to minimize my distances and still stay under 100 feet to each box to keep my boxes connected by CAT 5's.

The local hardware store gets tired of me using up all of their extensions cords for my displays.

toddmoon wrote:

and still stay under 100 feet to each box to keep my boxes connected by CAT 5's.

The only limit on cable distances is if you are using a RS485 adapter. The limit from the adapter to the first controller is 100 feet. This is because the adapter is powered from the first controller. Any greater distance allows for voltage drop that will not allow the adpater to get enough power.

Chuck

sc485 adapter 100 ft

usb485 usb485b 4000 ft

since the usb 485 and usb485b can do 4000 feet being powered through usb I think controler to controler is 4000 feet if I am not mistaking:?

I agree with Chuck,

The distance is 4000' from the USB adapter at your computer to the last controller. But this number is purely per the white papers. YMMV.

In each controller, there is no signal amplification or cleaning up of th signal. Trace the leads between connectors. If you do this, you will find that the paths just parallel each other (aka pass through) with a tap to the RS-485 chip on the board.

I purchased a 100 cable and ran it to my first unit. It would not connect at 100 feet. I shortened my cable to 80 feet and then it would talk to my first unit.

I did not know that the length after that was not limited to 100 feet. I always learn something new when I get on the forms. Thanks for the information.

• The topic was locked