• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Hoffman

• mnkyboy

• Ponddude

• -klb-

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I read the thread and understand about release dates. I work for a major manufacturer and we do not publicly announce product unless it is shipping in less than 90 days. So, I get that part.

Like many others, I was under the impression that the XMAS Flood was production and sale ready when it was purchased by LOR from Craig. If that was the case - what is the delay? From the posts I have read, pictures I have seen, and videos I have watched - the product looks better than any DIY product people are trying to do.

During the 2009 season, I visited three different displays this year using different DIY type floods. In my opinion, none had the saturation and coverage area that the XMAS flood shows. As I understand it, the price point on this will be great -- and that is why I am not going after a DIY approach.

I hope to see this before July.

• 2 weeks later...

shiner wrote:

Like many others, I was under the impression that the XMAS Flood was production and sale ready when it was purchased by LOR from Craig. If that was the case - what is the delay? From the posts I have read, pictures I have seen, and videos I have watched - the product looks better than any DIY product people are trying to do.
That's not entirely true. Craig did have a working DMX prototype, and a magnificent one at that, but when LOR took over, they were able to re-engineer the housing to get a little extra LED cooling and therefore some extra brightness. The housing itself is also half the size. They also have designed them to work with both DMX and LOR communication protocols. There's probably more than that going on but I do know of these things. I do have to thank Craig for the XMAS flood, for without his efforts, LOR would never have had a flood at all. And the words of Craig himself, good things come to those who wait...

b_Regal78 wrote:

shiner wrote:
That's not entirely true. Craig did have a working DMX prototype, and a magnificent one at that, but when LOR took over, they were able to re-engineer the housing to get a little extra LED cooling and therefore some extra brightness. The housing itself is also half the size. They also have designed them to work with both DMX and LOR communication protocols. There's probably more than that going on but I do know of these things. I do have to thank Craig for the XMAS flood, for without his efforts, LOR would never have had a flood at all. And the words of Craig himself, good things come to those who wait...

First I'd heard of or even seen these floodlamps. Now when you say they will work off the LOR communication protocol, does this mean that each color in the the flood would also be controllable by any LOR controller?

Or will these require a special controller of their own to be used?

Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question, but being new to LOR myself in 2010, I just like to have some idea as to what I'd need to use items like these. I'd probably use these all year round for ambient lighting in my yard too. Then I could just change the color to suit my mood or really drive folks nuts making them think every night I go out and change the flood bulbs to another color. LOL

Orville wrote:

First I'd heard of or even seen these floodlamps. Now when you say they will work off the LOR communication protocol, does this mean that each color in the the flood would also be controllable by any LOR controller?

Or will these require a special controller of their own to be used?

Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question, but being new to LOR myself in 2010, I just like to have some idea as to what I'd need to use items like these. I'd probably use these all year round for ambient lighting in my yard too. Then I could just change the color to suit my mood or really drive folks nuts making them think every night I go out and change the flood bulbs to another color. LOL

From what I've heard the X.M.A.S/LOR flood will have it's own controller and/or you can also control the flood via DMX.

Near the top of the second page should be a link with the latest presentation I have seen. I think they require a special controller, that provides both PWM and current regulation to the LEDs. From what I remember, one controller has 6 channels, and will drive full RGB color control on two fixtures.

-klb- wrote:

Near the top of the second page should be a link with the latest presentation I have seen. I think they require a special controller, that provides both PWM and current regulation to the LEDs. From what I remember, one controller has 6 channels, and will drive full RGB color control on two fixtures.

Not sure how to use DMX with a LOR controller, also not sure on how would you synchronize these with an existing LOR controller unless their controller can be linked via the same way LOR links the controllers via a Cat5e cable. And just how would you enter something like this in the S2 visualizer to time the spots correctly with the other elements being sequenced?

Sorry if asking a lot of dumb questions, but being new, I am trying to learn all the ins/outs, tricks and shortcuts to sequencing all the decor that I may plug into my LOR controller.

From what I understand, the floods will have their own dedicated controller. This controller (like most LOR controllers) can either 'speak' the LOR network protocol, or DMX.

All you need to run most LOR controllers on a DMX network is a physical adapter that converts the DMX XLR connector to the RJ45 LOR connector. All the protocol stuff is built into the firmware.

I believe it was posted that one controller will control 2 floods.

As I understand what was posted late last summer, you should be able to connect the flood controller into the LOR network like any other controller. It just happens to only be a 6 channel controller. You also connect the power supply for the flood lights into this controller, and you plug the two RGB floods into this controller. Then each flood takes 3 channels. One for Red, one for Green, and one for Blue... To get white, turn all 3 on at the same time. For orange, 100% red, about 20% green, and zero blue.... To get a pale orange shade. start adding both green and blue...

Of course, this all presumes that it has not (or will not) radically changed since what we saw presented last year.

-klb- wrote:

As I understand what was posted late last summer, you should be able to connect the flood controller into the LOR network like any other controller. It just happens to only be a 6 channel controller. You also connect the power supply for the flood lights into this controller, and you plug the two RGB floods into this controller. Then each flood takes 3 channels. One for Red, one for Green, and one for Blue... To get white, turn all 3 on at the same time. For orange, 100% red, about 20% green, and zero blue.... To get a pale orange shade. start adding both green and blue...

Of course, this all presumes that it has not (or will not) radically changed since what we saw presented last year.

This is how I understood it as well. Hopefully we'll see something concrete on it soon (I'm really hoping by the summer sale...)

I'm debating between going with these vs. the "Mighty Mini's". LOR gets some of my money either way, as I'll need a DC board for the Mighty's ;)

Hopefully they will have a "color picker" so we do not have to come up with RGB values. Either way, they are in my future. That being said, good things come to those who wait.

Troll #1 - over and out..

-klb- wrote:

So if I'm understanding this correctly, I have my 16 channel LOR CTB16PC, which will not take any channels from it to run the spots, so then since the spots have a 6 channel controller of their own, that in essence would make 22 channels total between the spot controller and the 16 channel CTB16PC I currently have, is this correct? (the 6 being dedicated specifically to the spots from their dedicated controller.)

Those spots look really cool and I'm hoping to also invest in some as well, just want to make sure I know how to use them when I get them!:cool: