Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LightORamaDan

Cosmic Color Ribbon Videos

melwelch wrote:

I have not seen this question asked, if I missed it I am sorry...

The macros seem to be the real power here. Will a user be able to define their own macros? If so this is great news...

I ordered mine the first hour of the sale... When do you think CCR will be ready to start shipping?? I am speaking in general terms here not just my order... Speaking in broad terms... Like for example.. "We expect shipments to begin in August."

At least for now people will not be able to define their own macros. We will be looking for input on ideas for more macros to add to the controller.

Shipping will begin in the later part of August.

Dan

Dan/John,

I have a few questions:

1) The manual states that the cable from the ribbon to the controller is 6' long. Can this be extended so I don't have to place controllers outside?
2) What is the maximum number of "cuts" you can make from one ribbon?
3) I see the "cut kits" include a 6" cable with connector and sealer. If I cut one ribbon in half, will that then allow me to connect the two separate pieces back together and perhaps make a 90 degree turn around a window or perhaps twist it around a prop?
4) If I wanted to cut the ribbon several times can I buy separate controllers for each cut piece?
5) Do you have the ability to house the ribbon in a frosted type silicon tube rather than a clear tube so that the pixels would blur from a distant viewing position?
6) Or if not, could the existing tube slide into a pre-made frosted tube without further heat buildup?
7) The chart shows that one ribbon has 128 available intensities, two ribbons have 64 available intensities and three or more ribbons have 32 available intensities. So is it safe to say that the maximum of twenty ribbons will still have 32 available intensities?
8) What is the measurement between the three LED's that make up one physical pixel?

Charles

Charles Belcher wrote:

Dan/John,

I have a few questions:

1) The manual states that the cable from the ribbon to the controller is 6' long. Can this be extended so I don't have to place controllers outside?
2) What is the maximum number of "cuts" you can make from one ribbon?
3) I see the "cut kits" include a 6" cable with connector and sealer. If I cut one ribbon in half, will that then allow me to connect the two separate pieces back together and perhaps make a 90 degree turn around a window or perhaps twist it around a prop?
4) If I wanted to cut the ribbon several times can I buy separate controllers for each cut piece?
5) Do you have the ability to house the ribbon in a frosted type silicon tube rather than a clear tube so that the pixels would blur from a distant viewing position?
6) Or if not, could the existing tube slide into a pre-made frosted tube without further heat buildup?
7) The chart shows that one ribbon has 128 available intensities, two ribbons have 64 available intensities and three or more ribbons have 32 available intensities. So is it safe to say that the maximum of twenty ribbons will still have 32 available intensities?
8) What is the measurement between the three LED's that make up one physical pixel?

1) We don't know if this cable can be extended. It's probably not a good idea as the signals are in the 100s of KHz and are 5 v logic, not differential.

2) Theoretically you could cut the ribbon into 50 pixels. Each pixel controller IC regenerates th signal to the next guy.

3) Yes.

4) We have no plans to sell controllers without the ribbons. Hadn't actually given it any thought.

5,6,8) You could put the ribbon inside a frosted tube to disperse the light. Frosting the rectangular silicone tube would not help because the leds are right up against it and separated by 1.3".

7) yes

John,

Thanks for the answers. I have one follow up question. If you suggest that we can cut the ribbon to create two or more separate ribbons, then why wouldn't you offer controllers for them?

It seems reasonable to me. I can see a lot of use for these items on props.

Charles

This question has probably been asked but I haven't seen it. Can you use more than one ribbon on the controller? Thanks

Linda,

This is from page eleven of the users manual:

4) "Although the controller supports end-to-end ribbons, they will not be sold initially due to weatherproofing considerations. When we find a way to do this reasonable, extension cables and power supplies will be offered to use with your original ribbon.

5) The theoretical limit on the number of end-to-end connected ribbons is 20. "

Charles

O.K. Thanks for that information.

Charles Belcher wrote:

3) Where are the 'cut kits'? I see they are mentioned in the manual. But I don't see them for sale anywhere