• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LightORamaDan

• HowardShank

• brianfox

• tsrail

Well I certainly am impressed. The smoothness of the whole thing is probably the most impressive part to me. However, I just can't bring myself to pay over 200 bucks for this. I would really have to put some thought into what I would use it for because that price for arches is way to much...at least for me. If I had an unlimited budget, I would probably buy about 10 of these.

One thing I would like to ask. I probably could see myself using these to light down the side of the house. However, I don't know how these would work. Is there a way to possibly see a picture or a video of a flood light type application? As an example, if I placed these on the ground and had the light facing up towards the facade of my house, would these light the whole side with an even amount of light?

Way cool!

Now if they were the size of my windows I'd buy 10 of them!

Ponddude wrote:

... However, I just can't bring myself to pay over 200 bucks for this. I would really have to put some thought into what I would use it for because that price for arches is way to much...at least for me.

One thing I would like to ask. I probably could see myself using these to light down the side of the house. However, I don't know how these would work. Is there a way to possibly see a picture or a video of a flood light type application?

I was thinking about the cost as I was making the arch for the video. If I made a 8 channel LED arch, I would need 1/2 a controller ($100) and $90-100 of LEDs. On the plus side this arch would be viewable from all sides, but it would not be as bright, it would have 8 segments instead of 50, it would be one color instead of 2 million. would not have the built in macro programming effects, would take much longer to make (it took less than 30 mins to make it starting with two 10' pvc conduits) and would require lots of cables as opposed to pretty much none.

My intention is to wash the left side of my house with these strips as a permanent part of my lanscape lighting. I plan to mount them under the eaves. Right now I have two halogen spots that do a terrible job. There is simply too much interference from the plantings. These strips are definitely bright enough and the color control should be interesting. The strips have stand-alone eeproms that are twice as large as previous LOR controllers.

Very Cool but, I'd be interested in seeing the Lightorama sequencing to see how much work it would be to sequence it properly...

Very Nice though!!!

-Evan

Ponddude wrote:

I would really have to put some thought into what I would use it for because that price for arches is way to much...at least for me. If I had an unlimited budget, I would probably buy about 10 of these.

I was thinking the same. Arches look best in multiples with, in my opinion, three being the minimum. That would be about $750 delivered to add arches to my display.

I guess this year's wow factor won't be in my middle class budget. Sadly, I see this as the trend going forward.

NWSanta wrote:

Very Cool but, I'd be interested in seeing the Lightorama sequencing to see how much work it would be to sequence it properly...

Very Nice though!!!

-Evan

Just watched the videos...

I just told my wife - "We're in big trouble!"

Get the second mortgage ready. I need several of these.

I, too, would like to see some sample sequence files (or screen shots) to see what's involved. I think I "get" the multiple channels and macros - but I'd like to figure out how many extra LOR channels would be needed to do what I have in mind with say, six CCRs. (I know the answer is "depends on what you have in mind - but if that demo shown in the video is done in LOR sequence editor - I'd love to see that - as it would allow me to answer my questions)

Great Job - keep 'em coming!

Love the look of the Cosmic Cable, but I really don't understand the channels involved.

Since the cable comes with a 150 channel controller, I'm assuming it can link with the rest of my display and show up as an extra 150 channels in my LOR software - except that would be a total pain (140 channels is hard enough to handle now).

So I guess that's where macro-mode comes in. The confusion seems to be whether the "3 channles" used for, say, a single-color right leap come from the CC controller or my other channels.

So I think what we are not understaning is: are any of our existing channels ever needed to run the CC, or does its controller handle the entire cable.

Other questions:

1) What is the interface between this controller and my existing CTB16PC network? On the spec sheet, I see a plug going to a power supply going to a controller box. Does the controller box have a Cat 5 connector?

2) Looks like there are surface mount ICs on the cable (I think I see one with gull-wing pins). In my experience flex circuit cables don't hold up very well. Sure, the ones that connect your laptop display are great, but they always have the same flex radius and don't have parts attached to them. I have the following concerns :

* UV. Will the flex board become brittle? Will UV cause the clear cover to become discolored or cloudy?

* Moisture. Internal condensation will happen. Has long term testing addreseed this?

* Flexibility. Since the LEDs are mounted on the wide side of the cable, how tight of a radius can you have if you want to, say, outline a window? To keep the LEDs visible, the bend would have the be about the wide part of the cable. I can't imagine a very tight radius in that direction. In my experience, if a flexi circuit cable is ever crimped, it WILL eventually fatigue and tear.

* Repair. When the cable becomes damagaed in, say, the middle, what will the failures look like? Will one half the LEDs simply stop working? Will the whole thing go out? Will LOR have repair services? If not, will LOR sell the cable only (no controller) if mine goes bad?

tsrail wrote:

NWSanta wrote:

Very Nice though!!!

-Evan

Just watched the videos...

I just told my wife - "We're in big trouble!"

Get the second mortgage ready. I need several of these.

I, too, would like to see some sample sequence files (or screen shots) to see what's involved. I think I "get" the multiple channels and macros - but I'd like to figure out how many extra LOR channels would be needed to do what I have in mind with say, six CCRs. (I know the answer is "depends on what you have in mind - but if that demo shown in the video is done in LOR sequence editor - I'd love to see that - as it would allow me to answer my questions)

Great Job - keep 'em coming!

I will see if we can get some screen shots of the sequence. I belive that only 7 channels were used in the demo. I am going to try and explain a bit more in the next post.

Since the cable comes with a 150 channel controller, I'm assuming it can link with the rest of my display and show up as an extra 150 channels in my LOR software - except that would be a total pain (140 channels is hard enough to handle now). Yes it links into the network like any other controller.

So I guess that's where macro-mode comes in. The confusion seems to be whether the "3 channles" used for, say, a single-color right leap come from the CC controller or my other channels. The first 150 channels in the controller directly address the RGB LEDs on the string. You have complete of each of the 50 pixels. Starting with channel 151 there are 7 effects channels. In the demo videos, only those 7 channels were used (I think!).

So I think what we are not understaning is: are any of our existing channels ever needed to run the CC, or does its controller handle the entire cable. As mentioned above you can address the 150 channels directly or you can use the macro channels so to work at a higher level.

Channel 151 - Sets resolution to 1, 2, 5, 10, 16, 17, 25 or 50 pixels

Channel 152 - Set Macro Effect like "Fill Left to Right", "Fill Right To Left", "Ends to Center", "Center to Ends', ....

Channel 153 - Number of pixels in a group

Channel 154 - Fill position - for example: An intensity of 10% would fill the string 1/10 of the way. When you see those fast jumps , it is just a quick fade on or fade off on channel 154.

Channel 155 - Color effect

Channel 156 Speed of color effect

Channel 157 Intensity of color effect.

1) What is the interface between this controller and my existing CTB16PC network? On the spec sheet, I see a plug going to a power supply going to a controller box. Does the controller box have a Cat 5 connector? Two CAT5 connectors so it can be daisy chained like any other controller.

2) Looks like there are surface mount ICs on the cable (I think I see one with gull-wing pins). In my experience flex circuit cables don't hold up very well. Sure, the ones that connect your laptop display are great, but they always have the same flex radius and don't have parts attached to them. I have the following concerns : {a bunch of issues followed.... }

The ribbon has been tested and it is pretty tough but they should be handled carefully and tied down well so they do not slam around in the wind. On the spec sheet it mentions bending radius and like the bend on an arch it has a 3' bend radius but when wrapped around a pole it has a 3" bend radius.

They come with a 2 year warranty which will cover them against any of the issues you mentioned.

Ok I'm officially in trouble. I just forwarded the sale/video page to my Wife expecting a full on "No" from her and she said oooo those were pretty cool how many are we getting?

Yup I'm in trouble.

-Evan

Like to see the sequencing screenshot before I commit...

WOW.....cool stuff, but I can see a nightmare drawing the animation in the editor......

LightORamaDan wrote:

The ribbon has been tested and it is pretty tough but they should be handled carefully and tied down well so they do not slam around in the wind. On the spec sheet it mentions bending radius and like the bend on an arch it has a 3' bend radius but when wrapped around a pole it has a 3" bend radius.

Dan,

Would it be possible to place one CCR on two pieces of PVC to create two mini arches from one ribbon versus just one arch? The reason I ask is that I have a fairly small yard and I'm not sure If I have room for two 16' arches. I was thinking about two 8' pieces of PVC. Would the ribbon be flexible enough to bend like this?

I'm not sure how the pre-set effects would work in this configuration, but I thought I would ask just the same.

Garrison

The strips have stand-alone eeproms that are twice as large as previous LOR controllers.

What you eluding to. are the larger eproms providing more light or more likely not to burn up. bigger is better for longevity...??

NWSanta wrote:

Ok I'm officially in trouble. I just forwarded the sale/video page to my Wife expecting a full on "No" from her and she said oooo those were pretty cool how many are we getting?

Yup I'm in trouble.

-Evan

Like to see the sequencing screenshot before I commit...

LOL.. ok, I just forward the pages to my boss. He looked at it, called me to his office. Tommorrow he is placing the order

Would it be possible to place one CCR on two pieces of PVC to create two mini arches from one ribbon versus just one arch? The reason I ask is that I have a fairly small yard and I'm not sure If I have room for two 16' arches. I was thinking about two 8' pieces of PVC. Would the ribbon be flexible enough to bend like this? I'm not sure how the pre-set effects would work in this configuration, but I thought I would ask just the same.

I too would like to have smaller arches. Can the cable be cut and extended with four lead wire and resealed? I hear "Void warranty" coming!

Anyone else wondering why 50 was selected instead or 32(96) or 64(192) pixels?

Do two ribbons chasing end to end look like a continuous effect?