Light-O-Rama Forums

Questions about sequence exectution

HowardShank

Scenario 1:
PC with S2 running
Controller 1 - LOR1602W - Input trigger 1 - Channel 1-16 used in primary show
Controller 2 - LOR1602W - Input trigger 2 - Channel 1-16 used in primary show
Controller 3 - LOR1602W - Seq 1: Channel 1-8, Seq 2: Channel 9-16

Can a stand alone controller execute 2 different sequences simultaneously initiated by either trigger?

Scenario 2:
Controller 1 - LOR1602W - Input trigger 1 - Channel 1-16 used in primary show, Seq 1 runs Controller 3 channels 1-8

Controller 2 - LOR1602W - Input trigger 2 - Channel 1-16 used in primary show, Seq 2 runs Controller 3 channels 9-16

Controller 3 - LOR1602W - Seq 1: Channel 1-8, Seq 2: Channel 9-16

If a stand alone controller is running a sequence and is using channels 1-8 can another sequence on another controller or PC control channels 9-16 simultaneously?

If the PC was running a show controlling 32 channels on controller 1 & 2, would the execution of a sequence on either of those controllers interrupt the sequence on the PC?

A controller can run sequences in standalone and via other means of controll (PC or MP3) But without paying very close attention to what you are doing....you will get results that you do not desire. As far as I know. Triggers without using the MP3 device require the PC to operated. The triggers are configure at the show level. Not the sequence level.

Chuck

In general, only one device can be the buss master. I don't think I have ever seen anything to indicate that a controller can run a few of it's own channels stand alone, and still receive commands over the buss. The firmware may presume that it is to be buss master if it is running in stand alone mode.

However, I think you can do what you are talking about with just a PC or MP3 director controlling the show, and no stand alone capabilities being used.

ETA: The part I am not clear on is if you are looking for triggers to borrow channels from the primary show, while it is still running. To date, there is no support of that. You can easily have any/all the channels from the primary show used in triggered shows, as long as the primary show is interrupted by the triggered show...

Thanks KLB,

Here's a different explanation of what I want to do. This is a simplified explanation, I may have more animations, controllers, etc.

I want to have a primary musical sequence (#1) running on my PC.

I want to have animation sequence #2 and animation sequence #3 downloaded to controller 3. (According to the manual you can load multiple sequences on a controller)

The PC will control Controller 1 channel 1-16 & controller 2 channel 1-16.

Trigger 1 will be an IR sensor connected to controller 1. When the trigger is activate, it should execute seq #2 (located on controller 3).

Trigger 2 will be a momentary contact switch connected to controller 2. When the trigger is activated, it should execute seq #3 (located on controller 3).

All channels will be run by their own sequences. I am not concerned about how to write the sequences to insure the same channel is not used twice.

My primary concern is having enough processors and triggers to trigger events that are not part of the main show running on the PC.

=======================================

I want to know if I can in fact have a trigger on a separate controller than the sequence it executes.

I want to verify according to the manuals that I can in fact load multiple sequences on a single controller.

I want to know if the sequences can run simultaneously on the same controller or if the currently executing sequence is interrupted when the next event is triggered.

The controllers have a 20Mhz micro controller triggering 16 triacs 120 times a second, and calcuating when the triac should be triggered next time around as it goes through any fades.

Or you have a 500Mhz or faster processor that is sending high level commands that line up with the events that you put in the sequences. For most people, that is going to be far fewer things per second to do. Yes, you also have MP3 or WAV file playback but still, I don't think I would worry about performance on your show PC..

Additionally, I don't think all the pieces you need are in place to do it as stand alone. You should be good to go with all the sequences living on the show PC though. (I'd have to dig a bit deeper, but I think you are good)

I think you misunderstood my comment about enough processors. I'm not talking about processing power, nor PC's. If a controller can only be controlled by a PC or master controller, then that's fine. I'm tyring to figure out alot of different questions, each question should be self contained and the responses are greatly appreciated, however they all wrap multiple answers into my single question.

Maybe I'm not asking the right questions. I'm about to give up and pass on this year at the moment.

I want to run a show and have interactive elements in it that are triggered by some type of trigger.

I do not want the main show to stop or be interrupted. I just want the "other" sequences that the triggers activate to execute while the primary show continues.

I want to avoid wasting 7 or more channels on a controller just to get an interactive event.

I think I'll post a series of single questions that are short and can be answered with a simple yes or no.

Thanks!

I would suggest you pick up a couple 8 channel controllers at the sale. At least then you won't be wasting channels.