Light-O-Rama Forums

How did my sequence get encrypted?

mnlfhuere

I am redoing a sequence that I have been using for the past few years. I am rearranging it to go with a new display that I am putting up in a local park. Everything was going well until today.

I opened the file to work on it and when I tried to copy and paste within the file, a window pops up that says "Data from an encripted sequence cannot be copied except on the sequence's originating computer".

I think I got the sequence from LORsequences.com, but I can't be positive. I have been able to modify the sequence, at will, for the last couple of years and I was able to cut and paste within the file before today. I can cut and paste segments from other files into the sequence without any problems.

I have alot of work into the resequencing of this file and hope that it can be salvaged. I hope that I don't have to start this sequence over from scratch. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate them. Thanks.

Have you worked with more than one PC? Now that July 1st is here, Have you installed license keys on those PCs? I have not played with the demo mode, but hopefully if you have used more than one PC, the last one that saved it will be able to read it, either still in demo mode, or in full licensed mode.

One thing I always try to do is keep multiple versions of a sequence over time, so that I can step back to the last known good version if necessary. I try to do a save as with a new revision number after about 15 minutes of productive work. In reality, it may be more like every hour. Hopefully I never need the older versions, but they take so little space that there is no reason not to do it..

From time to time, I should take the older versions, and put them in a different folder, just to keep the sequence directory from getting too cluttered.

Guest wbottomley

mnlfhuere wrote:

Thanks for the help,

I am using the latest version and it is registered, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. Hopefully someone else can help.

It sounds like you're using an LOR 1 file.

Try save as under a different name then copy and paste to the other sequence.

Thanks for the help,

I tried saving the file as another name, and it is saved in LOR II format, but the new file also says that it is encripted and cannot be copied. Before all this happened, I was able to change the file without problems, it just suddenly changed the other day.

Can anyone else think of something?

PS what I would like to do is to be able to set up patterns within the sequence and then cut and paste those patterns throughout the song when it repeats itself.

There should be no issues doing that at all. In the program title bar, you are sure it says "Light-O-Rama Sequence Editor 2.3._ Advanced" ?

Thanks, you are right, there should be no issues at all.

That's why I'm so perplexed.

The title bar says "Light-O-Rama Sequence Editor v2.3.6 Advanced"

I'm still sequencing this file the hard way, one step at a time, without pasting, but I would really like to be able to solve this problem.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

I think you need to recall where you really got the file. From my reading it could be possible for someone to sequence in the demo version, which does encrypt the file, then post to one of the share websites.

How many channels is the file that you are not able to open?

If you can recall where you got it. I am willing to go out and download and try on my end.

Chuck

Thanks everyone for the help.

I just completed the sequence the hard way, without cut and paste.

The original file that I based this one on was created by Wayne Kremer on 11/22/2003. I don't recall how I got it. Somehow I lost the original file over the years.

On a good note, I have just completed another sequence without any problems, maybe this file was just a glitch... I hope.

The encryption happens when you save a file while using either the demo version or the "Basic" version. Any version of LOR should be able to read an encrypted file, but there are some limitations (as you've seen).

However, if you upgrade to "Basic Plus", "Standard", or "Advanced", open the encrypted file on the machine you originally saved it on, and then resave it, it should be unencrypted when you resave.

Is the machine that you originally saved it (encrypted) on upgraded to "Advanced" (or "Basic Plus" or "Standard")? If so, please try changing it on that machine, and resaving.

Thanks,

I am putting this to rest. I've completed the sequence. I have since created 4 other sequences without issues, so I think I'm doing ok. This must have been a glitch.

I have only used the same computer for all of my sequences.

Thanks everyone for their input. I know where to come if I ever have questions in the future

• 3 months later...

I hate to raise a dead topic, but I can't let this rest. I uploaded the sequence on a friends machine, and did some editing. I saved it to my thumb drive, and returned it to my computer. Now I can no longer cut and paste. I am halfway through a 128 channel sequence. This is a silly problem to have. Please give me a fix. I have resaved the file under another name, still encrypted. I can't go back to the original computer because it is down. This is probably the most frustrating thing I have had to deal with on this software. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Yea it sux when you have to waste a license on a machine that you will not be controlling lights with. I like to work on mine on my work laptop. I don't want to use a license on that machine for two reasons. 1) What if I were to lose my job and had to turn in the laptop? 2) It is possible that we get new laptops and then I have to use yet another license on another laptop that I will not control lights with. I only want to use it to work on sequences when I travel. Hopefully I can still use the file when I get home. Is the problem only with cut and pasting?

My solution, to allow LOR to be installed and licensed onto a USB flash drive would solve this problem. The licensing system would still be secure, as every USB flash drive has a unique serial number. You could then take it with you on travel or anywhere you want to work on sequencing.

My company implemented this solution for a software product we sell. If LOR wants to contact me about it, I will be willing to share.

cwale wrote:

Well we got my friends computer working and put in a key to get the software legal (had to use my 3rd one....2 left:-( .... Well the sequences are fine now and I am a little less stressed...

Don't worry about running out of licenses. Simply email support@lightorama.com when/if you run out, and explain the situation.