Light-O-Rama Forums

mDC-MP3 (mini Director Card with MP3 Player)

Surfing4Dough

I would be interested to hear others' opinions of the mDC-MP3(mini Director Card with MP3 Player). Basically, what are the pros and cons of using this compared to using a older dedicated PC (Win98SE), which would be running out of the basement (compared to the mDC-MP3 running out of the garage)? New to LOR this year, and already planning for 32 channels using CTB16PC (probably 4-6 songs, each 2-4 minutes long, plus maybe some voiceovers). Probably going to be getting an EDM FM transmitter (rather than using my Belkin Tunecast II mod).

If I understand correctly, I would need a timer to start/stop the show (thus I assume making it a little difficult to time it just right to turn off at the end of the show cycle). What other differences will I find? Other equipment needed? Do freezing temps affect the mDC-MP3's performance? How reliable is the unit? How would the audio quality compare? Any issue if using an EDM transmitter with it? Anything else I may be missing?

Was originally planning on just using the PC, especially since on a budget, but figured I better get some opinions from the experts before the upcoming sale! :cool: Thanks!

Last year was my first year for a animated display. I used the Mini Director with a timer, did not have any issues with temperatures or operating the display. You will not get all the functionality of using a PC or the Director Card, but what you get is:

1. Only used MP3 audio files, Put a WAV file on the memory card and sequence on the SD card and they are ignored.

2. Will give you a start up routine option which is nice.

3. I used PSA's telling the show times so when the timer shut off at least the people knew the show was over. Seemed most people did not come late.

4. Easy to build other shows and copy them to other SD cards, pop in and apply power.

I asked the same question last year to many local LOR users and they all recommended the Mini Director, glad I took their advise, helped reduce things needed to learn the first year.

EDM also took another problem off the table, easy to use and worked flawless.

Good Luck

Surfing4Dough wrote:

I would be interested to hear others' opinions of the mDC-MP3(mini Director Card with MP3 Player). Basically, what are the pros and cons of using this compared to using a older dedicated PC (Win98SE), which would be running out of the basement (compared to the mDC-MP3 running out of the garage)? New to LOR this year, and already planning for 32 channels using CTB16PC (probably 4-6 songs, each 2-4 minutes long, plus maybe some voiceovers). Probably going to be getting an EDM FM transmitter (rather than using my Belkin Tunecast II mod).

If I understand correctly, I would need a timer to start/stop the show (thus I assume making it a little difficult to time it just right to turn off at the end of the show cycle). What other differences will I find? Other equipment needed? Do freezing temps affect the mDC-MP3's performance? How reliable is the unit? How would the audio quality compare? Any issue if using an EDM transmitter with it? Anything else I may be missing?

Was originally planning on just using the PC, especially since on a budget, but figured I better get some opinions from the experts before the upcoming sale! :cool: Thanks!

Both would have their own applications. I use a PC at my home display with video.

I use a mini Director at my sons school running a show in his classroom. It makes it very easy for the teacher to turn on and off. I had the controller, and a set of powered computer speakers powered from a power strip. The mini Director got its power from the controller.

The MP3 director card might also be worth considering. It adds it's own clock, so you don't have to set up a timer.

Personally, I use a PC because when I started (and now) I have a few PCs hanging around that work fine for running the show, but really are not good for that much more. Plus, they let me use Zara Radio to broadcast music and PSA material when the show is not running.

For the city park show, delete the comment about old PCs, but add a 2nd year requirement for multiple networks.

Edit for spelling.

Remember you can add switches to the mini mp3 or the Director card....great if you plan to have a interactive display.

Of course that is what I read when I studied up on the same subject. I figure that if the people are going to run my show 1 day out of the week, then a timer is not necessary, but if I plan to leave for the night then I will add my outdoor timer.

There is also the Show Time controller with a built in MP3 as well and I may buy 1 during the summer sale.

I would go for it. If you want an interactive display it might be worth looking into LSP and the use of a touch screen.

Saw 1 here for (new) for $600.00 ..... cheaper in the USA I would thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Chris D. Brooks wrote:

I'm looking to buy Holiday with LOR. Do you use one LOR1602W with MP3 to play your show and piggy back a regular 16 Ch to it?

Yes you would only need one Show Director to run one or many controllers.

I use the mini MP3 player for the Halloween show and it works great. I use a dedicated computer for the Christmas show because I make a lot of corrections, changes and additions to the show during the show. With the miniMP3 director you have to make the changes on a computer, then load the changes to the card and then stop the show and change the cards (assuming your using a spare card).
With a computer you can make a change to a sequence without interrupting the show.

Scott

One thing that I did not see mentioned - the mp3 director can not handle sequences involving multiple tracks, which is why I went back to using the computer instead of the mp3 director I had been using.

Greg

??? Tracks, or some other feature? The way the XML is laid out, I don't see how tracks could have an impact by the time the sequence was set up for playback.

-klb- wrote:

??? Tracks, or some other feature? The way the XML is laid out, I don't see how tracks could have an impact by the time the sequence was set up for playback.

It was definately tracks. After reading of that limitation in the instructions I switched from the mp3 director/player I had been using, and started using the pc again for last year's show.

I then went ahead and sold my mp3 director/player, as I planned on continuing to use multiple tracks, as they met my timing needs.

With the recent release, we can ot course now use different timings, precluding the need for multiple tracks, but I wasn't aware that was in the works when I sold the player...

Greg

Greg Young wrote:

-klb- wrote:

It was definately tracks. After reading of that limitation in the instructions I switched from the mp3 director/player I had been using, and started using the pc again for last year's show.

Greg

Interesting...
Have you experienced this limitation, or just read it somewhere? I just searched the online manual/user guide for the mini-Director/MP3 player and don't see anything about tracks. Can anyone else comment on this from experience?

Surfing4Dough wrote:

Greg Young wrote:
-klb- wrote:

Greg

Interesting...
Have you experienced this limitation, or just read it somewhere? I just searched the online manual/user guide for the mini-Director/MP3 player and don't see anything about tracks. Can anyone else comment on this from experience?

I will try to find it when I get back from a couple of road trips I am headed out for, starting tomorrow. As I recall it was in the LOR (version 2) users (help) manual, not the mp3 director manual. I did not experience this limitation personally, as once I read this caveat, I simply switched back to the computer...In any event I am sure Dan/Bob can confirm this.