Light-O-Rama Forums

Best place to buy SPT2?

EthanP

Here is what I paid for 2,000 foot of spt2 from Skycraft

Not bad for freight and you are not able to beat the Home Depots or Lowes.

18 Awg Lamp Cord, Brown, SPT-2

Part#: SK9EFA

(Qty: 2000 x $0.12)

Discounted Item. You Paid: $0.08

[align=center]Subtotal: $160.00[/align]

[align=center]Tax: $0.00[/align]

[align=center]S&H: $28.66 [/align]

[align=center]Final Total: $188.66[/align]
[align=center] [/align]
Anthony

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smjosephrn

• EthanP

• Anthony in Houston

• EARLE W. TALLEY

That's a great deal! Shipping to me out here in Idaho is a bit more -- $24/1,000' but still a pretty darn good deal. The best out there I have seen. Have you got yours yet and does it fit standard SPT2 vampire plugs?

Scott

Anthony,

Can you post a note once you receive to wire and see how it works in the vampire plugs. I bought 1K feet last year from Americord for $.09 ft and it had a manufacturing defect with the copper wire positioned off center. Each plug had to be cut in and rolled to make contact. It took hours longer to make each cord. I sure don't want that experience again.

I just went to Skycraft and picked up another 1500ft of SPT2 wire yesterday and it is the same as the 1000 ft I got back in Jan. and have no problems with the SPT2 plugs working with it , the cost was .08 per ft. FYI there are two types of SPT plugs one for SPT1 and one for SPT2 make sure that you have the correct plug to match the type SPT wire that you have.

I placed an order with Skycraftsurplus for 2000 feet 18Ga SPT2. They discounted to $.08. With shipping to NY of $31 (4 day ground) the total came to $.0955 per foot delivered. That is the best I've seen.

• 4 weeks later...

Whats better? SPT1 or SPT2? I want to buy only one, But unsure what to go with? To my knowledge, they are both the same thing only the insulation on SPT1 is thinner, and in turn lighter? Does anyone have a good place to buy SPT1 in bulk, other than Chrstmaslightshow.com? I love his price, But... I',m employed and I could always do cheaper!

THis is my first post and I'm new to all of this! Your thoughts please,

ny_yankee, I do believe that the only difference between the SPT1 and SPT2 is the size of the insulation,as you said. I'm going with the SPT2 just because I figure it will be durable and might possibly last a little while longer. I think that although the SPT1 insulation is thinner, it isn't lighter because the material is opaque. Also you can buy both in green and brown, and possibly even black and white though I don't think that black and white are as common as green and brown.

Let me throw this in. The SPT wire that Paul sells has a UV inhibitor in the insulation. Keeps the UV from breaking down the insulation. Another variable that you might want to look into.

Chuck