Light-O-Rama Forums

Best place to buy SPT2?

EthanP

What is the best place to buy spt2? I'll need about 1000 feet. It would also be nice if I could get vampire plugs from the same source. I'm also thinking about the possibility of using a shared neutral for some of my channels. What are the things to keep in mind while doing this?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smjosephrn

• EthanP

• Anthony in Houston

• EARLE W. TALLEY

Ethan , I purchased 1000 ft from skycraftsurplus.com for .08 per ft. Check this out, but the shipping might be too high. They do not have the plugs.

EWT

I was looking at Action Lighting for the spt, but the price seemed too high. I might get the plugs, though, from either there or CDI; I still need to count how many I'll need. Skycraft's shipping seems not too bad to me when compared to what AL's total price would have been. I'll have to look into it more. Thanks, Earle.

Ethan, as I remember I got my plugs from Noveltylights.com , but like anything else you must buy in volume to get a good price, I got 75 ea which lowered the price some.

EWT

I get my spt2 wire from Home Depot. Saves on Shipping (the stuff is HEAVY!) Buy the largest spool they have for the best savings. Then buy your vampire plugs online for the best deal.

I was in a pinch last winter and ran out of spt2 that I purchased from Action Lighting. My trip to home depot did not work out that well for me because there spt2 wire did no fit the spt2 vampire plugs I purchased from action lighting. The insulation was different. Just a word of caution.

I think I know what you mean. Initally, I was having difficulty making tv plug contacts bite far enough into the wire. I ended up having to use a tool to further depress the wire into the plug because the cap wouldn't completely do the job.

Well, wherever you are going to get your wire you need to know where you are going to place your lights and other things and measure to get the number of feet needed. I thought I had enough, but went out and measured and found out I needed another 1500 ft. Like everyone has said you need more extension cords then you think. Mine, just need to be longer.

BTW when I was looking for spt2 both Lowe's and HD wanted .32 per ft. don't know what it is now but skycraft is right down the road, I will vist them next week.

I think my total only came up to about 900' and that was after rounding up to the nearest 5 feet for each channel. Plus, I already have other extension cords that I didn't factor in. I think I'm planning on getting it from skycraft, but I'm going to go see HD's price sometime soon if I get a chance.

As some previous posters have suggested -- look at the total cost including shipping as this stuff is heavy. Shipping costs will probably be what makes the difference. I am in the market for 2,000' of SPT1 and vampire plugs. Here is what I have seen looking at various sites and having made purchases in the past:

Local Big Box Stores -- Lowes, Home Depot, etc. I have never seen their prices anywhere near what you can get delivered. I would use them only as a last resort, need it now, sort of thing. Plug pricing is really bad. And, as some have said if you want to use their cord with your plugs make sure your plugs fit.

ChristmasLightShows.Com -- SPT1 $100/1,000', SPT2 $105/1,000', plugs for $0.60. They have a sale upcomig so prices could get better. Looks like they use FedX ground to ship. They are in Kentucky so shipping out to me in Idaho is expensive

Action Lighting -- SPT1 $76.65/500' SPT2 $81.35/500' plugs for $0.69/$0.73 male/female. They are higher priced as they don't seem to have dropped their wire prices since last year like most have. But they are located in Montana and I have bought from them in the past and shipping to me in Idaho is pretty cheap. But, right now I probably can't save enough in shipping to make up for their higher prices.

CreativeDisplays -- SPT3 $110/1,000 plugs $0.60. Not sure about shipping.

NoveltyLights -- SPT1 $130/1,000' They had a free shipping promo over Memorial Day.

Scott Tuthill

christmaslightshows.com takes me to a site called winterland accessories which sells SPT2 1000' for $225 and shipping UPS ground to CA is $30 This makes it $255 total or $127.50 per 500' only a nominal savings over HD's

Action Lighting has the SPT2 green wire in 500' lengths for $81.35 plus shipping to CA via UPS ground is only $11.57 for a total of $92.92 which is not bad as it beats the crud out of HD's price. Plus it's green!

Creative Displays does have zip wire for $110 for 1000' feet which makes it an exceptional deal. Shipping to CA is $27.01 for a total of $137! A savings of almost 50% over HD's. Nice

Not sure what is happening to you. Try this link

smjosephrn wrote:

christmaslightshows.com takes me to a site called winterland accessories which sells SPT2 1000' for $225 and shipping UPS ground to CA is $30 This makes it $255 total or $127.50 per 500' only a nominal savings over HD's

smjosephrn wrote:

Scott, I must be having some difficulties. I didn't see your link in the last post.

Not sure what is going on but I pasted the link into reply but then it didn't make it through to the forum. Seems like it got stripped out.

I sent you a private message with the link -- that looks like it worked.

Scott