Light-O-Rama Forums

d-Light did it...wheres LOR's!!!!

Ponddude

I would say that it is just a servo controller card, with very nice feature set for a servo controller card..

Where as the DIO-32 card is far more than just a servo controller card, and I won't be surprised if the servo features are not as extensive.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ponddude

• LightORamaDan

• thebaronn

• tonyjmartin

Having used Servo's with the CTB08D, I must say that the Servo controller supplying its own 5VDC is sounds like a very nice feature. Other than that, range limiting is the only other feature that I see as translating into something truly useful. I still hold out hope that a future LOR update will allow channel restrictions (on/off only, intensity limiting...) to give this feature to all controllers.

From reading the DIO32 manual, it certainly will do more than Servo control. If if most of the other stuff is above and beyond what you/I do, at the very least it can do 16 servos and 16 standard channels. The question remains, will it be worth it price-wise?

I thought I would answer some of the questions in this thread and leak some information earlier than I planned. The DIO32 will be on sale during our summer sale, regular price is $149.95 sale price has not been determined (will be less than $149.95). The DIO32’s servo driver module supports many different parameters such as pulse width (for a variety of servos with different ranges). Max and Min values to keep your servo within the range of the installation… etc…

The DIO32 has 4 – 8 channel ports. ( A thru D). Ports C & D have standard 3 pin servo connectors as well as daughter card connectors. You can plug 16 servos directly into ports C & D. You can actually use the other 16 channels for servos resulting in a total of 32 servos BUT you need to wire up your own servo headers for those additional ports because Ports A & B only have the “regular” daughter card headers.

The DIO32 and its family of daughter cards were designed to give people the building blocks to build a variety of different controllers. High power AC, Mechanical relays, servos, etc… You can build a massive 200+ amp, 32 channel controller with the DIO32 which is pretty cool. However while testing the DIO32 we decided that it would be nice to also have a smaller servo card. Specifically the DIO32 would not fit into the base of Light-O-Rama Charlie (the animated puppet that we bring to trade shows). That got us to thinking and we sat down and designed a small card specifically for animatronic applications.

We wanted this card to be compact, run on a single power supply with a wide voltage input range, capable of running off batteries, able to power an ELL for remote operations, able to power a mini-director for sound, capable of driving servos, DC motors, LEDs, have digital logic level outputs and multiple digital inputs. Thus was born the Light-O-Rama “Servo Dog”. “Servo Dog”???? Originally we were going to call it the DO8 and that sort of looks like “Dog” so we were going to call it the “Dog” but better minds prevailed and we decided to call it the “Servo Dog”.

The Servo Dog is neat. It has 8 output channels and 6 input channels. (14 total) It can be daisy chained into a LOR network like any other LOR controller. It has standalone capability with multiple stored sequences so different triggers can do different things. The triggers can also be received by the PC for interactive control. The outputs are not only servo… They can individually be configured as servo or digital output. Two of the channels have high power outputs (like the CMB16 card) and those two channels can be configured as servo, digital output OR PWM channels to control DC motors, LED spots, lights, etc… The Servo Dog supports both LOR and DMX.

The Servo Dog has a single 6 to 12 VDC volt input with a BIG voltage regulator that will supply up to 5 Amps of 5V power for the servos. If you decide to use the two PWM capable channels in PWM mode, you can use logic level PWM signals OR you can provide a secondary voltage up to 60VDC to power those channels.

The Servo Dog will be less than $100 and will start shipping on or before Aug 15, 2009. We will begin accepting pre-orders for the Servo Dog during the Summer Sale. Am I sure about the Aug 15 date? Well yes I am. If you pre-order the Servo Dog during the sale and we are not shipping Servo Dogs by Aug 15 then you will get your pre-ordered Servo Dog(s) for free! (you pay shipping) ….

Dan

Edit: Changed typo in Max Servo Supply Current. Should have been 5, I had 6.

If I could kiss Dan I would!!

Like I said...LOR's is ALWAYS better!

*watches calendar for June sale*:)

The Servo Dog sounds like a snazzy little unit! The smaller footprint & output count will be most handy when you don't need to recreate the entire Haunted Mansion in one place.

Ponddude wrote:

If I could kiss Dan I would!!

I think you are. 11.gif

By any chance do you have a manual to drool over?

(I know, you tell us something and we still want more, but thats a good thing!)

thebaronn wrote:

I already have my credit card # punched into the web store...LOL

A manual would be great. I have to tell you, I planned on just using servo's which would kind of waste the DIO board. However, then I came up for uses for the other channels on the DIO board. Now I want both!!

Dan...you are an evil genious!

thebaronn wrote:

By any chance do you have a manual to drool over?

The manual is not ready yet. We will get one out as soon as possible.

Dan

Dan - A little OT

Any idea when the outputs on the DC MP3 are going to become active? ( thinkin' I may need the "dog" to run my shows if they don't become active anytime soon)

The outputs on the DC-MP3 will be be active this year. They are only low power digital outputs (25ma)- on/off

Dan

Dan I absolutely LOVE when you keep us updated. This information really helps use plan what we are doing throughout the year, even if it doesn't have to deal with Christmas!

Wow ! Great news. Thanks for the update Dan.

I think the price point is very good on both boards. Not sure how much I can get done with it for this Halloween but 2010, look out!

Can't wait to see the manual on both. I have my credit card all warmed up for a couple of these boards.

LightORamaDan wrote:

The outputs on the DC-MP3 will be be active this year. They are only low power digital outputs (25ma)- on/off

Dan

Just need them to trigger sequences in a different DC-MP3

Ponddude wrote:

Dan I absolutely LOVE when you keep us updated. This information really helps use plan what we are doing throughout the year, even if it doesn't have to deal with Christmas!

I have been a bit quiet about new projects. There are a mind boggling number of projects going on at LOR. However because of some missed schedules in the past I have been somewhat hesitant to mention everything that is going on. But in this case I decided to let the cat out of the bag and in the coming months there are going to be a number of cats coming out of that bag! Once we are sure of schedules on a project I will release the information.

Jeff Juneman wrote:

Wow ! Great news. Thanks for the update Dan.

I think the price point is very good on both boards. Not sure how much I can get done with it for this Halloween but 2010, look out!

Can't wait to see the manual on both. I have my credit card all warmed up for a couple of these boards.

Here is a preliminary manual for the DIO32. It will be updated prior to the product release but it will give you a feel for the capabilities.

Dr. Jones wrote:

LightORamaDan wrote:

Dan

Just need them to trigger sequences in a different DC-MP3

That will work.