Light-O-Rama Forums

d-Light did it...wheres LOR's!!!!

Ponddude

So d-Light introduced their servo board today...when are we going to get our servo board from LOR?! Now granted the d-Light version does just servo's and I know LOR's DIO will do a lot more...but I still want it!!

COME ON!! Release the DIO32!!!!!!!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ponddude

• LightORamaDan

• thebaronn

• tonyjmartin

Yeah, I saw that too. Hmmm, wonder when Dan will announce their 32 channel servo board. I might have to try one of these out if I want to have a chance of using this technology this Halloween.

I happened to see some early released designs at the Pac NW Mini last Saturday. Bill Foley was able to extract some early boards from Dan to show us. So I know they are on the way!

zman wrote:

I happened to see some early released designs at the Pac NW Mini last Saturday. Bill Foley was able to extract some early boards from Dan to show us. So I know they are on the way!

Early boards? Nice! Is a 32 servo controller the only one?

I hate to say it, but several 8 servo controllers may be better.

Can you share any more specifics on his new offerings? I thought LOR was coming out with a new board that could control 32 servos AND do some other things. The competitions new 8 channel board is just for servo control I believe.

I really like LORs software and prefer to stick to LOR products but I think I am going to pre-order 1 of the competitors 8 channel boards to test out and try to get my skulls going. If LOR is able to get their's out in time and be price competitive, I might get one of the LOR boards as well to control the other couple talking skulls.

Like CENIUM said , "I'm under a time crunch to get my routines complete for Halloween". With Halloween being on a Saturday this year, it's going to be a bigger event so I want to get my new stuff done.

Has anyone checked out Aurora from AuroraShow? I like the wave form graphics and the light design features. Not as happy with the programming page. The demo version keeps shutting off and does not let you do as much as LORs software. That alone kept me from parting w/ another$100 to try it out. I would like to see LOR incorporate some of those features in it's next update. Hint hint...

Bring on the new boards Dan. Please!

Jeff Juneman wrote:

Can you share any more specifics on his new offerings? I thought LOR was coming out with a new board that could control 32 servos AND do some other things. The competitions new 8 channel board is just for servo control I believe.

I really like LORs software and prefer to stick to LOR products but I think I am going to pre-order 1 of the competitors 8 channel boards to test out and try to get my skulls going. If LOR is able to get their's out in time and be price competitive, I might get one of the LOR boards as well to control the other couple talking skulls.

Like CENIUM said , "I'm under a time crunch to get my routines complete for Halloween". With Halloween being on a Saturday this year, it's going to be a bigger event so I want to get my new stuff done.

Has anyone checked out Aurora from AuroraShow? I like the wave form graphics and the light design features. Not as happy with the programming page. The demo version keeps shutting off and does not let you do as much as LORs software. That alone kept me from parting w/ another$100 to try it out. I would like to see LOR incorporate some of those features in it's next update. Hint hint...

Bring on the new boards Dan. Please!

I to was interested in aurora, mostly because this year i will be running several firefly and it is a PITA to sequence on S2. But I search the LOR and PC forums for aurora and did not read any posts that made me run and buy it.

Now I have not actually touched a DIO 32 yet, but from the manual, which I have read several times, and the preliminary information LOR has released, please realize that their board IS NOT just a servo board. There are 32 channels on the actual board, and out of those 16 of them can be used for servo control. The rest can be used as as input triggers, much like the input header LOR released. Now, with the DIO board, LOR will also be releasing several daughter boards that can plug into the board to control other things. One of those boards is a High Current, Filtered 8-Channel Triac Dimming board. The next is a 16-Channel Triac Dimming board. The third is an 8-Channel Relay board and the last one is a 16-Channel Connection Board which will allow you to easily connect everything to the board. So, the basic moral to the story is although the board will control double the amount of servos as the d-Light board, it will also do A LOT of other things. LOR's board is something that has been along time coming and I personally can not wait for it to come out.

Also, here is the manual...
http://lightorama.com/Documents/DIO32_Man_Web.pdf

thebaronn wrote:

zman wrote:

Early boards? Nice! Is a 32 servo controller the only one?

I hate to say it, but several 8 servo controllers may be better.

Sorry, should have clarified. For halloween the servo portion is the only thing that interests me. separate anamatronics accross the yard seem to be better served by a couple of 8 servo cards.

It sad, but the LOR DIO seems like a lot of stuff I will probably never use, and/or understand!! LOL! I read the manual and I totally need a translator! Translate to 1st grade English! College obviously paid off for me!

To be honest with you, the more I think about it, the more I think that their price is high for just a servo controller. But thats just me. LOR usually give you a lot more bang for your buck.

Ponddude wrote:

To be honest with you, the more I think about it, the more I think that their price is high for just a servo controller. But thats just me. LOR usually give you a lot more bang for your buck.

I have no clue what a "good" price is!
Right now I am using a dmx controlled servo board and it was only $49.99
But, it sucks (or I suck, hard to say) so I welcome this.

Ponddude wrote:

To be honest with you, the more I think about it, the more I think that their price is high for just a servo controller. But thats just me.

A little research reveals that there's more to this new unit than you're assuming.

tonyjmartin wrote:

Ponddude wrote:
To be honest with you, the more I think about it, the more I think that their price is high for just a servo controller. But thats just me.

A little research reveals that there's more to this new unit than you're assuming.

This is direct from their site, and all it says is servos. Also, Darryl hasn't said anything but that they control servos over on their forums...

Features:

240 steps per servo
Use inexpensive hobby RC servos (analog or digital) and most other 5VDC servos
Works with existing compatible sequencer software
HIGHLY configurable via D-Light Hardware Utility
Up to 8 custom servo tables to accommodate different servo types
Range limiting performed in hardware via custom tables
Enclosed in an rugged aluminum housing
Self-powered servos. No need for external power to your servos.
Integrates seamlessly into existing controller network
Includes 110VAC to 12VDC power adapter

Care to elaborate?

Ponddude wrote:

tonyjmartin wrote:
Ponddude wrote:

This is direct from their site, and all it says is servos. Also, Darryl hasn't said anything but that they control servos over on their forums...

Features:

240 steps per servo
Use inexpensive hobby RC servos (analog or digital) and most other 5VDC servos
Works with existing compatible sequencer software
HIGHLY configurable via D-Light Hardware Utility
Up to 8 custom servo tables to accommodate different servo types
Range limiting performed in hardware via custom tables
Enclosed in an rugged aluminum housing
Self-powered servos. No need for external power to your servos.
Integrates seamlessly into existing controller network
Includes 110VAC to 12VDC power adapter

Care to elaborate?

i will elaborate...........

Looks just like a firefly module!!!

So now I can look through a bin with 15 FF modules and 1 servo, lol!!

Ponddude wrote:

Care to elaborate?

Nope. You did a pretty good job of doing that. Seems a bit more sophisticated than the comment "just a servo controller" suggests. No?

Wait...now I am really confused.

Everything I posted shows that it is a servo controller. I don't consider the case anything impressive, I don't consider the network impressive, I don't consider and every servo controller has 240 levels of controller.

I don't maybe I am missing something, but this controller JUST controls servos.