Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
deblen

Strobe Lights

Looks like time for a O'scope to get some better understanding what is going on. I wonder if some of this voltage you are seeing is in part is the CEMF from the transformer. If I was to add up the voltage of both the transformer and the NPN transistor, we have 3.12 volts across the strobe unit. Which puts us about 3 volts above the applied voltage and the only way that could be is that CEMF is involved.

I suppose you will need to do like I did when I converted a string of 35 lamps to 35 LEDs. I know that my LEDs are suppose to be max operating current of 24mA.
And with no filter cap I know that the max peak voltage and hence max peak current draw will be more than my DVM will show. So, I have settled for about 19mA and adjusted my limiting resistor so that I do not exceed this current level. Much different than what I calculated.

Do you know what is the max current rating of the strobe?

Interesting problem, thanks for sharing.

Max

I do need a 2ch O'scope, just can't seem to find the money to drop onto a good one.

I have no specifications on the strobes, other-then is says 12Vdc on the bottom.

"I wonder if some of this voltage you are seeing is in part is the CEMF from the transformer" Thanking the same thing.

ps: I love your Icon pic under your name, Very Cool. :P

Well I lifted it off another user. I forgot which forum he was on because I didnt want to crowd in on his use of it. Well turns out he is on this forum. NWSanta is a member here and it was from him I lifted the advatar from.

Ya, I love it too. Love the look and dropped jaw when puss sees the tassel wiggle. Then the iris grow wide open. The slow first couple slaps and then the rapture of multi fast slaps at it. It's great.

Sorry NWSanta, just had to grab it. My only sarrow is that I cant seem to be able to use it any where else that I frequent. Would love to use it everywhere else too.

Max

Hi,

Thankks for the reply, I will invest in a convertor, is the way to go.

Deblen