Light-O-Rama Forums

First Year

midnight302

I heard that all last year till the ones that thought I was nuts came and saw the display dropped their jaws...

This is how much my wife loves me though...

dsc00330.jpg

Third year here, neighbor was just over yesterday giggling at me for working christmas stuff in garage. I am currently designing a new garage to support this habit, and my other of restoring my wife's 55' car.

Who cares what those not in the know don't know? Let them think you're crazy, but all of us here know you're a very unique individual that is very much appreciated when the lights go on each year. Light crazy is good, all year long.

TODD wrote:

This is my garage. I don't know why I even pack it all up at the end of the season.

You mean there's people who actually put everything away each year? What do they do with all the empty space in their garage all summer???

My friends & neighbors think I'm nuts too, cause I'm always working on something for my display throughout the year :D

I'm not doing much now cause of my broken wrist, but when it's all healed up, I will be getting busy working on various elements of my display.

Yes, its normal for people to think that.

Honestly, they start to "get it" when they see your show are realize what must have gone into it.

My neighbor was just amazed when he finally saw it working ... and even then, most people think all the work is in the setup of lights ... and don't realize all the planning and programming that goes into these shows.

This year my neighbor wants to join in on the madness ... so I'm buying him 16 or 32 channels. And my Dad, who never even put up lights in the last 15 years ... is doing 64 channels.

So the funny thing is ... they will think your crazy / geeking, whatever ... but soon they want to join in ... and may find themselves addicted as well.

Its all worth it ... stay the course and take pride in doing something really special.

Scott

No one says I am crazy or a geek, but I read about some who lost their wife do to this addiction, oh and for going to church.

I had emails from a few in that area. I came close because I worshiped this addiction instead of getting some of the important stuff done regarding the house.

This year I better watch myself or I will be using 112 LOR channels on my car and a campground.

Nonetheless people really enjoyed the light show last Christmas when I was running AL controllers and the AD software.

LOL, my friend that's helping me with my display always says "We have plenty of time to get this figured out! Stop stressing over it!"

I get embarrassed and then keep my mouth shut.:shock: I do know that I need to get going though. I just lost all of my sequences (already had 3/5 done!) due to a computer crash, so I'll definately be more careful about backing stuff up...

Everyone always asks me why I'm working on this know, and I respond "my mind is still in the Christmas stage." A Christmas display is really a year-round thing, though. Some take it more seriously than others. I spend way to much time reading threads on the PC forums. I should be sequencing and planning during that time, but instead my mind is sucked in by the internet.

-Tyler

tyler9613 wrote:

Everyone always asks me why I'm working on this know, and I respond "my mind is still in the Christmas stage." A Christmas display is really a year-round thing, though. Some take it more seriously than others. I spend way to much time reading threads on the PC forums. I should be sequencing and planning during that time, but instead my mind is sucked in by the internet. -Tyler

I agree it is a year round project....but my wife thinks otherwise. As for "Planet Christmas" I have stayed away from there for the past 3 months, but from Sept. to mid November I was on PC very little.

I had to get a reality check and come back down to earth. In order for me to set up my ferris wheel I had to give my angels away...do to a lack of space......I put my 13 ft mini mega tree on the front porch....do to a lack of space.

For the size of my front yard, most things on PC are not good for my display....but leaping arches or leaping poles will work. Ferris wheels, carousals, trains, flying swings, inflatables, well take what small yard I have away.

So I am going back to lights and LOR controllers and skip those big items.

And while it is still winter I will sequence, but after mid-May I will need to stop sequencing and get the things that need to be done on the house and yard.