Light-O-Rama Forums

Mini Trees

Judy

I had a great idea on how to create mini trees. Purchase the wire cages used to protect tomatoe plants ($1.29 ea) Turn upside down. Wire the three loose ends together and you have a perfect shape for a mini tree.
Load on as many as 5 strings of lights and use electrical tape to secure to wire frame. They are awesome. Already created 16 trees this past month.

Judy

Well excuse me. One of the more popular sites discussed using easels for the base. Then having to make swivel bases to turn the easel to apply lites. Just thought I would share my own idea.

• 1 month later...

Yes I used tomatoes cages to make my mini trees also. But I used 2 cages to get the round effect staggering the horizonal wires. I cut the ends at the top even, then bend the top 1 to 1 1/2 inches straight up. Then insert a 3/8 inside copper tube around 2 inches long. One end of the tube is flat with 3/8 hole drilled into it. The tube is then solder into place. This gives me a way to hang the tree up for storage. Thinging about installing a hook inside the tree on my next ones, so I can hang a tree inside a tree cutting down on storage space.

Thanks Mr....

I deleted some stuff off the site and never got ride of the links. I will update it later.

I purchased 40 tomato cages last month :P great minds think alike, though I didn't think of the idea, hehe i found it in several others videos, and on these forms.

No longer do we need to pay the 19.99 for the stores mini trees hehe!

What height of the mini trees do most people use. Looking to buy tomato cages this week and chicken wire. I plan on putting two hundred R, G,WH on them.

I used the 32" tall cages. I used 200 clearminis , 50 C6 red LED's and 7.5' of green rope light spiraled on each tree. Fortunately, where I use the trees I don't need any more light from either the red or green.

• 2 years later...

True Value in my area has tomato cages for .79 cents each, on sale until the 30th!

• 4 months later...

Just picked up 12 at .99 ea. I never thought of using 2 to round it out a bit. Now I need to go get more, and maybe chicken wire, and a boat load of lights....

Mark

WiggyHD wrote:

Just picked up 12 at .99 ea. I never thought of using 2 to round it out a bit. Now I need to go get more, and maybe chicken wire, and a boat load of lights....

Mark
If you use to cages together you may not need the chicken wire. Did the two cage method this spring, liked the result and didn't need chicken wire.

Here ya go Judy. Some pictures.
http://forums.lightorama.com/forum80/26517-6.html

I tried PVC pipe at first. Went with the tomatoe cages.

Version 6 was the lucky number for me. Used zip ties to hold everything in place.

Oh BTW....they come in different sizes. I had no idea...LOL
So I have some giant cages to add into my show next year.

David Rise wrote:

Here ya go Judy. Some pictures.
http://forums.lightorama.com/forum80/26517-6.html

I tried PVC pipe at first. Went with the tomatoe cages.

Version 6 was the lucky number for me. Used zip ties to hold everything in place.

Oh BTW....they come in different sizes. I had no idea...LOL
So I have some giant cages to add into my show next year.

I'm not sure if Judy will see your reply. The last time she logged onto the forums was Sunday June 22, 2008, the same day she started the thread. Over 3 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

My first batch of mini-trees started rusting after one season, especially around the spot welds so I now give them a good coat (or three) of outdoor paint. Since I've been doing this I haven't tripped a GFI as a side benefit(knock wood).