Light-O-Rama Forums

Board Vandalism

tyler9613

BadSCR wrote:

I want to add a basic Closed loop security system (I think it would only cost $70)
(a latching relay, some switches, connectors, power supply, Alarm speaker, voltage comparator, and some missilaneous parts)

That would be fairly easy to achieve. The comms cable has four unused cores, which could be used as an alarm loop. The easiest method would be to break these cores out immediately before the PC, the fit a modified lead to the final controller that shorted the appropriate pins on the connector. This way, the alarm would sound if any of the comms cables were unplugged or cut. You would then still have the flexibility to connect the controllers up in any order you wished.

Regards,

Alan.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BadSCR

• Paul C

• tyler9613

• Paul Roberson

Alan C wrote:

BadSCR wrote:
I want to add a basic Closed loop security system (I think it would only cost $70)
(a latching relay, some switches, connectors, power supply, Alarm speaker, voltage comparator, and some missilaneous parts)

That would be fairly easy to achieve. The comms cable has four unused cores, which could be used as an alarm loop. The easiest method would be to break these cores out immediately before the PC, the fit a modified lead to the final controller that shorted the appropriate pins on the connector. This way, the alarm would sound if any of the comms cables were unplugged or cut. You would then still have the flexibility to connect the controllers up in any order you wished.

Regards,

Alan.

I am currently doing this. When the CAT5 is cut/disconnected it activates an alarm bell and 5/500 watt halogen lights outside and an alarm inside. In case I don't hear it the outside bell cycles on and off in one minute intervals and after ten minutes all the outside stuff shuts off so not to annoy the neighbors.

Dan

PipefitterDan wrote:

Alan C wrote:
BadSCR wrote:

Regards,

Alan.

I am currently doing this. When the CAT5 is cut/disconnected it activates an alarm bell and 5/500 watt halogen lights outside and an alarm inside. In case I don't hear it the outside bell cycles on and off in one minute intervals and after ten minutes all the outside stuff shuts off so not to annoy the neighbors.

Dan

Can you tell me excactly what to do to achieve this?

Thanks,

Tyler

Alan C wrote:

That would be fairly easy to achieve. The comms cable has four unused cores, which could be used as an alarm loop. The easiest method would be to break these cores out immediately before the PC, the fit a modified lead to the final controller that shorted the appropriate pins on the connector. This way, the alarm would sound if any of the comms cables were unplugged or cut...

Regards,

Alan.

I would put a resistor at the end to terminate the alarm loop.
This way a voltage comparator could detect cuts, shorts, unplug-ings, and other tamperings.

Yes, I have read about controllers being taken. Don't remember on what forum.

My late Dad was a "Master Locksmith" for 36 years - he was the guy who taught the teachers about locksmithing - seriously! He had a theory - "If they want it bad enough they will get it". The same as saying - "Locks are there to keep honest people honest - determined thieves will succeed in their dastardly deeds".

Sounds kind of negative, but it's the truth.

SO - deter the casual thief. Install the security cameras and the signs letting them know you have cameras - if your cameras work - evidence for the Police - and you will know if it's the neighbors kids. When you mount your controller boxes, go to the fastener store and spend a few extra bucks for security screws - and use them. Hide your controllers behind fences, in your mega tree, or what ever - be creative. I have timers on my exterior lighting that come on after the show - motion with spot lights, and normal yard lighting.

Having a web site is fun, but it just shows people where you are and where they can go to snag stuff when you aren't looking. I get enough traffic that I don't need to tell them through a web site, (just my personal thought).

Remember - your drawing lots of people to your home to view the fun. A certain percentage (small percentage) will be wishing some of your stuff was theirs, and there isn't much you can do about that. Do what you can and move on. Spending too much thought on "The Bad Guys" will only distract from the fun you are having. Expect it to happen sooner or later, and you won't be so disappointed when it does. If you have a fairly big display, you should have one or more spare controllers anyway. Hey- Poop Happens!

Carry on and have fun - And remember - some well placed motion sensors/lights with lots of bright spots will chase even the cats away.

I have 5 right time box's mounted on the front of my house each one has 3 holes drilled in the box and a 5 inch metal flat stock bar drilled with the same holes. I use a 3" wood screw with a flat washer on it to go threw the holes and screw in to a 2x4 that is mounted on the house and painted the same color as the house. And a pad lock on each box. It is very hard to get the box of with out removing the screws from the inside. But I really don't believe in any real full proof way to stop a person from stealing them if they really wanted to

Dale L

You can go as far with this as you want, it just takes time and money.

Some people on here have the ability to come up with and make elaborate security systems (in my opinion) which are really neat and inspiring to read about, and we are talking about protecting something that we dump piles of dough into so I'm all for making sure it's safe.

But for me when I get beyond the simplicity of plugging lights into extension cords, that knowledge starts buzzing over my head.

I feel that while the display is running, everything is somewhat safe. It's after hours that's a problem.

The proper use of mounting, disguise, signs/postings/stickers and cameras are great to keep honest people honest as mentioned before.

The only thing I use so far is a digital light switch that I picked up at the Depot to turn my outdoor lights on and off, it became useful for flipping the lights on when she show stops. In fact, it adjusts to daylight savings and has lots of flexible options. It just replaces the typical rocker switch in your wall.

For next season I may try buying two or three (motion activated) flood lights mounted at the edge of the yard pointed towards the house. Then I'll put them on extra channels or a separate timer to come on once the show stops. They shouldn't light up unless someone comes onto the yard. This is just until the snow comes and covers everything and makes my 7ch arches look like 3ch, you snow guys will understand that one:)

Actually, right now I couldn't take anything down if I wanted to.

I do feel like a well lit house and yard will keep the odds in you favor, but a little extra couldn't hurt either

• 4 weeks later...

#4 - the answer!

Me, I have 4 camera's the have 30 IR leds - The night vision is unbelievable! This time around a bought wired cameras. They go into a USB controller into one of my PC's. Total cost $100 from Ebay. it sends me emails when their is motion. Plus I also have motion activate lights that also turn on a buzzer.

The problem is kids with nothing better to do the mess up your display. If you make noise and turn on the lights the kids will take off.

Kids broke into my car years ago, the cameras gave the cops just enough of an image to know who it was.

My advice; cameras, lights, noise and now a monkey with a club... Anyone know where I can get one already trained?

why can't people my age make something of their life

I am a Firefighter with a local fire company, Ride operator with hershey park, and a skywarn spotter with the national weather service why is there somepeople that are my age that has to break the law like destroy something like Light O rama

what we need to do this just hit me did you ever see thoes gag shocker items like a stapler that zaps you or a remote etc it uses quartz but if we could make something that zaps someone but not hurt them just scare's them they just might leave

for instance they try to knock over something they touch it they get zapped so as the no good punk learns not to do that the touch the controllers they get zapped they learn not to touch

if only we could do a bug zapper effect but not as intense and won't damage our equiptment or cause a fire a bug zapper is basicly a wire coil when something touches more than one seciton it makes a shortcut for electricty to pass

here is a sketch (kind of) of my idea we could use very fine wire

the red mark is the decoration on the image the blue is the wire coil

Attached files 172684=9871-f.bmp

T110

if only we could do a bug zapper effect but not as intense and won't damage our equiptment or cause a fire a bug zapper is basicly a wire coil when something touches more than one seciton it makes a shortcut for electricty to pass
Cool idea, gives a new meaning to "Caution, High Voltage" signs

This year I was planning to leave the controllers in the garage. I'm going to run an power and CAT5 outlet to the front of the garage and run all the cords under the door. It'll mean more extension cord length, but I'll feel better having the box away from temptation.