Light-O-Rama Forums

Fogger

thebaronn

Hello!

Im looking for 4-6 small Foggers that are DMX controlled with a fast response time. I plan on using them as the smoke for "cannons" on a pirate ship.

Thank you

Eric

If the cannons are going to be physically close together, you could probably use some plastic drainage tubing and duct the fog to each cannon, then use compressed air with a solenoid to blow the fog out when you need it... would save a lot of money on foggers and fluid.

Maybe put a thin plastic membrane in the end of the barrel and score it in an 'x' shape... would be enough to hold the fog in when no pressure, but would open and let it all out when you hit the solenoid for the air... just a thought.

bhays wrote:

If the cannons are going to be physically close together, you could probably use some plastic drainage tubing and duct the fog to each cannon, then use compressed air with a solenoid to blow the fog out when you need it... would save a lot of money on foggers and fluid.

Maybe put a thin plastic membrane in the end of the barrel and score it in an 'x' shape... would be enough to hold the fog in when no pressure, but would open and let it all out when you hit the solenoid for the air... just a thought.

DUDE?? Is that english?? Guess I never should have dropped out of college.

Can I get some sort of mechanism to shoot out this air?? (im very new to the DMX stuff)

Thank you

Eric

You could actually just use a fan...

A lot of folks who do Halloween displays are using pneumatic props so have compressed air available, but a simple fan might also work..or even a speaker..

http://www.scaryguys.com/aircannon.htm
http://www.creepynights.org/Projects/2007/Civil-War-Cannon/index.html

Heck, if you could figure out a way to automate them, you could use an airzooka type device and get a nice big poof...If you really want the effect of a real cannon you'd probably want to use actually compressed air cannons...

Sorry, too many years running a haunted house.

bhays wrote:

You could actually just use a fan...

A lot of folks who do Halloween displays are using pneumatic props so have compressed air available, but a simple fan might also work..or even a speaker..

http://www.scaryguys.com/aircannon.htm
http://www.creepynights.org/Projects/2007/Civil-War-Cannon/index.html

Heck, if you could figure out a way to automate them, you could use an airzooka type device and get a nice big poof...If you really want the effect of a real cannon you'd probably want to use actually compressed air cannons...

Sorry, too many years running a haunted house.

OMG! I think im in trouble.

Thats why i was thinking of small foggers, I thought they might and a quick enough response to to resemble the poof!

Now I have no clue.

The fan would have too much time to ramp up to create a poof

the compressed air would work the best - too much pressure though would dissapate the fog. - bassicly a confetti cannon with fog injected into it

another trick is to use mist - not to practicle as it involves quite an investment

as for a dmx fogger with good response - F100 by High End

I was looking at confettie cannons......can i shoot candy out of them, about 20ft?

And I was thinking that maybe a poof isnt that important.....

I do have an F1700 if i decide to try your idea, it seems a tad overwhelming right now.

I use two 4" black hard plastic drian pipes each one is 5 foot long for cannons on my 30 foot pirate ship each one has a wal-mart $20 400 watt fogger sitting behind it. Both are hooked up to LOR and I have them both fire off about 2 seconds before the big cannon boom that is the firring of the cannons and I get a lot of smoke out the ends. I also have a small strobe mounted with a screw to the top of the cannon and goes off for a few seconds right after the smoke comes out to give it a real explosin kinda look. you could also mount red LED in the tube to look like fire. I did all this to lor and didnt have to buy any DMX stuff. and every one loves it when the cannons fire.

Dale L

you could also run a small 1" peice of black flex drian line down the cannon so all the fog is released just before the end of the barrel

Dale wrote:

I use two 4" black hard plastic drian pipes each one is 5 foot long for cannons on my 30 foot pirate ship each one has a wal-mart $20 400 watt fogger sitting behind it. Both are hooked up to LOR and I have them both fire off about 2 seconds before the big cannon boom that is the firring of the cannons and I get a lot of smoke out the ends. I also have a small strobe mounted with a screw to the top of the cannon and goes off for a few seconds right after the smoke comes out to give it a real explosin kinda look. you could also mount red LED in the tube to look like fire. I did all this to lor and didnt have to buy any DMX stuff. and every one loves it when the cannons fire.

Dale L

you could also run a small 1" peice of black flex drian line down the cannon so all the fog is released just before the end of the barrel

ooooooooo!!! Do you have any pictures??

I bought 2 Chauvet vertical foggers($225 each) I plan to use as my 'pyrotechnics'(probably to be used appropriately for songs like the ending of TSO's Sarajevo). It's 1200 watt heater that has a fast reaction(shoots up smoke up to 8 feet high). It has a delayed reaction of a mere 1/2 sec. I haven't tried controlling it via DMX but it really is a very efficient fogger.

I experimented on a confetti(the one you pull) and it sure is very nice to end a show with a bang. But, I can't always be there outside to manually pull the strings, so I'm currently experimenting on pneumatics(I own one I used for halloween made of a door closer) to make it automatic. I'm using a solenoid valve to turn valve(where air passes) on or off. Well, the idea is, instead of the it propping up a corpse, it will pull the strings.

Wait, I think I've come across a pneumatic canon or something like that when I was shopping around for my halloween stuffs. Try to research.

oohyahla wrote:

I bought 2 Chauvet vertical foggers($225 each) I plan to use as my 'pyrotechnics'(probably to be used appropriately for songs like the ending of TSO's Sarajevo). It's 1200 watt heater that has a fast reaction(shoots up smoke up to 8 feet high). It has a delayed reaction of a mere 1/2 sec. I haven't tried controlling it via DMX but it really is a very efficient fogger.

I experimented on a confetti(the one you pull) and it sure is very nice to end a show with a bang. But, I can't always be there outside to manually pull the strings, so I'm currently experimenting on pneumatics(I own one I used for halloween made of a door closer) to make it automatic. I'm using a solenoid valve to turn valve(where air passes) on or off. Well, the idea is, instead of the it propping up a corpse, it will pull the strings.

Wait, I think I've come across a pneumatic canon or something like that when I was shopping around for my halloween stuffs. Try to research.

is DMX control an option on those foggers?

Could you tell me the model number?

Thank you

Eric

It's the "Irradiant Vertical Fogger VF-1200 / 1200 Watt", item number:350117645020 vertical fogger sold on ebay for $225. I tried looking around for videos of it but to no avail. Try to check this one identical product(it's 1500 watt fogger) 'cuz it expels smoke the same way the irradiant does but I just don't know if it has DMX control.

If it's control and power that you're after, I guess you should look at this item: " Chauvet Hurricane F-1700 Watt Fogger" ebay item: 350117645020, and buy a DMX Adapter(DMX-3F), ebay item: 350158742881.

Use a drain pipe to connect your fogger to your canon. Remember that the smoke has to travel from the fogger to your canon... so expect some delays. I suggest you adjust your timing accordingly. Anyway, smoke comes out of canons after the blast(just like thunder after a lightning) so maybe that would justify a little delay.

Why not use a strobe light by the way? That would be nice! The fog would be highlighted by the strobes. Dramatic, huh? Or, blind the watchers with the strobes in such a way that they wouldn't notice the delay. Ah, maybe not a good idea. LOL. Well, it's up to you.

Ok, here's the link to the upward fogger:

Dale wrote:

Dale L

I have another question, the fogger doesnt take that long to warm up? I assume you just leave it "on" and then LOR gives it power?

Do you have the model number of the foggers? Maybe I can buy them early and try it out in my office!

Thank you sir!

Eric

thebaronn wrote:

Dale wrote:
There you go!

If I may add, you can get a $20 400 watt fogger at ebay, or 700 watt for $40. I've tried firing off my cheap fogger last halloween but because you have to constantly turn on the fog machine for it to be ready to fire off at any given time, the tube at which the smoke comes out melted and was rendered almost useless.

Anyway, Dale's method seems great, but I'm just curious as to how he was able to activate the machine to let it smoke. Because powering on a smoke machine is easy - you plug it to a socket... when it's turned on, the machine heats up the fog juice and turns it into smoke. Then, usually, firing off the smoke is controlled via a wired/wireless remote or DMX.

If Dale was able to fire off the fog machine using LOR without using any of the methods mentioned above, then it must really be a good solution something I would request Dale to share with me.

It's economical and it paves the way to other solutions to my problems like how to turn on a snow maker machine at a given time(like when a song reaches the point, "let it snow, let it snow, let it snow"). Because my problem is always, if I directly let LOR control a high wattage gadget, then it wouldn't work if I use a 1500 watt fogger or snowmaker. Or, would it?

Kudos to Dale for his wonderful work I hope he shares with us here.

oohyahla wrote:

It's economical and it paves the way to other solutions to my problems like how to turn on a snow maker machine at a given time(like when a song reaches the point, "let it snow, let it snow, let it snow"). Because my problem is always, if I directly let LOR control a high wattage gadget, then it wouldn't work if I use a 1500 watt fogger or snowmaker. Or, would it?

Kudos to Dale for his wonderful work I hope he shares with us here.

If you use the iDMX1000, the power for the snow machine (or whatever) is NOT coming from the LOR controller, only the data is coming from LOR. For that reason, you can run whatever amperage you need (up to the limit of your circuit) without worrying about how LOR will handle the load.

D.T.

D.T., that's exactly my point in using DMX. You power the gadget from a source other than the LOR controller - then you control the gadget using DMX. It's a very efficient and decent approach to the "canon problem" and that's exactly how I'd do it. But, that's an expensive solution.

If Dale could share us his 'method' of being able to power the smoke machine then fire it off using LOR, then it would be a great contribution to this distinguish forum!

You can use a relay to control the fog machine thru the remote control circuit. I included a rough sketch on how to add a relay to your existing remote. the brown wires are the modification.

Attached files 171245=9817-pic 1.bmp

Donald Puryear wrote:

You can use a relay to control the fog machine thru the remote control circuit. I included a rough sketch on how to add a relay to your existing remote. the brown wires are the modification.

BRILLIANT! Bow my head to Mr. Puryear for the GENIUStic approach.

That's exactly the answer I was waiting for! Donald, would you be so kind enough to help me do it? Could I send you the remote to my fog machine/snowmaker and do the necessary work?

Otherwise, could you be so kind enough to provide me with a much more detailed sketch to include the model number for the relay and how to do it? Or if I need an electrician to do it for me?

Thanks in advance!