• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul C

• BadSCR

• garyfunk

• jstein

Top Posters In This Topic

On cue, I mean sequenced to music. Using isolation relays, set off a Testers rocket igniter's that inturn set off fountains and stuff. Admittedly there is some timing issues to over come. LOL

Just did a little shopping found that Testers does not make igniter's anymore. They are made by Estes and are about a buck a piece, ouch$. Still doesn't matter how it blows up just as long as it scares the heck out of some unsuspecting drunk neighbour.hee hee hee

Paul C wrote:

On cue, I mean sequenced to music. Using isolation relays, set off a Testers rocket igniter's that inturn set off fountains and stuff. Admittedly there is some timing issues to over come. LOL

Just did a little shopping found that Testers does not make igniter's anymore. They are made by Estes and are about a buck a piece, ouch$. Still doesn't matter how it blows up just as long as it scars the heck out of some unsuspecting drunk neighbour.hee hee hee

Why would you want to scar someone?

Other than that, just us nichrome wire for the fuse.

jstein wrote:

No, I did not. I have read myself where it hs been talked about where a diode should be used, but I dis so reguardless and luckily it worked out okay. Although that may not always be the case.

Yes, a diode should be used on DC relays, DC solenoids, and anything that is a DC inductive load.

Current flowing through a relay coil creates a magnetic field which collapses suddenly when the current is switched off. The sudden collapse of the magnetic field induces a brief high voltage across the relay coil which is very likely to damage transistors and ICs. The protection diode allows the induced voltage to drive a brief current through the coil (and diode) so the magnetic field dies away quickly rather than instantly. This prevents the induced voltage becoming high enough to cause damage to transistors and ICs.

What you do is place the diode in reverse IN parallel whit the load;
It is called a Protection diode or snuffing circuit.

I have taken a 12vdc relay and have measured a 90 volt spike. :shock:

A 10 cent diode VS ....

BadSCR wrote:

jstein wrote:
No, I did not. I have read myself where it hs been talked about where a diode should be used, but I dis so reguardless and luckily it worked out okay. Although that may not always be the case.

Yes, a diode should be used on DC relays, DC solenoids, and anything that is a DC inductive load.

Current flowing through a relay coil creates a magnetic field which collapses suddenly when the current is switched off. The sudden collapse of the magnetic field induces a brief high voltage across the relay coil which is very likely to damage transistors and ICs. The protection diode allows the induced voltage to drive a brief current through the coil (and diode) so the magnetic field dies away quickly rather than instantly. This prevents the induced voltage becoming high enough to cause damage to transistors and ICs.

What you do is place the diode in reverse IN parallel whit the load;
It is called a Protection diode or snuffing circuit.

I have taken a 12vdc relay and have measured a 90 volt spike. :shock:

A 10 cent diode VS ....

Isnt there a way to use this collaps to break spinning motors.

Yes, there is a few ways to.

#1: I can't remimber what it is call; I think it starts with a "P" poaching?.
Basicly you reverse the motor for a split second and it will stop the motor vary quickly.

#2: Regenerative Braking

I can remember a old Champion mixer that had a contactor that would pull in and short all three phases after the main contactor droped out, slowing the motor only a little.

Anyway more uses for LOR, sorry.

BadSCR wrote:

Here is a good idea.

Use the LOR in the Shower to control multiple shower heads

then you could use DMX to control the direction of each shower head (servo).

http://www.bpesolutions.com/dmxproduct.html

Good ideaq except there is no way to tell the LOR where to point the head, in real-time. The problem with all of these ideas is they can't be used in real-time.

I like that idea of a LOR analog input card.

Yha, every-thing has to be pre-programmed, so you can't control it in real-time, Buy it would be fine by me just to have pre-set patterns.

Even with the idea of the "Home Theater Special Effects" doing each movie like you would a song for the Christmas light display.

Have some Strobes, Lighting, Fog w/ chiller, Penumatic hooked to the couch (ie Motion Simulator), and more. It could be a completely immersive environment. Take the movies to new hights.