Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR and HOA

Driv

ive never had as problem with the HOA here.. ive lived in my house 5 christmases... the only comments I have gotten about the lights were letters and questions as to why there WASNT a lights display for 2008..... I live next door on either side to board members and they laugh at me for test-building arches, mega-trees, etc in the summer outside but never any negativity towards me or the display..

I always make sure that I get my displays torn down promptly after christmas and keep my home and yard clean as well...

I think a lot of HOA problems on here and PC may result from deeper issues than just christmas displays.. although gated communties tend to be a lot stricter than others....

I didnt particularly Choose to live in an HOA however I wanted a new-built house in the burbs and all communities in that type location have HOA....
-Christopher

Rick Hughes wrote:

As far as holiday decorations (and some other areas) go, our HOA [2500 homes] is quite lenient from late November to early January. I've been here 12 years and don't recall anyone having an issue.

Every association is different ... different people, different management companies, different state and local statutes, and different CC&Rs for the specific property.

However, if anyone asks about moving into this community I strongly encourage them to read the documents before making a commitment to be sure there will be no unhappy surprises afterward.

I would not guarantee that this will prevent surprises later.. Usually the board has the ability to modify and update the CC&R, so your restrictions may evolve after you buy...

I think it was posted here several months ago, but there is a nearby development where they changed the rules on what could be parked in the driveway.. I believe it used to be no trucks at all, but when they started allowing trucks to park in the driveway, they allow Honda Ridgeline, Chevy Avalanche, the Escalade truck, and the Lincoln Mark LT, but not a King Ranch F150...

DRussell wrote:

Yes they can try to regulate finishes, but signs fall under the first amendment.

Well.....no.

The First Amendment generally protects people only from government interference with speech. This issue has been court tested (with political signs, not tune to signs) and courts have pretty much agreed that the HOA does have the authority.

There is another side to the HOA coin. The neighbor behind me as started to accumulate cars. He has three in his backyard, two in the driveway, and three in his front yard. No tags, some with no tires. All in various forms of decay. County refuses to do anything.

I'm not saying HOA(s) are all bad ... but you are putting yourself into a controlled situation where the HOA has the ability to run things in a quasi-democratic but not guaranteed to be fair way. If someone bad gets in charge, then look out for you rights ... they could disappear fast.

HOA(s) have way more power to control you than does federal, state or local government ... because they have a legal document signed with you personally ... and limits what you can and can't do to the CC&R's which can and do evolve over time.

I lived in Highlands Ranch, CO ... one of the biggest HOA(s) in the US, and never had a problem with them whatsoever. But now that I live out near the cows, about 20 miles out into the countryside ... we have a small HOA thats easy to control and tamper with ... and lacks mature leadership.

Wow!

I feel fortunate to live in our HOA. They encourage people to put up lights and now have an annual Christmas light contest with first and second place prizes, Easter egg hunt, BBQ's, annual community garage sale and really do a good job of keeping up on the development.

I know it can be a pain but in the right hands it really does a lot to help keep the hood in nice shape and everyone on the same page.

I would be devastated if I had to go through what Richard did.

There are a few good ones out there but they seem to be few and far between from what I'm reading.

Ahhh, the happiness of living in an OLD house! At least right up until the plumbing backs up again.

We leave portions of our display on static 24 hours a day and no complaints. Only the LED pieces. No "flashing" and the like.

Good luck with the HOA. I've heard horror stories from my best friend in Las Vegas.