Light-O-Rama Forums

Video Card Question

Ponddude

Can someone help me out here...perhaps someone who is a little more computer savvy then I am?

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9500GS video card in my show computer. The computer is brand new and has a DVI, HDMI and VGA adapter on the back. I have tried searching the net to find out if I can hook up dual monitors (monitor and a video projector) but I can't find it and/or figure it out. The HP site and the NVIDIA site was of no help. Does anyone know if I can do this or how I would go about finding out?

You definitely can. However, you may have to find an older driver to do full screen video on the second monitor (projector) and may not be able to at all on Vista.

Full Screen Video Mirroring is available for Geforce 7 series GPUs and older series when using the NVIDIA Forceware display drivers 174.xx and below under Microsoft's Windows XP operating system. Full Screen Video Mirroring is not supported for any NVIDIA based GPU under Microsoft's Windows Vista operating system. Future Release 177 drivers and above will no longer provide support for Full Screen Video Mirroring for Geforce 7 GPUs and older GPUs. Full Screen Video Mirroring will be directly accessably through certain applications which will require this option. __________________

Hey Ponddude,

I am not a Vista user, but if Vista will work, all you need to do is hook up both monitors and supposedly Vista will recognize it automatically. Of course Vista will probably ask you a million times if you actually want to do what you are trying to do, but I would think it should work.

Here's an article from a few years ago, http://www.windows-vista-update.com/Using-two-monitors-with-Windows-Vista.html There is some info on setting up the 2nd monitor towards the bottom of it.

You will need to make sure that your monitors have the appropriate connections for the DVI and the VGA connections as well.

Steve

Hmmmm....

So it says that "certain applications" will allow it. Does LOR allow it? This computer is brand new and I would hate to revert back to XP.

Ponddude wrote:

Hmmmm....

So it says that "certain applications" will allow it. Does LOR allow it? This computer is brand new and I would hate to revert back to XP.

I couldn't make it work. You might send a PM to Joe Ayo, but I really think that it won't work in Vista.

Thats what I am hoping as well. I really don't need to see the screen for my show computer...I could just access it via Remote Desktop, but this would be a little easier.