Light-O-Rama Forums

Curious how people did on 2008 charities?

Richard Hamilton

From what I saw in a couple of thread awhile back, it seems that about 1/3 of the LOR users (or more) collect money or items for charites or other needy organizations. Sure, doing displays just for entertainment sake is really the fun part, and a great thing to do for people, but going the extra mile to help people is even more rewarding.

If you collected for charites in 07 and in 08, I'm curious how the two years compared in different parts of the country. Our collections were down about 50% from last year, but still a respectable amount. And of course our policy is to match everything we get anyway. Do other people contribute any of your own funds?

Richard, this was my first year of collecting for charity so I can’t compare this to previous years, but I was pleased to collect $1300.00 in cash and many ‘promises’ that a check would be sent the next day.

As my charity I selected The Old Town Mission who offer free health center; free legal clinic; day resource center offering food and clothing; mission back-to-school program and holiday food programs & special events to people in Northern Arizona.

I will miss my Monday trips to the mission with an envelope containing the previous weeks donations.

- Dave

We collect for the local Kiwanis and the Kiwanis Foundation.

Last year 2007 collected $3,168.00
This year 2008 collected $ 3,231.00

Not bad considering I was four days late starting and there were about six days less between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Guys, that's not bad at all. Robin, that is unusually good to actually increase the amount from 2007! You must be doing a lot of things right. Most folks are seeing serious cuts.

Maybe part of our drop this year was due to the much lower key approach for collecting. We want people to just come and enjoy the shows without guilt that they have to put money in a box, so our audio annoucements reflected that policy.

This was my first year collecting donations. This year we collected for a close friend of the family whose 7 year old daughter is going through Cancer Treatment.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_south/goldstreamgazette/community/35824569.html

I originally went in thinking we'd raise like $500 well we came out 10 times that with just over $5100 towards the cause!!!!

It was great. I totally am going to find another child to collect for next season!!!

-Evan