Light-O-Rama Forums

outdoor RJ45/transmitter port

toymakr000

Where do you purchase the weatherproof boxes that you can hook up the Cat5's to? Do they have those at like walmart or are they like something special order? Thanks.

John

The box is a standard from Lowes or Home Depot . The cover is a standard GFI cover.
The aluminum adapter plate, I made to fit the cover and hold the RJ45 connector and Stereo jack.

I have something like that planned. I am putting 120v outlets in 4 locations on my house. I will also put 2 RJ-45 outlets at each location. That way, I can run out to the first LOR unit, then back from the last LOR unit. Then on the inside, the 2nd RJ-45 will have a cable to the 1st RJ-45 of the next group. This will mean I don't have to run a cable from the LOR units on one side of the house, to the LOR units on the other side of the house.

garyfunk wrote:

I have something like that planned. I am putting 120v outlets in 4 locations on my house. I will also put 2 RJ-45 outlets at each location. That way, I can run out to the first LOR unit, then back from the last LOR unit. Then on the inside, the 2nd RJ-45 will have a cable to the 1st RJ-45 of the next group. This will mean I don't have to run a cable from the LOR units on one side of the house, to the LOR units on the other side of the house.

Gary,

That is exactly what we did here at our new home, we have 2 locations that each have 4 dedicated 20 amp circuits and another location with 2 20 circuits. All three locations have two cat5 ports next to them as shown in the pic.

These were done with simple everyday things you can buy from Lowes.

To the side of the picture you can see one of the 2 gang boxes with 2 circuits.

As a side note I just noticed the rubber some how got put in backwards when installed. LOL. I guess I will be turning that around when I go and unplug the wire.

Attached files 169700=9752-DSCN6382-2.jpg

This is my outdoor speakers and RJ45 jacks. The plate and jacks/binding posts are Leviton from Home Depot. I had the trim the edges of the cover plate to fit inside the outdoor enclosure. The cover is domed so it can close over the cables.

Howard

Attached files 169712=9753-Outdoor RJ and Speaker Jacks

All theses ideas, now I want to bulldose my house, and make the ultimate house for just for the purpose of lights....Just think, 20amp circuit every 20 feet of ease, cat connectors all over, in ground boxes thrue out the yard, some kind of clip system built into the house for lights, etc...

garyfunk wrote:

Then on the inside, the 2nd RJ-45 will have a cable to the 1st RJ-45 of the next group. This will mean I don't have to run a cable from the LOR units on one side of the house, to the LOR units on the other side of the house.

You can get away with a lot less Cat5 cable, and easier troubleshooting, if you use a single RJ-45 jack at each location, one of these: http://store.lightorama.com/uscoadwivobo.html and two of these: http://store.lightorama.com/rsnere.html

The USB-RS485 adapter with booster lets you run two cables to two different groups of controllers. The RS485 network repeater lets you run to an additional direction.

cenote wrote:

All theses ideas, now I want to bulldose my house, and make the ultimate house for just for the purpose of lights....Just think, 20amp circuit every 20 feet of ease, cat connectors all over, in ground boxes thrue out the yard, some kind of clip system built into the house for lights, etc...

I was kind of thinking of an equipment/storage room on each of the front corners of the house, with ways to get bulk cable out into the yard. Suitable sub panel and outlets, and the controllers stay nice and dry, and difficult to steal..

While we are at it, how about access from the attic to the roof, and proper fall safety attachment points built in? Similar (though smaller) sub panel and controller mounting points in the attic, and ways to get cable out to the roof....