Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jonstacey1

EDM LCD FM Transmitter group buy

If you are interested in an EDM transmitter and have not already, you should join the edmdesign Yahoo group. In that group there was this post:

If you want to get the new EDM-LCD-RDS we offer existing customers 10% discount for any order received this month for a RDS unit. Limit to 1 per customer. You need to prove your purchase from us to qualify. Contact us at edm@... Offer ends end of Aug 2009

This is about the same discount as a group buy.

By the way, some are asking about RDS. I've done a bit of research and documented it.

Excellent tutorials Steven. If you had it to do over again, would you just purchase the EDM transmitter with RDS built-in?

Stephen, good heads up. If that is the case, I'll take advantage of it and won't be in a separate group purchase. Thx!

Tim Dorr wrote:

If you had it to do over again, would you just purchase the EDM transmitter with RDS built-in?

Good question. Christmas lights is a hobby, and the #1 goal of any hobby (or life in general, IMHO) is to learn. After all, if your goal was only to put on a fantastic light show, you might as well pay an expert to do it for you. If your goal was to make money, then you would be that expert. But most of the members of this forum are here to learn.

And I don't mean just learn about how to build a light show. There are many other lessons to learn: How to cooperate with neighbors; How to build a better relationship with friends and family around Christmas lights; How to solve other problems; How does technology (LEDs, GFCI, antennas, software, RDS, etc.) work; How can I use Christmas lights to improve my patience; How to communicate with people better; How to schedule my time; How to plan; How to keep a positive attitude.

So I decided to learn about RDS by doing. Doing forced me to do more research. So yes, I am very happy I did all that work to get RDS working on the FM25B, the FM100B, and the EDM LCD.

On the other hand, if the EDM RDS transmitter was already available at the time, I wouldn't want to "reinvent the wheel", so in retrospect, I'm glad it wasn't available until this year, or I may have missed a chance to learn.

Very well put Steven. You are absolutely right on all counts, from my perspective. We work with what we've got at the time, and if it isn't out there, it becomes a DIY project.

Tim

Got my EDM RDS in the mail today 17 days exactly from date of purchase. Not bad!!

Steven, I didn't read your post close enough. You must be an existing EDM customer (with a previous purchase) in order to qualify for the 10% discount. So...a separate group buy would still be good.

I just got my RDS unit yesterday. Figures I am on the road for a few days. Thats the first thing I am going to do when I get home is put it together. It took about 19 days from order till delivery

joshua wrote:

Steven, do you think you could do a rds mod for a ramsey fm 10b?

It would be technically possible. The FM10 seems to use the BA-1404 stereo transmitter chip, which has the pilot out on pin 13, and modulation in on pin 12. With a resistor, a couple of capacitors, and some cable, it could be interfaced to an RDS encoder.

But you will end up spending money for an RDS encoder, plus a lot of time getting it connected and set up. Then you will have the basic problem with the FM10B that it is not PLL controlled, meaning your frequency will drift as the temperature of the transmitter changes.

LOVE my new EDM transmitter. Haven't got to the RDS function yet but the sound is really good even with using the antenna that comes with it. my hole viewing area had great sound. Got down the street and around the corner before started to get some static. Cant wait till I put up an antenna on the ruff. Then it should go farther. Been running Zara radio all day. Neighbors love the commercial free radio.

vipzach wrote:

I emailed EDM about a group buy for us and also over at the PC forums. They replied and said that we could set one up, but that somebody named Scott had handled them in the past. I PM's a couple people over at PC to make sure I wasn't going to step on any toes if I set this up.

Once i know that I'm not going to make somebody mad for setting it up, I will get it started. :)

Any update on the group sale for the EDM transmitters? I have been waiting most of the year for such a group sale, but it is getting closer to November set-up and I'm starting to get concerned about it shipping in time if wait much longer to order (as I am sure quite a few others are as well). I too have sent multiple PM's to taybrynn (Scott) regarding this without any replies on the subject.

Are there still some here that haven't ordered yet since they are waiting for the group buy? Should we proceed with a "different" group buy...soon?!?

Surfing4Dough wrote:

vipzach wrote:
I emailed EDM about a group buy for us and also over at the PC forums. They replied and said that we could set one up, but that somebody named Scott had handled them in the past. I PM's a couple people over at PC to make sure I wasn't going to step on any toes if I set this up.

Once i know that I'm not going to make somebody mad for setting it up, I will get it started. :)

Any update on the group sale for the EDM transmitters? I have been waiting most of the year for such a group sale, but it is getting closer to November set-up and I'm starting to get concerned about it shipping in time if wait much longer to order (as I am sure quite a few others are as well). I too have sent multiple PM's to taybrynn (Scott) regarding this without any replies on the subject.

Are there still some here that haven't ordered yet since they are waiting for the group buy? Should we proceed with a "different" group buy...soon?!?

Well, I got impatient waiting on a response from Scott. I have already ordered and received my mobile black box. I did receive a PM back from him recently and he has been having some health issues and not really able to keep up, so he is not ignoring people about a group buy, he is just not logging into PC right now.

If I remember correctly, a group buy would take a minimum of 20 people and it was 10% off.

I personally don't really have the time to handle a group buy right now. I would be glad to try and help somebody though.

edit: My suggestion would be to have the group buy also posted over on PC.

I just purchased it. The only savings would have been 20 bucks. Just order it. Its getting close to crunch time. It takes over a month when you purchase it in a group. If it started today you wouldn't get it until November.

I agree with frisky, that is why I went ahead and ordered one.

I couldn't and didn't want to wait that long.

friskybri wrote:

I just purchased it. The only savings would have been 20 bucks. Just order it. Its getting close to crunch time. It takes over a month when you purchase it in a group. If it started today you wouldn't get it until November.

I understand where you are coming from and don't disagree. For some, as long as it is here by Thanksgiving that is good enough. For example, I don't do a Halloween display--just Christmas. And the 20 bucks is nearly the difference between a RDS and non-RDS unit (that is at least how I justify the splurge in my mind--or at least how I explained it to my wife!) :(

So my guess is that there are still several people that are interested in a group buy--IF it happens within the next several days or so.

Baelinc (PC member) and I have both been in contact with EDM, and are most likely going to be getting the ball rolling (quickly) on another group buy for EDM FM transmitters. We are still waiting to hear back the final details from EDM, but since time is ticking, Baelinc has started an online spreadsheet to start collecting info of those who are definitely interested in the group buy. We can't order until we have at least 10, so figured we better start now.

You can follow some of the discussion here: http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=33480

The link to the online form and details is here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dDYtMGMxd3MxUHB3NjVyc2pFaXJvZkE6MA

Since Baelinc is a D-Light user, I will be the one who posts updates in the LOR forums.

Wow, EDM finally has the RDS product out! I see a mini USB connector on the unit. Do you know what software you need in order to transmit RDS data?

stanward wrote:

Wow, EDM finally has the RDS product out! I see a mini USB connector on the unit. Do you know what software you need in order to transmit RDS data?

Others will be able to comment on this more, but the first post in the thread below has a very good tutorial:

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=19627&forum_id=25&highlight=EDM

The group buy for the EDM FM Transmitter with RDS (Model EDM-LCD-RDS-EP) is officially on!

Baelinc at PlanetChristmas is the main contact for this (I am helping with the LOR forums). Cost is $220-$22 (10% off) = $198 + $15 shipping =$213 total. Don't miss out on this sale. There won't be another group buy sale this year.

Below is from his post at PC (http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=35017 )

I have been in contact with EDM and I am trying to setup a group buy for the transmitter with RDS. We currently have 6 people on the list and we are waiting for 4 more. If you are wanting to jump in this deal with us, please fill out the following form:

[align=center]Submit your info here[/align]
I would like to have this group information submitted to EDM by no later than Saturday, October 3, 2009. To make the purchase the group is given a personalize website address for our group buy which you will use to purchase your transmitter at a 10% discount. All monies will go straight to EDM, not to myself. So, if you are interested please hurry and sign up. The reason I am speeding this process up is to meet dead lines for shipping the transmitters this month. I was given an ETA of 3-4 weeks.

UPDATE: EDM just told me here is no maximum number on the group buy so if we get 15 people those 15 will be in 1 group and will not have to wait on the additional 5 people. So, how ever many people we have on Saturday night at 8pm CST that will be the number that I will send off to EDM.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

The group buy for the EDM FM Transmitter with RDS (Model EDM-LCD-RDS-EP) is officially on!

Update from baelinc at PC:

Update! The 10 transmitter minimum has been met. But you still have an opportunity to get in on the group buy as we have been given the OK by EDM to accept more that 10 orders for a single group buy.

Just a quick update... I wanted to let everyone know that Saturday I will email EDM the list of people and once I receive the payment link, I will be emailing those out to you. But, EDM has put a deadline on the Payments. The payment dead line is Friday, October 9th. So, how ever many people we have on the list Saturday night 10/3 at 8pm CST that will be the number that I will send off to EDM.

So tonight is the deadline to sign up for the group buy. More info here: http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=35017

Submit your info here (link)

Update from baelinc at PC:

The group buy is now CLOSED. I have emailed EDM the list. Once I receive the link, I will be emailing it out soon afterward. Everyone who is part of the group buy, please make payment ASAP. The soon the payment is made the shorter the wait will be. As long as their are 10 transmitters sold by Friday, the group buy will be closed by EDM.

Great. One day late. Guess I'll just buy it myself. The "EDM-LCD-RDS-EP" is the best buy if I want RDS, right?

EthanP wrote:

Great. One day late. Guess I'll just buy it myself. The "EDM-LCD-RDS-EP" is the best buy if I want RDS, right?

Correct. Sorry you missed it.