• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• taybrynn

• friskybri

• Surfing4Dough

• WayneKremer

rmkrause wrote:

What is the big deal about RDS? Could someone explain. Thanks.

RDS is no big deal. It's kind of like what the Internet was in the mid 90's. It's just a fad and will never catch on.

I tend to agree with you Gary.

My truck has RDS and I don't find myself looking at it much at all.

It could be interesting during a lightshow, however ... for those
that actually bother to look at their stereo instead of the lights.

I tend to agree. While it is neat, it's a pretty expensive add on for a Christmas display. If I had a huge display and accompanying funds, it looks like something I would play with. However, I have neither.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been talking with EDM ... and any RDS-capable EDM LCD group buy will not happen any earlier than June or July 2009.

Existing EDM LCD owners will likely be given a one-time opportunity to upgrade their PCB to a new PCB with RDS socket on it. There would be a cost associated with that swap.

In addition to the PCB-swap, you would also need to do the following to get your transmitter to become fully RDS capable:

• obtain the Pira RDS chip (on your own or via. a group buy)
  • obtain or build cable to interconnect the transmitter RDS to the computer (
  • make a case mod to allow for the new mini-USB out of the EDM case ... some drilling and filing would be required and would not invalidate your warranty

So this upgrade opportunity would be by June or perhaps a couple months earlier.

It might be possible for a "brave" member to step up and facilitate this entire RDS upgrade (for others) and hopefully keep the fional price for the complete RDS conversion reasonable. That conversion would include the disassembly, PCB swap, case mod, cabling and Pira RDS chip group buy ... in one.

So we may need to start accumulating a list of persons interesting in the RDS upgrade (existing owners), vs. the RDS capable model (new purchases).

Please take me off as well, I got 3 in the mail today. I ran my display this year using the EDM LCD with the test antenna and got a strong signal to the end of the block, more then enough for a Christmas display. But, I couldn't help myself I had to see how far I could get with a good antenna. I built a J pole antenna out of copper pipe and now I am broadcasting about a half a mile before the signal starts to break up.......EDM builds a great unit!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Scott,

Just had a thought, I would be willing to take one of the turn in units (old board without RDS that is turned in). Esp if there might be a discount over the price of the kit. Not that I have any problem with soldering. But EDM would be sitting with all of this stock of old boards it might be a win, win situation for both EDM and me.

Keep this in mind if you would, otherwise I am still in for the group buy.

Max

Scott,

I would like an LCD unit w/o the RDS. Nice feat., just don't think I need that little bit of flash.

Thanks

G

I don't have any more for sale right now.

You can still buy from EDM directly here:

http://www.edmdesign.com/orders.html

It appears the prices have gone up slightly, so its around $195 shipped
for the EDM LCD and $149 for the EDM LED 10/100 model.

They offer a lot of options and configurations, but basically the last one listed under both LED and LCD are the ones the most people will want.

Scott

The group buy price is normally 10% off the regular price.

I agree that you would think the price would go down or stay the same ... however, EDM is based in S. Africa and their currency did very poorly in 2008 and this caused their materials prices to go up.