• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• taybrynn

• friskybri

• Surfing4Dough

• WayneKremer

I belkieve what they were talking ablut was having like a cavity and then seperately you purchase the Pira to put into it is where I ad somewhere is more than likely how it will work.

jstein wrote:

I belkieve what they were talking ablut was having like a cavity and then seperately you purchase the Pira to put into it is where I ad somewhere is more than likely how it will work.

They will add the circuit and then you buy the chip and put it in the EDM.

Yes, it's true that the RDS-capable LCD transmitter will likely allow for a RDS chip to be inserted, to add RDS to the transmitter. This is probably a simple DIY consumer upgrade option. Keep in mind, EDM wants to do what they can to keep the initial cost of ownership LOW.

They also discussed 'exploring' if they could get a better deal buying a bulk order of RDS chips [ which they will likely get ] ... so it would mean you could buy the EDM with the RDS chip already pre-populated for slightly less (potentially) than it would cost to upgrade it yourself later.

Note: I know DIYC had a group buy on the external RDS encoders last year and got a pretty nice group buy discount. I think the site even mentions bulk discounts for various volume levels ... so I suspect EDM could get a similar (or better) discount for getting the RDS mfg. onto its already excellent transmitters.

If you haven't noticed already, EDM likes to provide options ... sometimes at the expense of becoming a bit confusing. They offer board-only, board+enclosure, board+enclosure+power supply ... so I could envision RDS-capable, RDS-ready versions.

They also are exploring how existing owners could upgrade to RDS ... and at what cost, etc. They have been very reasonable and generous to existing users in the past ... so I would expect that to continue. They honestly remind me a lot of LOR and their customer-friendy mindset.

Wow, this is going to be a heck of list.

If you later decide your NOT interested, also post here, so I don't send to you.

Thanks,
Scott / taybrynn

Scott, I've been using my Ramsey FM25 for three years with great success. But reading a lot of the posts tells me I should have a spare, just in case. So put me on your list as a "probable." I'm interested in the assembled and tested version.

Thanks for doing this.

The assembled & tested EDM LCD is only available from my website.
EDM does not offer an assembled transmitter option.

The RDS capable EDM LCD doesn't exist yet. It is being designed and
could be out in 2-6 months. Existing owners should be given an upgrade path from EDM.