Light-O-Rama Forums

EDM LCD FM Transmitter group buy

jonstacey1

When the time comes will someone let me know when the EDM LCD group buy is. I am in need of the transmitter, and seem to miss the group buys that I have seen on here. I dont check this everyday. I was wondering if anyone knows about when the groups buys are, that would also help me to save.

Thanks for the Help

Jon

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• taybrynn

• friskybri

• Surfing4Dough

• WayneKremer

EDM said they closed down the factory for the last 2 weeks of December ... but I'll ask about some more group buys in 2009 ... and try to get one setup!

Scott

taybrynn wrote:

EDM said they closed down the factory for the last 2 weeks of December ... but I'll ask about some more group buys in 2009 ... and try to get one setup!

Scott

Hey Scott,

PM me if you get a "EDM group buys" started.

I will assume the group-buy pricing will be as before plus maybe $10 additional, since the price of the enclosures went up for EDM and they absorbed it in 2008. That was $144 + $12 shipping for the EDM LCD complete. So maybe $154 + 12 in 2009 ... and insurance might become required (maybe). They had some units stolen (in the mail) in 2008.

If the price goes up, it would probably be $10-20 or so, but thats just a guess right now.

I will also have some for sale in the US, but in very limited quantities. The price for them (from me) will be higher, as my personal cost (to buy them) is higher than the group buy price.

My price was $199 per member (shipped) vs. $156 for the group buy deal. I also offered assembly and testing for $20 extra. This is for members only.

I don't have any in my possession yet, but that is another option. I should have 10 units within the next week or two.

The group buys require 10 orders (usually a 1-3 wait) ... then about 3-4 weeks for delivery from S. Africa.

Sales from me usually arrive in 3-4 days from the day you order.

Once I get some in stock, I'll post a link on my website (see sig. below).

I'll post group buy details if/when I get them from EDM.

Scott

No, there is not change on that front yet. They have been looking into RDS for quite some time, but whenever they add RDS, it degrades the audio quality and they don't like that. Most people can't tell all that much. There are new chips out there with RDS built-in ... but they don't perform up to the current design. So I'm not sure where they are going with RDS in 2009.

jstein wrote:

Has there been any word from them about adding RDS to their units?

This just came in the EDMdesign list from the EDM Team:

After a lot of discussions by our R&D guys we are seriously considering to implement the pira RDS chip in our current design. http://pira.cz/rds/ This way we kill 2 birds with one stone. We can produce a standard PCB which makes provision for the RDS chip on our board. Customers can then at any time later order the chip from pira when they want to add RDS. This way we keep the cost of the product low but provide the option for users to add RDS when they feel like it. We may also offer the option with the chip included as a package. We will try negotiating with pira to see if we can get a good deal on quantity. We will have to redesign the enclosure to accommodate the extra connector for RDS data to be fed to the transmitter.