Light-O-Rama Forums

EDM LCD FM Transmitter group buy

jonstacey1

Got this from EDM. responded less than. 2 hours impressive

The music quality will be as good as the standard LCD. Our tests indicate that there is no noticeable audio deterioration with the RDS units.

This is because the RDS transmitted is phase locked to the stereo pilot. Many people that purchase the stand alone mini RDS end up with a non-locked RDS system when trying to inject the RDS carrier into their own transmitters.

This is because many of the FM transmitters on the market uses the BH1415 chip (like our older LED model). The stereo pilot on these are not easily accessible to perform the phase lock action.

This require much higher levels of RDS to be injected for reliable RDS data to be received. As a result noise appears on the audio content due to mixing and other inter modulation products.

You get a much more expensive external RDS encoder that can use the MPX signal to extract the sync information but suppliers charge a lot of money for them and can cost well over 100 Euro

The EDM-LCD-RDS was carefully designed to prevent any loss of audio quality.

Scott of Planet Christmas is doing a survey of which model we should consider for a possible group sale. Existing customers automatically qualify for a 10% discount without waiting for a group sale.So if you have purchased a EDM transmitter before and can prove it to us, we will give you 10% discount on the RDS model.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• taybrynn

• friskybri

• Surfing4Dough

• WayneKremer

I'm not sure that the RDS decreases range, but the RDS may not be receivable over the full listenable range. I suspect it depends heavily on the adjacent frequencies, and background on the frequency you are using.

I'm new here, but I need a transmitter, and would be interested in the RDS unit that is talked about here, and would be interested in a group buy if that saves money, so add me to the list, and let me know who/how I pay.

From what most people have said on her you can transmit with the EDM about 1/4 to 1/2 mile with a good antenna. At 1/4 mile a good signal would be 1320 feet. From what EDM has said on their website the RDS is about 1/3 of the audio signal in distance before dropping enough of the data. Your looking about 440 feet on the RDS having a strong signal. I live close to the street so it would more then cover the entire viewing area.

I have the EDM LCD with RDS and I must say it works great! I have not noticed any ill effects from the RDS function. The range is more than enough and I have it set to 10 milliwatts but I am using an external antenna. The sound quality is great, I must say I am very surprised. I have used software RDS in the past with some noticeable noise but EDM seems to have done a good job implementing the hardware RDS and I do not hear any noise even in between tracks. I recommend get it worth every penny!B)

That's great to hear. I have been waiting for the group sale but might just get it anyway. I want a few months to play with it before the season starts. If I don't hear anything about the qroup sale by this Thursday I am just getting it.

Dinosang wrote:

I have the EDM LCD with RDS and I must say it works great! I have not noticed any ill effects from the RDS function. The range is more than enough and I have it set to 10 milliwatts but I am using an external antenna. The sound quality is great, I must say I am very surprised. I have used software RDS in the past with some noticeable noise but EDM seems to have done a good job implementing the hardware RDS and I do not hear any noise even in between tracks. I recommend get it worth every penny!B)

I also went ahead and ordered it. Should be here in another week or so.

So you have checked out the RDS function? It displays correctly on a RDS capable receiver?

Paul Roberson wrote:

Dinosang wrote:

I also went ahead and ordered it. Should be here in another week or so.

So you have checked out the RDS function? It displays correctly on a RDS capable receiver?

Yes RDS function works great PS and Radio text show up with no errors on my radio. I also used a text file for the source of my radio text with no problems. You will need a serial port to communicate to the transmitter. If you do not have one on your computer a USB to RS232 converter that supports bidirectional communication does work as I am using one myself.

Since some of you are buying RDS units, is anyone interested in selling there old LCD unit?

Might have an interested party.

Need you price please.

Send me a email or PM.

Thanks

friskybri wrote:

couldn't wait. ordered my rds yesterday. Now the long wait for it to get here.

I received mine in about 2 weeks in Canada. My understanding is that it goes through the US so you will probably get it quicker. I couldn't wait myself! Enjoy!

I am interested in the group buy also for the RDS unit.

Any idea when this might take place?

Mike

Taybrynn,

Are you leading a group buy on the RDS version? If so, any idea when? Just trying to figure out if the group buy is going to fly or not. Thx!

Wayne

I emailed EDM about a group buy for us and also over at the PC forums. They replied and said that we could set one up, but that somebody named Scott had handled them in the past. I PM's a couple people over at PC to make sure I wasn't going to step on any toes if I set this up.

Once i know that I'm not going to make somebody mad for setting it up, I will get it started. :P

Vipzach, sounds good. Scott is Taybrynn...so that makes sense. I suggest we work off of only one board and one thread over at PC. Also, please send an email to Taybrynn (aka Scott) to see if he is going to run with this or not (...or if you want to).

Thanks!

Wayne

anyone know how the EDM products are shipped in the united states. Does it come by UPS, FEDEX or regular mail? Closing on two weeks sense I ordered it so am looking for it.

WayneKremer wrote:

Vipzach, sounds good. Scott is Taybrynn...so that makes sense. I suggest we work off of only one board and one thread over at PC. Also, please send an email to Taybrynn (aka Scott) to see if he is going to run with this or not (...or if you want to).

Thanks!

Wayne

That is who I PM'd over at PC. I still have not heard anything back from him. If I don'y hear anything in the next couple days, I will just move forward with it.

I need to get one ordered! :(