Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR the Car

Richard Hamilton

Well, my wife thinks I have really gone off the deep end this time. She's ready to commit me to an asylum, but I assurred her that there must be other people doing this.

I put an 8-channel controller in the back of the SUV and connected it to a cheapo inverter to power it. I put lights on the inside windows in the back, and put lights on the outside luggage rack. A wireless LOR linker is attached to the box. Actually, it looks pretty cool when I drive away or come home and the lights start blinking in sync with the music. People get a real laugh out of that... which is actually the whole purpose. Cheer up the visitors. It seems to work about 1,000 feet away from the house and starts working even before I come over the hill to get to the house.

An interesting side effect is that I set the box to Unit ID 1 because I figure every LOR user has a unit 1. I drove over to a friends house who uses LOR and also uses linkers on his display. It was funny to see the car lights start blinking as I drove up to his house. I expect that anyone using the linker is probably also using the default channel 16 frequency. Now it might be fun to drive around to some other LOR houses with wireless.

That is kind of neat..

One of my "one of these years" projects is to light up our boat... With the fairly small charging system output, I think I'll go with DC cards and LED's. Somehow, I doubt I'll get within wireless range of any shows with it...

Oh, that is way too funny. I will have to try that myself. Wouldn't it be great fun to pull up next to a house with links, park right in front of the house and have your car slights dance to the music.

People would just think it was part of the display.

Thanks for sharing that.

Charles

For a dumb idea, this turns out to be a lot more popular than I thought. Often when I come home, I will sit outside for a couple minutes before pulling in the garage. And when I leave home, people are honking horns, cheering, and wowing. Hmmm, they never did that before I had the lights on the van.

Years ago, I did something similar to this, only it was a DC 3 channel electric organ with an onboard mic that split the freqs of the audio 3 ways and lit the lights according the the frequency and intensity of the music playing.

The problem was that even with the music off, it would respond to my voice so if I was driving around talking on my cell phone I had to disengage it or it would continue to flash! :-) It was still a pretty cool effect though!

The LOR idea sounds quite promising though!

Merry Christmas!!!

Steve

there is one problem though, i tried this a couple of years ago...

when hooking up an lor controller to a inverter they use a modified sine wave

so fades dont work right when using lor

kingsislandtechservices wrote:

there is one problem though, i tried this a couple of years ago...

when hooking up an lor controller to a inverter they use a modified sine wave

so fades dont work right when using lor

I think that is going to depend on the type of inverter you have. My fades are working smoothly.