Light-O-Rama Forums

A fun little video

Charles Belcher

This is a video of WIW which includes a mixe of day time videos of the components used in the display as well as the show footage.

Hopefully, it will help the old extreme Christmas light display veterans get through another WIW viewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JII0PPYSwgU

Charles and Vickie Belcher

barbosaa wrote:

FANTASTIC!!!

how you do the screen??

thanks
Barbosaa,

This will be a technical explanation as there is really no simple way to explain it. It is all DMX controlled.

The screen is comprised of (60) Acclaim X-Curtain LED tube lights. You can see them at:

http://www.acclaimlighting.com/Indoor___Outdoor_LED_s.html

Each tube is 3' long x 2" wide. The screen is configured with 2 rows of 30 tubes. Each tube has 10 pixels of RGB for a total of 30 channels per tube. The entire screen is 1800 channels.

The 1800 channels are driven by a Martin Maxedia Media Server. You can view that at:

http://www.martin.com/product/product.asp?product=maxedia

The tube grid is pixel mapped by the Maxedia so that images, text, flash files, etc can be reproduced on the grid. Vickie did all of the media content in Photoshop and I imported it into the Maxedia.

The signal chain is LOR S2 to serial adapter to iDMX-1000 to Maxedia to a pair of Pathways Connectivity DMX Manager Plus units which generates five separate DMX universes required by the 1800 channels of the grid, then to five X-Curtain power supplies then to the tubes. The power supplies automatically assigned the DMX channels after you tell it the starting address.

The Maxedia internally controls the pixel mapping and media content and allows me to master control the 1800 channels of the screen with only 25 channels on the LOR software. These control channels allow me to switch from channel A and B on the Maxedia, fade, transition the scene changes, control the movement speed etc.

The roof lines use the same tubes, but they do not go through the Maxedia. Instead, they are connected to five separate iDMX-1000 converters.

Charles

iresq wrote:

Very nice Charles. The cut scenes really give a sense of what it takes to make the show.
iresq,

Thanks. I just couldn't get up for making yet another Christmas light video of WIW without doing something different.

Charles

Charles,

That’s a great video. I came by your house Thursday night and saw your show. It was amazing what you can do. I started to go home and take mine down after that. LOL

I was wondering how you did some of the things you did and had to drive back by Saturday during the day just to look at your set up. Really, really great job. I know lots of people enjoy your display as I did and I can really appreciate all your hard work.

Glyn

Glyn Holland wrote:

Charles,

That’s a great video. I came by your house Thursday night and saw your show. It was amazing what you can do. I started to go home and take mine down after that. LOL

I was wondering how you did some of the things you did and had to drive back by Saturday during the day just to look at your set up. Really, really great job. I know lots of people enjoy your display as I did and I can really appreciate all your hard work.

Glyn

Glyn,

I am glad you enjoyed the display. If you saw the entire 17.5 minute display from start to finish then you can see that I try to present a show that flows rather than isolated songs that really have no connection other than Christmas.

If you have questions, fire away and I will try to answer them.

Charles

• The topic was locked