Light-O-Rama Forums

Channels stick on

Mark h2o

Mark h2o wrote:

I tried leaving the power off to all controllers and still no change. I did have one issue tho, I tried to reset one of my PC version controllers and I didn't get the results that the instructions said I would. I pulled the jumper off and cycled the power, the status light just flashed really fast and didn't do anything different. Then I put the jumper back on, cycled power, did a refresh in the hardware utility and it recognized the address. I tried to reset it 3 times with no luck.

Was I doing something wrong?

With the jumper removed the LED should flash faster than normal. If that happens then you have reset it.

The Unit ID is not reset... It is preserved but all other internal registers are cleared.

Dan

Arrgggghhhh

Another sticky channel?
I put power to a group of controllers that I power down at shows end and saw a string of CDI leds flickering atop one of my sticks in the display. I owered it down, up, down, unloaded LOR control, reloaded it, rebooted, reloaded, tried a 7 watt night light, nothing unstuck it. Did not reset the board 'cause I didn't have time before the show started so I just left that string unplugged. When the night light was plugged in the channel did not flicker however. Only the junk CDI led's.

Here is something interesting, the other night I had the show going and when I woke up in the morn I noticed that there were several channels stuck on shimmering even tho the show was off. I unplugged the usb cord and all of the lights went out.

I'm starting to wonder if there is a conflict issue or an issue with the driver that is causing the problems.

It doesn't seem that this is much of an issue for other people or they just live with it, but it's driving me crazy.

The snow collapsed part of the display a couple of days ago so I'm not having an issue now that's it's off:)

I had the same problem for the last 2 years, this is my third year with Light O Rama. I was using ELL's to run the show off my laptop. This year I bought the MP3 show director, where you don't need the computer, only an SD card. The lights have worked perfect ever since. I was thinking maybe it's the software or interference from somewhere thats causing the lights to stick. The only problem I had with the show director was when I tried to overwrite a show on the same card. To fix it I deleted all the files first, then copied the show to the card and never had a problem since.

I'm beginning to wonder about the driver/USB thing as well.
It may explain why the FireFlys would do their own thing from time to time.
Very erratic behavior in that case.
Is there any way it can be tested or verified?

That I don't know. I read somewhere that the problem may be with software. I tried a few things to get the lights to go off, fading, flashing them.I checked the channels to make sure they didn't have the same address. The DMX channels stuck too. Sometimes it worked then they started sticking again. Last year I thought that I was the only one with this problem. Also last year the lights would play the way they supposed to, then the next time around they would stick.

So far the MP3 director works like a charm.

jimpwa wrote:

So far the MP3 director works like a charm.

I had a very strong feeling that using a MP3 director would eliminate this problem.

I never got around to reformatting my show computer, that was one thing I really wanted to try. I also feel that having multiple USB drivers from other existing programs could add to this issue.

I also thought about the software but where it seems to be a select few I think it's a matter of what platform is being used to run the program and show. The MP3 director takes all of that out of the equation but I really want to find out what is causing the problem in the first place.