Light-O-Rama Forums

Please help me out and cast a vote

Erik

My wife talked me into entering a contest done by one of the local radio stations here in Utah even though it is just a picture and not video of the display. You can cast your vote by going to http://www.971zht.com/pages/zoo_lights08/ voting starts on Tuesday the 16th at 7am MST and the winner will be announced on Friday the 19th so just a couple days to get the votes in. It looks like I'm entry 18 but in case that changes I've attached the picture so you will know.

Thanks for you support

Attached files 167089=9621-gvillelights.jpg

Hay I voted for 23 or was it 15. No I voted for yours 3 times. Nothing like rigging a vote. :P I used all my e-mail accounts to vote. Hope you enjoy the $1000 dollars. I know you will use it to buy more controllers, I would. So lets hear more people helping Erik out.

friskybri wrote:

Hay I voted for 23 or was it 15. No I voted for yours 3 times. Nothing like rigging a vote. :P I used all my e-mail accounts to vote. Hope you enjoy the $1000 dollars. I know you will use it to buy more controllers, I would. So lets hear more people helping Erik out.

Thanks for the support, I figure $1000 is another 7-8 controllers. Just what I needed.

friskybri wrote:

Hay I voted for 23 or was it 15. No I voted for yours 3 times. Nothing like rigging a vote. :D I used all my e-mail accounts to vote.

That probably isn't going to work. It looks like they use IP address filters in addition to email addresses. Which of course is the smart thing to do. It's a little harder to stuff the box until you are faking IP addresses.

Richard Hamilton wrote:

friskybri wrote:
Hay I voted for 23 or was it 15. No I voted for yours 3 times. Nothing like rigging a vote. :D I used all my e-mail accounts to vote.

That probably isn't going to work. It looks like they use IP address filters in addition to email addresses. Which of course is the smart thing to do. It's a little harder to stuff the box until you are faking IP addresses.

Guys I work with told me it was just a cookie, and they have been able to vote using different email address by deleting cookies after each vote. That seems to work.

Erik wrote:

Richard Hamilton wrote:
friskybri wrote:

Guys I work with told me it was just a cookie, and they have been able to vote using different email address by deleting cookies after each vote. That seems to work.

Eric, Gee, that's a bit dishonest in my view. What happened to honest voting? ;-)
My board uses cookies too... I think most boards do. But the voting software on my site filters out multiple IP addresses during the talley. Looks like they use the same scripts. At any rate, why bother trying to defeat it.

Richard Hamilton wrote:

Erik wrote:
Richard Hamilton wrote:
friskybri wrote:

Eric, Gee, that's a bit dishonest in my view. What happened to honest voting? ;-)
My board uses cookies too... I think most boards do. But the voting software on my site filters out multiple IP addresses during the talley. Looks like they use the same scripts. At any rate, why bother trying to defeat it.

Not trying to be dishonest, or defeat the system. We were simply trying to find a way for all members of a family to vote. If what you are saying is true then a household would only get 1 vote, is that fair?

Ok off of my soapbox.:D

For those of you that have voted for me I really do appreciate the support

Erik wrote:

Not trying to be dishonest, or defeat the system. We were simply trying to find a way for all members of a family to vote. If what you are saying is true then a household would only get 1 vote, is that fair?

Ok off of my soapbox.:)
For those of you that have voted for me I really do appreciate the support

Just giving you a hard time Erik :D
I voted for ya, but only once.
Nope, probably not fair that a household only gets one vote, but that is the way a lot of boards work. There are usually IP address filters to prevent stuffing the ballot.
Hmmm, so this is how Obama won huh? cheers. hope you win.

Well let me stir the pot. Next time you have an election for County Commission or a Mayor would you please let me know so I can vote?

I believe it is not dishonest but unethical for someone to ask for votes in a "local" contest. Whether it is you or someone else.

Actually, I am quite turned off by all the "vote for me" posts when it comes to a national contest. Maybe just supply the information and then let the chips fall where they may.

I mean honestly, is it really rewarding to win a local contest when you know you asked people from all over to vote?

As far as trying to defeat the cookies are concerned it is pretty simple. That was meant to be one vote per household. Not sure why in this day and age we always feel something is not fair or we need to get an "angle" all for the sake of winning.

I sir, have to agree with Robin and everyone who start a thread about help me win a vote ( even as a joke in other forums)(yes it's talked about).
it is dishonest to ask other to help one win, without even seeing the other contestent, or your for that matter. Pictures says a thousand word, so what.

you think you have the best display. SHOW IT
you think you have the best sequence. BRING IT.

the true meaning as to why we do this is to bring smiles and joy. Not for the money or fame. And thats what really missing.
I got my first letter this weekend from a little girl who thanked me for putting a light show, singing her favorite songs. (MY WIFE FRAMED IT...)

I don't charge a fee and my show, IT IS ALL FREE.

VOTING TO ME, DOES NOT MATTER.

But a smile and a simple letter makes me proud. THE TIME i SPENT SHOWING MY STUFF...

SO TO YOU, BRING IT. SHOW YOUR TALENT AND STUFF.

evana wrote:

I sir, have to agree with Robin and everyone who start a thread about help me win a vote ( even as a joke in other forums)(yes it's talked about).
it is dishonest to ask other to help one win, without even seeing the other contestent, or your for that matter. Pictures says a thousand word, so what.

you think you have the best display. SHOW IT
you think you have the best sequence. BRING IT.

the true meaning as to why we do this is to bring smiles and joy. Not for the money or fame. And thats what really missing.
I got my first letter this weekend from a little girl who thanked me for putting a light show, singing her favorite songs. (MY WIFE FRAMED IT...)

I don't charge a fee and my show, IT IS ALL FREE.

VOTING TO ME, DOES NOT MATTER.

But a smile and a simple letter makes me proud. THE TIME i SPENT SHOWING MY STUFF...

SO TO YOU, BRING IT. SHOW YOUR TALENT AND STUFF.

i couldnt agree more...contests are not what its about...its about the smiles on the faces of kids from 9 months to 99 years old...i love listening out the window to some people reactions, the laughter etc...im sorry but i cant vote for a display i cant see in person and asking for votes from 'buddies' on the net is IMO cheating...only those who can see it should vote...sorry

my winning a contest this year? was an old high school friend stopping by the other night and telling me its his third time...THIRD TIME...coming by THIS year and referring to my house as a "landmark"...thats my prize...is whats been said to me by people who SEE the display...LIVE

johnny christmas wrote:

coming by THIS year and referring to my house as a "landmark"...thats my prize...is whats been said to me by people who SEE the display...LIVE

Thats what I get. Local shops being asked Where's the house with the lights and music at? And they all know where it is.