Light-O-Rama Forums

How to install decorations on the roof of your house

stanward

I want to put some decorations on the roof of my house, but am not sure what is the best way to secure the items up there.

I'm not sure if it's best to tie fishing line to secure the items up on the roof top?

Stan

what type of decorations?

Blow ups cut out a small plywood square. Screw the blow up into the wood (make sure screws don't poke through) get pavers and place them on the wood.

Same works for blown plastics. I use long drywall screws and drill from the wood into the plastic.

Same for 3d metal frame decorations get appropriate hardware and clips.

This pretty much works for everything.

I have corrugated iron roofing.

What is "pavers?"

I was thinking of putting wire frame type decorations on the roof, and was wondering how you keep them from sliding off the slope of the roof? But I really haven't decided yet.

Anyone have pictures of their decorations on the roof?

mikey wrote:

what type of decorations?

Blow ups cut out a small plywood square. Screw the blow up into the wood (make sure screws don't poke through) get pavers and place them on the wood.

Same works for blown plastics. I use long drywall screws and drill from the wood into the plastic.

Same for 3d metal frame decorations get appropriate hardware and clips.

This pretty much works for everything.

1-4x4 how long you need it, 2 - 2x4 about foot and half long and some sand bags. I cut the 4x4 the length of the wire frame feet and mount the 2x4 to the end of the 4x4 with lag bolts. Sand bag on top of each 2x4 and it will hold up in strong winds. I drill holes (size larger than the wire frame feet but not to big) in the 4x4 so I can slip the wire frame feet into it. I had some wind up to 30 mph and they didnt move but it did bend the wire frame feet and i had to bend them back.

I have a Santa wire frame and a star frame at the peak of my roof. I will take some pic. next couple of days and post them here. Stay tuned! Pictures are worth a thousand word!

Where are you located at? Its not on your profile :P

Bryan

Oopsie, I'm located in Keaau, near Hilo, Hawaii, on the Big Island.

I would love to see pictures!

Thank you!

Stan

Bryan wrote:

1-4x4 how long you need it, 2 - 2x4 about foot and half long and some sand bags. I cut the 4x4 the length of the wire frame feet and mount the 2x4 to the end of the 4x4 with lag bolts. Sand bag on top of each 2x4 and it will hold up in strong winds. I drill holes (size larger than the wire frame feet but not to big) in the 4x4 so I can slip the wire frame feet into it. I had some wind up to 30 mph and they didnt move but it did bend the wire frame feet and i had to bend them back.

I have a Santa wire frame and a star frame at the peak of my roof. I will take some pic. next couple of days and post them here. Stay tuned! Pictures are worth a thousand word!

Where are you located at? Its not on your profile :(

Bryan

Hope that helps! I did them last minute and I am very glad I did. They look great at night. I have a big yard but didnt want to put them in the yard because some one could steal them! Unless they have a ladder I think I am safe;)

Bryan

Picture of my front yard from the roof

102_0008.jpg

Hello

I also have a metal roof and ran into a problem of what can i use to get lights on the roof. Well being in the computer field all these years an idea came to my mind, Hard drive magnets!!!!! I bought about 150 of these on ebay for about $60.00. Then I went to orchard and bought wood dowels and cut them to about 1 3/4. Also some of the magnets had a film, so you have to clean them. ( we used electronic cleaner) Then gorilla glue!!!!!! I glued the cut wood dowels to the top of the hard drive magnets and then placed them in a clamp for a day. After they dry, you can paint them to match the color of your roof or do what we did and paint them black! Here is a picture of our final product. So far we havnt had any break while on the roof holding up our c9's. Next year we plan to make alot more but instead of using gorilla glue, we are switching to jb weld.

you can see them in action on our website.

http://www.lightsofmodesto.com

Hope this helps you!

Jeff =)

Attached files 166418=9573-DSCF0414.JPG

Jeff and Bryan, thank you very much for your help on this issue. I need to plan on what I will be doing next year.

I do have corrugated iron roof, so the magnet idea seems very pleasing.

This goes to show, both of you are very innovative and creative thinkers!

Thanks again!

Stan

I connect the end of two 8 foot 2x6's together with a door hinge. I then lay the 2x6's in eather side of the peak with the hinge at the top. space these 7' part on the roof and you can run a 2x4 accross them at any level on the roof on either side. I use a 3/4 inch floor flange and nipple to hold 1/2 inch conduit for verticle dtructures to attach mesh or other items. Most of it is under snow so I can not send a picture right now.