Light-O-Rama Forums

Cat5 cable problem..help ...

Guest guest

this may be a simple problem to resolve, not sure. my 1st unit has been running fine when i test it so i know from my computer to unit #1 is ok. i went to do the daisy chain last night to unit #2. an older guy i know who is a computer /electrical engineer came over and crimped me some male plugs on my length of cat 5 cable. when i plugged them in and refreshed it only recognized th 1st unit. all the unit #'s are assigned right and power to them are good. the l.e.d. on unit 1 goes solid, but the led on unit 2 is still blinking at a diff rate than before cat 5 is plugged in.

he is coming bak today to bring a tester. he said it might be that he has to switch or cross some of the wires on one end and that might fix it. does this seem like the problem?

-stephen

Hi,

If plugging the cat5 cable in makes the LED blink differently then unplug it....

This is a straight thru cable ( no crossover)

If the cables are long enough try plugging directly into the second unit from the PC with the cable that you know works.

thanks dan , i remember him asking me if it used a straight thru or crossover. last weekend i tested each unit at the location that unit 1 is at. they both worked good then. i ran the green cable i got from you from my comp. to unit #1 via thru the floor and of the office and thru the brick wall.

he's coming back to my house this evening before dark and gonna recrimp some male plugs for me. maybe that will work.

-stephen

blazerstephen wrote:

thanks dan , i remember him asking me if it used a straight thru or crossover. last weekend i tested each unit at the location that unit 1 is at. they both worked good then. i ran the green cable i got from you from my comp. to unit #1 via thru the floor and of the office and thru the brick wall.

he's coming back to my house this evening before dark and gonna recrimp some male plugs for me. maybe that will work.

-stephen

Does the guy have a cable tester? I picked one up for around $20 and it's great to know my cables are working without having to experience LOR issues to find out they're not.

-Tim

I ordered a spool of cable from a website (the URL escapes me at the moment) and got the following:

1000 ft of CAT 5
RJ-45 Crimper
Ethernet Cable Tester
100 RJ45 ends

All for about $40 or $45. This is exceptionally cheap. I don't recall where I purchased it at the moment, but I found the same deal at the following site:

http://www.mdofpc.com/onlinestore/genica-1000-ft-cat5e-1001000mhz-networking-kit-p-7458.html

Granted the crimpers they give you aren't the best in the world (they take a lot of force to crimp the end on the wire) but they do work and the price is right. For a much more secure and reliable connection, I'd recommend a "ratcheting" type crimper. You might also want to buy some boots to put on the cable. Anyway, the point of my post is that the cable comes with crimper and tester so you can test your cables.