Light-O-Rama Forums

New S2 Release: Version 2.1.2

bob

taybrynn wrote:

I'm really happy about the RDS addition.

Personally, I'm surprised with the timing ... as it seems like
a huge (potential) risk to introduce a new version in December.
I know it'll probably be fine, but experience tells me not to update
till after my 2008 show is over.

I know its only an upgrade -- and upgrades are usually minimal,
so in that sense this is an amazing upgrade.

But -- I'd really like to see big hitter enhancements in the future.
None of these enhancements gets me particularly excited.
Not to dampen the fact that they are probably good and necessary,
this software still had lots of room to make the job of sequencing faster
and easier to a majority of users as opposed to obscure features
that only benefit a small % of end users.

I'd like to see big improvements in the usability of the software -- things
like dynamic tagging, filtering, grouping, mega tree wizards, leaping arch wizards,
improved shared configuration files, mass channel deletes, animator improvements, sequence migration utilities, etc. ...

I know the trigger stuff is cool, esp. for advanced users ... but I question how many
people really need that kind of stuff. Even the percentage of users with RDS on
their transmitters must be well under 1% of the user base.

I'd like to see more stuff that helps 80% (or more) and less stuff that helps very few. Maybe those big items will be 'for sale' ... in 2009 ... ??

I guess I'm asking too much of a free upgrade, right?

Now if Dan would just hire me ... :)

I would love for some of those improvements in the future! I can vouch for the difficulty of the mass deletions when sharing files from other users. A mega tree wizard would be awesome! Nonetheless, I am looking forward to using the RDS feature!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bob

• Texan78

• hbomb341

• bhays

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I value your opinion a lot Jeff ... so if your happy, then I'm happy also.

Deleting those extra channels just about gives me carpel tunnel every single time.
I'm like ... we can add 100 channels in a second, but deleting them is another story.

I have 2 controllers LOR1602W's that I purchased from LOR last year and I don't know if they are the Blue or Green boards.
Can you tell me which firmware I would use with these without me having to climb on the roof and open them up?

Tim,

I'm planning on doing the same thing with my BetaBrite. I started working on that yesterday, but I'm having a bit of trouble because I need to be able to send ASCII Characters and I haven't done it in so long, I can't remember how to do it in a batch file! Let me know if you work something out. I'm considering writing up a quick VB program to take the name of the song as a command line argument....

Last night when I saw that the update came out I went ahead and installed the software, knowing that it usually doesn't have any issues. I debated for a while on whether or not to do the firmware updates, but I went ahead and gave it a try. I have been running the show for just over an hour and half with absolutely no issues. My show is now running like normal (goes on at 4:30) and there isn't an issue to be found. I am very very impressed over the software and firmware updates.

Great Job LOR!!

Duke wrote:

Where can I get RDS broadcast hardware?

It's not that easy. Even if you get the RDS portion, your transmitter might not support it. What type of transmitter do you have?

For those wanting to use a Betabrite Display, I found a program already created for us to use....

http://www.industrologic.com/betasoft.htm

Use the BetaCom program. Running it without any arguments will return usage information. Here is the command line I use:

betacom.exe COM2 {Rotate} {Red} - {Green}

The only problem I've seen with it is it places a long blank space behind each song. I am going to continue trying to write my own program, but this will suffice for now.

The program writes to file A. I stored "Now Playing" in File B and set the sign to run BA....the sign then displays Now Playing: - ....better than nothing for now until I figure out why my VB program isn't working.

Duke wrote:

Where can I get RDS broadcast hardware?

You can buy this External RDS unit but you need to mod your transmitter to work with it. I have seen a how to for this floating around in the forum...

http://www.pira.cz/rds/

Or you can use Airomate which will encoded it to your tranismtter is your sound card supports 192 mhz. I think that is the easiest route to go with and what I plan on doing.

http://www.diffusionsoftware.com/airomate.php

I Downloaded S2 2.1.2 today and when I open the hardware utility and go to add a sequence on the MP-3 Player Showlist I get this message. (Error with sequence file:Creating Sequence File Path/File Access error)

I was wondering if someone who has downloaded the new release could try this as well to see if they get the same message.

Thanks Leon

Yes, I ran the sequence editor many times. I also downloaded 2.1.2 again and reinstalled since my first post, but I still get the same message.

Thanks Leon

Well, I just upgraded firmware on 17 CTB16PC's and it went flawlessly. However, the upgrade on my iDMX1000 seems to have gone horribly wrong... can't talk to it, doesn't show up in a refresh...

I just set the max units to all the way out and am doing another refresh...hoping that it just lost it's unit ID..... panic is setting in.

Whew.... the firmware upgrade reset the unit ID from 30 where I use it back to E0...
Changed the unit ID back and all is well... I get to sleep tonight after all :cool:

Leon Telg wrote:

I Downloaded S2 2.1.2 today and when I open the hardware utility and go to add a sequence on the MP-3 Player Showlist I get this message. (Error with sequence file:Creating Sequence File Path/File Access error)

Leon - I get the same message. (I'm running Vista.)

Was able to upgrade, pretty easily. Thanks Guys for the upgrade. Can't wait to try the fading simmer and twinkle. Something I have wanted for a long time.

But, I had one problem with the firmware upgrade. I was able to upgrade my three CTB16PC controllers through the network. But, I couldn't upgrade my CTB16KSs through the network. Do I have to plug directly into these cards to upgrade the firmware? (I have the Blue Boards)