Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega tree tie down

bossgroove

I've searched for this answer.

My mega tree is assembled in this manner.

Lights start at the bottom, on a pvc circle on the ground, go up, and come back to the PVC Circle, then plug into the controller in the center of the circle by the pole.

I had a huge wind storm on Sunday that completely stretched out my light strings. I think the reason they stretched is because of the way I tied the lights to the pvc circle on the ground. I just zip tied them to their spots.

Is there a way to attach the lights to the pvc circle that will keep them in their place better?

How is your PVC anchored to the ground. I usually just use some 2X2 boards pounded in the ground and put a screw through the PVC into the top of the boards.

You have to consider that new light strings will stretch after a few days. If it is a major problem then just redo them but tighter this time. When you do, make a complete wrap around the PVC and cross the light string then zip tie and it should hold up pretty well for you.

Is your mega tree tethered with guy wires? This would help transfer the motion from the wind directly to the ground easing the tension on the light strings.

I basically did the same thing but used 3 wires that are attached 2/3rds of the way up to help stabilize the tree in high winds. So far using the zip ties to attach the lights at the bottom have worked well.

How high and wide is the tree?

The one I built is fairly narrow and not spread out to help with any drooping that might happen from using new strands of lights.