Light-O-Rama Forums

mega leaping arch

thebaronn

My front yard is very small and that is why my mini mega tree is on the front porch. It is 13 feet high....from the deck.

So yes my front yard is small about 40ft wide and 30ft deep.....but if my back yard was my front yard then I would have 50 wide and 100 feet long. Then I could do those big arches.

Baronn, your dome idea over a 20ft mega tree could work. Lets say that a 20ft tree is spread out about 10 feet......well someone could put up 5 arches 2 or 3 feet apart....and while the tree is spinning the arches are leaping.

Why could n someone take 8, 12 or 16 10ft arches and tie them together in the middle and make a leaping spinning arch. Kinda like a spider.

I think I will draw up a plan and see how it looks on paper, and then do a make shift leaping spinning arch. Can even put a 10ft tree in the middle and the arches encircling the tree.

Attached files 172016=9852-100_0992.JPG

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thebaronn

• oohyahla

• lightzilla

• scottsgrfx

Baron, first, 'AM' is 'above-mentioned' abbreviated.

Second, yes please, steal my idea then send me the plan so I could make one myself. I was thinking making a 16-channel 3D star, so what do you think? Is it still possible? I guess it's going to be a sturdy project since all 16 frames will touch the ground. A pole in the middle of it will really make the construction strong. Now, the question is, how am I going to make an exact replica of my 4-foot star and make it into a 10 or 12 foot star? What materials should I use? Lights? Number of lights? Kind of lights?

It still is February, 10 months to go and I feel like I'm not going to finish my project for next year's Christmas show in time. I've already spent $2,500 on decors and another $1800 on lights yet I feel like I haven't started yet. Am I right on track? Or should I scrap this whole plan and call it quits?

I think I ate more than I could chew.:)

thebaronn wrote:

is this what you were thinking of? Its what I was thinking!

If only I had endless money and endless front yard!

Yes!

Now can you do that same picture without the tree in the middle, but the legs all tied together in the middle? That dome idea without the tree in the middle would do the same as a mega tree ....like spin, or laser beam from side to side....except it can leap while spinning.

Baronn can you add lights to those arches and have them leap and have lights on the tree and have them go spinning around on this drawing of yours.

oohyahla wrote:

Second, yes please, steal my idea then send me the plan so I could make one myself. I was thinking making a 16-channel 3D star, so what do you think? Is it still possible? I guess it's going to be a sturdy project since all 16 frames will touch the ground. A pole in the middle of it will really make the construction strong. Now, the question is, how am I going to make an exact replica of my 4-foot star and make it into a 10 or 12 foot star? What materials should I use? Lights? Number of lights? Kind of lights?

It still is February, 10 months to go and I feel like I'm not going to finish my project for next year's Christmas show in time. I've already spent $2,500 on decors and another $1800 on lights yet I feel like I haven't started yet. Am I right on track? Or should I scrap this whole plan and call it quits?

I have a large front yard too. Could you please check the picture and give me your suggestion as to what I should do?

I'm planning to have a 10-12 mega tree(16 channels), 10 cones(10 channels), 4(16 channels) leaping arches using 64-channels.

Could you give me an idea where I should put all those? What do you think about that palm tree? 'Cuz I'm thinking about wrapping it with tinsel and some lights(probably discard the mega tree and put the 16 channels there). Also, is it a good idea to put lights on the palm tree's leaves? You know, to creat like a pyrotechnic effect. But I guess it's a big job only you guys would be able to do. Just thinking how I could get up there frustrates me already. Not to mention, staying up there and not falling.

I think I'm a victim of my own greed, ambition and perfectionism. I think I need a shrink, lol. I need prozac... or any advice.

I'm thinking about making all my decors(2 angels, 2 drummer bears, 2 gold bells, giant... blah blah blah) STATIC... except for the arches, cones and mega tree. Would that look nice? Or, corny? 'Cuz I'm going nuts thinking about doing the whole thing right without having to break my back... or wallet.

Attached files 172026=9854-Untitled.jpg

oohyahla wrote:

AM: sweet, nice to learn something new.

And you asked the wrong person if you should quit......my answer is NEVER!!!!!

I was adding new stuff up until the week b4 christmas. I sequenced "i like to move it" for my son after christmas.

On the star, I would weld it using 1/4" steel. And then I would let the lights dictate the size of the star. How ever much space you want to give per light * the number of lights per star you want to use = the perimeter of the star.

I was reading your post when I noticed that you're from San Jose. I might(probably, will) vist you this coming December to look at your display.

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I just need to do things one at a time. I'm a level-headed person but it's just that I want to make my first christmas show successful... and, uh... it's a secret --- I want to win next year's Best Christmas Display(I'm in Tracy)... hehehe. Have any advice as to how I could win the judges' hearts, and votes? 'Cuz last year's winner's display was corny, too busy, too loud and I want to teach him how it should be done... modesty aside.)

I'm sorry if I sound conceited but I'm just being frank. All of us have 'hidden' reasons why they decide to put up their displays. Some even hide behind charity work, some as 'contribution to the community', and some, though they hide it, as a form of bragging, and some do it for fun... just like you(judging from your posts).

Once again, thanks for your advice.

oohyahla wrote:

I was reading your post when I noticed that you're from San Jose. I might(probably, will) vist you this coming December to look at your display.

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I just need to do things one at a time. I'm a level-headed person but it's just that I want to make my first christmas show successful... and, uh... it's a secret --- I want to win next year's Best Christmas Display(I'm in Tracy)... hehehe. Have any advice as to how I could win the judges' hearts, and votes? 'Cuz last year's winner's display was corny, too busy, too loud and I want to teach him how it should be done... modesty aside.)

I'm sorry if I sound conceited but I'm just being frank. All of us have 'hidden' reasons why they decide to put up their displays. Some even hide behind charity work, some as 'contribution to the community', and some, though they hide it, as a form of bragging, and some do it for fun... just like you(judging from your posts).

Once again, thanks for your advice.

TRACY!!! LOL!!! Im sorry.........21 years of my life there!!!

Im trying to buy a home in manteca right now! Small world

Yes, go anywhere except Tracy(don't ruin my ambition), lol!

Manteca is just 5,000 of your giant leaping arches away from here. Well, good luck! I'm pretty sure your 'grand plan' MA will have a tremendous influence on your choice of house --- I bet my life on that!

Ok, so you take Manteca and I take Tracy. I hope we don't cross our paths in LOR christmas contest next year( I'm planning 64, so tell me how many channels you have so I could adjust mines accordingly...hahaha!)

oohyahla wrote:

I have a large front yard too. Could you please check the picture and give me your suggestion as to what I should do?

I'm planning to have a 10-12 mega tree(16 channels), 10 cones(10 channels), 4(16 channels) leaping arches using 64-channels.

Could you give me an idea where I should put all those? What do you think about that palm tree? 'Cuz I'm thinking about wrapping it with tinsel and some lights(probably discard the mega tree and put the 16 channels there). Also, is it a good idea to put lights on the palm tree's leaves? You know, to creat like a pyrotechnic effect. But I guess it's a big job only you guys would be able to do. Just thinking how I could get up there frustrates me already. Not to mention, staying up there and not falling.

I think I'm a victim of my own greed, ambition and perfectionism. I think I need a shrink, lol. I need prozac... or any advice.

I'm thinking about making all my decors(2 angels, 2 drummer bears, 2 gold bells, giant... blah blah blah) STATIC... except for the arches, cones and mega tree. Would that look nice? Or, corny? 'Cuz I'm going nuts thinking about doing the whole thing right without having to break my back... or wallet.

There are waaaaaayyyyy more people more qualified than me to answer this question. but here you go:

Attached files 172036=9855-myhouse.JPG

oohyahla wrote:

Yes, go anywhere except Tracy(don't ruin my ambition), lol!

Manteca is just 5,000 of your giant leaping arches away from here. Well, good luck! I'm pretty sure your 'grand plan' MA will have a tremendous influence on your choice of house --- I bet my life on that!

Ok, so you take Manteca and I take Tracy. I hope we don't cross our paths in LOR christmas contest next year( I'm planning 64, so tell me how many channels you have so I could adjust mines accordingly...hahaha!)

you are 100% correct. My wife even said "ooh your lights would look good on this house!" Now just have to get approved

oohyahla wrote:

You can add 48 channels to that tree on the right side of your house alone. 16 channels of green, 16 channels of blue, and 16 of red or whatever colours you so choose.....think what that would look like to (Christmas Eve Sarajervo).

Why not turn your Palm tree into a mega tree and have.....have 96 channels for the Palm tree.....same colours but 32 channels for green, 32 for blue and 32 for red. Coming straight done to the ground....perhaps you may need to double the channels on the Palm tree.

Then do the same 3 colour on the rest of the bushes ( however many bushes you have) Perhaps another 48 channels may cover the bushes.

five bushes take up 15 channels

Then add those leaping arches in that the Baronn put in ..... thats another 48 channels then those cones or mini trees that the baronn added that 3 coloures times the trees (whats that about 30 channels)

Man that would be some cost, but sure would look great.

oohyahla wrote:

Wow! Exactly what I've envisioned... but, hmmm... where would I park my car?

Sometimes we make sacrifices. My wife had to park on the street during christmas.

I think the palm tree would be a nice touch but I have no clue how hard it would be to light up. But how bout in addition!!!! If you listen to us, you will be broke!!!

thebaronn wrote:

oohyahla wrote:

There are waaaaaayyyyy more people more qualified than me to answer this question. but here you go:

Put the mega tree on the right side of the house, add leaping arches along the road way and the driveway.

O and about 16 mini trees at the bottom of the Palm tree.

If you did what I mentioned you would need between 224 to 320 channels depending on the Palm tree. Plus a big pile of extension cords, LED lights