• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LightORamaDan

• Charles Belcher

• Max-Paul

• bob

LightORamaDan wrote:

Hi Charles,

I know that we have made some Sequence Editor performance improvements that will be most noticeable with large sequences. I am not sure if we have been able to reproduce this particular problem... Although this affects a number of people it does not happen to everyone and unfortunately it does not happen on LOR PCs.

We will have a solution one way or another within the next couple of months.

Dan

Hello Dan,

It is good to hear from you. I hope you, Mary and John are doing well and ready for yet another busy season.

This little problem is only like a mosquito buzzing around your ear and I am sure there are certainly bigger bugs to swat. It is irritating, but nothing more.

For me, the compiling speed is a much bigger issue in that it slows down the programming time. Have you made any progress with that?

Charles

Charles Belcher wrote:

Hello Dan,

It is good to hear from you. I hope you, Mary and John are doing well and ready for yet another busy season.

This little problem is only like a mosquito buzzing around your ear and I am sure there are certainly bigger bugs to swat. It is irritating, but nothing more.

For me, the compiling speed is a much bigger issue in that it slows down the programming time. Have you made any progress with that?

Charles

Hi Charles,

Yes there has been a significant improvement in that area. We are doing well and yes we are starting to get ready for another year!

Thanks
Dan

Dan,

Am I the bull in the room that no one wants to aknowledge? I revived this thread and 2hrs later your buddy also posted. Who did you respond to? Your buddy Charles. Now I really dont care if Charles does not care about this hopping around while programming. But it has caused me some time and flustration. I even offered to try to help pin down this bug by asking what information are you all looking for.

I cant help feeling slighted. Again I offer to help by providing information as to what I am doing at the time this "hopping" happens. Heck I'll even ship off to you my sequence "poorly done as it is" to help analize what is going on.

Respectively I request a responce to me this time.

Max

1st year in the making.

Max-Paul wrote:

Dan,

Am I the bull in the room that no one wants to aknowledge? I revived this thread and 2hrs later your buddy also posted. Who did you respond to? Your buddy Charles. Now I really dont care if Charles does not care about this hopping around while programming. But it has caused me some time and flustration. I even offered to try to help pin down this bug by asking what information are you all looking for.

I cant help feeling slighted. Again I offer to help by providing information as to what I am doing at the time this "hopping" happens. Heck I'll even ship off to you my sequence "poorly done as it is" to help analize what is going on.

Max

1st year in the making.
Max,

My guess is that Dan came across this thread after monitoring the recent posts heading on the forum and found the two posts referencing the "bunny hop". They were within a couple of hours from one another and located on a thread that had been dead for four months. They were both posted on a Sunday and Dan made his reply first thing Monday morning.

Not unlike 99% of everyone on this forum, I am simply a customer of LOR and hold no "buddie" relationship with LOR. I had the good fortune of meeting Dan, Mary, Alex and John at the Texas Christmas Light conference last summer. Having had the pleasure of putting a face with a name, I made a personal comment.

Nothing more, nothing less. I would email LOR direct, if you want a more in depth reply.

Charles

Max-Paul wrote:

Dan,

Max

1st year in the making.

Hi Max,

I only read the last post when I got the notification that there was a response to the thread. Should have read back a bit.

I was talking to Bob today and when he finishes what he is working on he is going to work on this problem. That should happen in the next day or two. Bob will be looking for any help getting to the bottom of this. As I mentioned we have not been able to reproduce this.... It has happened to me but I have not been able to go back and get it to happen again.

Dan

Thanks Dan for the reply. If I can assit Bob with any info that would help him with helping us. Then please pass on to Bob my screen name.

Again, thanks for your reply.

Max

LightORamaDan wrote:

I was talking to Bob today and when he finishes what he is working on he is going to work on this problem. That should happen in the next day or two. Bob will be looking for any help getting to the bottom of this. As I mentioned we have not been able to reproduce this.... It has happened to me but I have not been able to go back and get it to happen again.

It should be pretty easy to reproduce - it happens all the time. All you have to do is program anything at all and then scroll either up or down to a track that's currently off the screen. The track you just scrolled to will not be aligned with the one you were just working in. If you position the cursor back in the track you were working in and press the space bar to begin playback, it will cause the tracks to almost align. To get them completely aligned, you have to stop the playback and then push the play button in the tool bar and only then will the tracks snap to perfect alignment. Again, it shouldn't be hard to reproduce - it happens all the time and has happened from the first day I downloaded S2 - all versions.

George,

Thanks for the input. That issue that you have mentioned is not the issue that I am talking about. In the case you are talking about, the tracks are miss alighned on the screen but within each track the timing mark is correct.... This is something we have talked about fixing and I am not sure of the status. As you stated, it is easy to reproduce and it is actually a function of the fact that each track is displayed independently.

The issue of the jumping screen is when the screen moves a little when you click on a cell. For example lets say that the top of the grid is channel 25... When you click on a cell in that channel the screen may move so that channel 24 is now at the top of the screen. This can cause you to put an event into the wrong channel.

For some people this seems to happen often. For other people it simply never happens at all.

Dan nailed it on the head. I have 4 tracks that are arranged with logical items. One is for the controller that has lights on the house. Another track is for some of the lights in the yard. Another track is for the other lights in the yard. And I just created another track to handle my 4 arches. So, this track has two controllers and 32 channels in it. But my screen only can show a total of say 24 channels (I dont remember the exact count at this momment). So I have to scroll the screen up and down to see the first 6 channels or the last 6 channels. Lets say I am working on one of the first 3 arches and I now want to work on the the 4th arch. So, I scroll down so I can see all of the last 8 channels and I click on a square that reps 2nd controller channel 9. As I click on this square, I see a shift. Right now I think it is a shift up by one channel so actually the channel I just modified (fade, turned on / off or twinkle) is on channel 8 of the 2nd controller. Now If you just happen to miss seeing this shift and you go on and do another few seconds or minutes. You notice that something is amiss. So you go back and then you find where things are where they are suppose to be. Then you scratch your head and wonder, what happened here. then you realize everything is shifted from this point on till you stopped. So, now you have to cut and paste to get things back to where they are supposed to be. Ok, all coding is fixed back to where you stopped. Ok, what was I doing / thinking? Scratch your head for a few minutes till your back up to speed and then continue. Till you slip to notice another shift / hope in the grid. Which happened about 3 times in an hour. It must have taken a good 5 - 7 minutes to correct each time it happened.

Kind of drives a newbie like me crazy trying to learn how to seq. along with a crazy arse bug like this.

Max

I don't think it is just about tracks. I had it happen last year before I was even using tracks.

I have been following this thread for the last few days and have to agree with Max and the others that this is a very irritating condition to have to watch for when sequencing.

Last year was my first year with animated lighting and sequencing and I chalked up this problem to being my own "lack of understanding" and probably the fact that I started way too late with things and was always in a hurry.

Now that I have been working on new sequences for the coming year, I am more and more frustrated by this. It does break your "train of thought" while working on things as well as make you "mad as h___" when you discover that you have a mistake that you have to go back and fix just about the time that you are getting into a good rhythm at setting something up.

This happens to me on 3 different computers that I use, so it doesn't appear to be "hardware specific".

I was only using approx. 80 channels last year, but this year I am doing sequences that contain over 200 channels so I get very cranky when it happens and I have to stop and fix something as well as the trouble of finding a "skip" if I am not paying very close attention to things as I go.

Bill

JBullard wrote:

and I guess I must be one of the luckyones, has never happened to me (yet)

Mainly because of the difficulty we have reproducing it, my guess is that it only happens to a "lucky" few BUT it certianly is something that has to get fixed. Because of the number of LOR users, a few percent is 100s of people so that "lucky" few is likely not really just a few....

Dan

After watching this thread for awhile, I must say this channel "hopping" actually happens all the time in Microsoft Excel. You can click on a different cell and poof, the highlighted box shows up somewhere else. I don't think it's an LOR only problem, and I'm not sure it can be fixed. It seems to be a gui/cpu/hard drive timing issue, meaning the computer isn't able to "keep-up" with the input of the mouse or keyboard, so it "puts" the highlighted box where it "thinks" it should be. The difference between LOR and MS Excel is that when using MSE nothing changes except a number, but in LOR you could be changing a command that tells a light or lights to perform a certain function i.e. twinkle, fade, etc, and that throws off the whole sequence. At least that is the way it seems to me. I agree though, it's very frustrating.

Hmm, never seen this in my excel spreedsheets. Wonder if it has something to do with size of the spreedsheet.

I know that up till I started my 4th track I had not had this problem. And it was not right away either. Only started when I did the leaping arches with all of the channels on at the same time (48 channels) I think. You know where the traveling first segment leaves all of the segments on behind it. Then a traveling segment that is off that leaves all of the segments behind it off, but at one point all 32 segments are on for a beat.

but prior to adding the 4th track I only had 3 tracks with about 20 channels and 2 controllers.

next time I open the seq. I will have just done a restart. So any memory that is in limbo will be flushed back into the resources (memory leak). And no residue from Fire Fox or Thunderbird will be hanging in the background. I should have tried a reboot from the git go I suppose. Do that enough at work when we have weird strange unexplained problems.

Max

I have had the channel hopping problem since 2005, long before S2 and tracks. It has occured on three different computers, first with Windows 98 then XP Pro.

Charles