Light-O-Rama Forums

Building an led Mega tree

Madhatter

Hi Madhatter....

Paul here from Somerset, UK........

Hope you have got some things sorted now, and kicking back ready to enjoy the holidays.

I'am using LOR here. I can't really give any advise on the led controller thing, and i know its so frustrating. The lights we have available to buy here in the UK are basically crap, overpriced, and you can't do an awful lot with them.

I get all my stock from the States, they're better priced, better quality, and more versatile.

You can plug sets end to end, stack em etc......

I'am getting another LOR controller for next year, and thought i might have it set to 240v, but thought probably not, because the lights we can buy here in the UK would be a nightmare to adapt because of modifying and disabling the controller which comes with them.

Here's a news video of my display. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FxsR9PdcLW4

If you ever want to chat, mail me on paul1toole@aol.com

Chat soon hopefuly

Paul

I have actually got a couple of static sets of LEDs that my bro bought from focus at a stupidly expensive price. On the quality side They've been out in all weathers for the past few years along with the Argos and B&Q ones and I've not had a single faulty LED, only the homebase ones have any faulty on them. I'm tempted to replace it with one out of a cheap battery set, dunno if that would work.

If I could understand how to find out what transformers to use I'd that but I don't get all this voltage stuff. It's ok if you've already done it, it's easy.

I'm not sorted at all though, I've had a bad year, I've not got everything done that I wanted so in reality I'd have had no chance of setting LOR for this year to the extent that I wanted and the local council seem hell bent on blocking me. I need a scaffolding tower or cherry picker, plus certificates etc, plus pat testing, plus insurance.
Now I can't work out how to do the top of this tree so it never has got done, I tried again today, i need to divide a circle into 20 , i dunno wether to just guess or what . If i do it now it will be ready for next year, cos if i do somehow find 2500 quid it's going to take months to set up on my own.

Now that IS a nice display paul, well done. It really is a rarity that I have the chance to say that about a uk display, they normally look like a shop display with lights thrown up anyhow.
I take it that they're all on 110v.

The problem is the US uses 120 volts AC and "our" lights regular and LEDs are setup for that, at least those purchased here. I'm not sure exactly what voltage you use in England, but it would stand to reason LEDs purchased there would work there. If you want help from anyone you're going to have to provide more information and not be so condescending or upset with people who don't rush to your aid. You're asking for someone to fix "your problem" and teach you electronics at the same time and long distance at that.

Have you tried asking a local electrician, teacher, professor for help? Goggle-ed your question(s)? Not to mention, even though we both speak "English" I find your posts hard to understand exactly what you are saying and I don't know if that is a language thing or a lack of knowledge on your part to convey your problems to us. I know there are alot of people using LOR products in Canada and Australia with different electrical systems than us and they are very happy.

The person in this reply from Australia has alot of great info in his post and also the one from England. You may want to use PC's users list to find others in England to e-mail or call and get ideas/solutions from.

Lastly, a call or e-mail to LOR may be very helpful as they are some of the sharpest and most helpful I have found in the business. Remember, this is the busiest time of the year and it may take them awhile to get back to you, but I'm sure they will, if youre patient.

Madhatter wrote:

Now that IS a nice display paul, well done. It really is a rarity that I have the chance to say that about a uk display, they normally look like a shop display with lights thrown up anyhow.
I take it that they're all on 110v.

Thanks for the lovely comment...really do appriciate that!!

Yep they're 110v American lights

Depending on how many lights you want in your 09' display. You might want to use 110v American lights...i can help if you like, sourcing and helping you get these.

Just to give you an idea.....Sets of LED's from the States range from $8 upwards. The only real costly thing is having them shipped.I do go over a quite a few times a year, so maybe we could work together in getting you the display you really want.

Changing the voltage is really easy, enabling you to use them here in the UK.

Once you know what you want, how many lights you want etc......do some simple math....wam bam your there.

I use (Site Transformers) they're the little yellow boxes, that builders use, to use 110v power tools. They're normally rated at 3.3kw or 5kw 16 & 32amp

If you use lets say the 3.3kw 16 amp version, and work with 80% you'll have 12.8amps & 2640 watts to play with for each transformer.

Each set of US LED lights are normally 4 or 7 watts per strand and 0.04amps or standard incandesant strings 100 count normally are 44 watts & 0.33amps

So doing some math to find out how many you can run on a transformer is simple.

I'll be here whenever you want, you should have my email, but incase you haven't it's paul1toole@aol.com

But for now, i would say, go down the 110v American Lights road, you'll not look back, trust me

Email me for some more info, and if you get stuck.

Merry Christmas & A wonderful New Year 09!!!

Attached files 168196=9687-Panorama view opening night.

The problem is that I ask for help as a newbie and you lot give it like I know what you are talking about and how to do it.
Your idea of going to the local college is something that has crossed my mind. I did learn a lot of this stuff there but that was like 20 years ago and I've not really used transformer calcuations since.

If i'm condecending it's because people are not helping. Geoff has but I struggle to understand and Paul has. For which I am greatful. However this is a support forum, not a users forum and LOR team should be here to help , which they aren't. I've emailed them with two addresses asking for advice on importing and setting up the system, how to get off the shelf uk lights to work and had no reply other than a vague costing.
Now that the import duty threshold has gone up and vat down I shall take advantage of the next year to plan a display. I'm not sure where the display is going to be because all of the legislation the local authority is insisting I comply with.

I think there is a language barrier, we have different terminology here, different regulations, different names for things, different products. There are no c7 c9 or stacking plugs here. Also technically it is illegal for us to set up LOR in the uk, any outside connections other than a factory made and tested (pat tested. portable appliance test) weather proof (ip56 ingress protection 56) connection should be made by or checked by a registered and qualified electrician.

I've got a couple of those transformers Paul. I'm not sure what to do with these 5 sets of 200 that cost me 200 quid, I don't know weather to take them back or keep them.
You can't split half the display to 110v and half to 240v though can you? it's either one or the other. I've got loads of rope light I wanted to use.

Hey there Madhatter.....

Sorry its taken a while to get back to you.............

Well, I'm really new to LOR myself, before i was just doing Static displays, but still using the 110v American Lighting.

Right...........OK....From what i have been reading on these forums and on planet....you can have a LOR controller split into different volts....for example, a 16 channel controller can be divided into 8 channels of 110v and the other 8 channels into 240v.....but i'm guessing at the moment thats kinda running before you can walk, as your main concern is being able to use the lights (240V) you've already shelled out a bomb for.

Where did you get the 5 sets you've got at the moment?

I had bought 14 sets of B&Q 120 count green led strings, but when i got home and plugged them in, discovered the controller with the lights did not have a memory. So i took those right back and got a refund.

I think if your going down the LOR route next year, if you can you too should go back get your money back, and plan good for next year. And decide if your gonna go the 240v or 110v route.

I want to be able to use 240v next year with the extra LOR controller i'm gonna get, so the lights i will be looking for here in the UK will be Static, without controllers... but as you know, they're hard to find.

I guess the only lights which would be easy to use for a mega tree, would be the connectable led lights you can get here. I've seen them for about £18 a set of 70. They're plug right in with no functions or transformers, but you'll need a good 48 sets or so to make the tree look full, and that will cost some ££££'s

I'm in talks with a company at the moment, and they will be getting me a price on LED connectables in the New Year for large bulk buys.....I'm also looking into stocking and selling these next year, and try get the price right down for UK users.

I wonder if instead of emailing LOR, cause they're bound to be so busy at the moment, giving them a call after the Holidays, i think its either Dan or Mary....i'lkl be calling them in Jan, so i can call on behalf of both of us, and get some answers to the questions we have.

paultoole wrote

Right...........OK....From what i have been reading on these forums and on planet....you can have a LOR controller split into different volts....for example, a 16 channel controller can be divided into 8 channels of 110v and the other 8 channels into 240v.....but i'm guessing at the moment thats kinda running before you can walk, as your main concern is being able to use the lights (240V) you've already shelled out a bomb for.

I had bought 14 sets of B&Q 120 count green led strings, but when i got home and plugged them in, discovered the controller with the lights did not have a memory. So i took those right back and got a refund.

Hi madhatter / paul,

Some of the 16 channel LOR controllers I use I split, so that I have 8 channels controlling 24V lamps (LED and / or garden lights) and 8 channels controlling regular 240v stuff (ropelight etc.) It's just a matter of removing two links and feeding the left hand side of the controller (i.e. channels 1 to 8) with 24v, or any other voltage for that matter, as long as it's below 240v The controllers I use are the CTB16D versions which are designed for ac switching, so on some LED strings I wire a full-wave rectifier into the tail from the controller to the string. Cuts down on flicker.

Regarding the B&Q strings; I have "hacked" multi-function strings in the past. Removing their controllers and splitting them to give, maybe 4 strings which I can individually control, rectifying if necessary. But each one is different so it can be confusing.

Happy Christmas guys, and don't stress too much ;o)

Martin

Amazing... where did you guys suddenly spring from.
All you uk people will have to tell me where you are, I travvel all over, especially midlands and london. I'll come and see youre displays. Take some pics for the new site.
I'l post some more specific information and pics on thes strings, maybe you could help me find out how to get rid off controllers and add transformers rectifiers.
They're from B&Q and I'm going to test if they've got memory although they can stay on all day they'll be in an alcove so may show up in the day . I leave the pub trees on because of the memory too and i've some led's from Wilkinsons that haven't got memory, Argos ones are great though.

What do you use for snow Paul?

How can I divide a circle into 20? I'm sure its simple and when I were young ;) I'm sure I did it without even thinking but 20 yrs on and a distinct lack of need to divide circles into 20 has left me puzzling how to achieve this.

Madhatter wrote:

How can I divide a circle into 20? I'm sure its simple and when I were young ;) I'm sure I did it without even thinking but 20 yrs on and a distinct lack of need to divide circles into 20 has left me puzzling how to achieve this.

Not sure what you are trying to do. But if a circle has 360 degrees, then there would be 18 sections of 20 in a circle ?

Was that any help?

JBullard wrote:

Madhatter wrote:
How can I divide a circle into 20? I'm sure its simple and when I were young :D I'm sure I did it without even thinking but 20 yrs on and a distinct lack of need to divide circles into 20 has left me puzzling how to achieve this.

Not sure what you are trying to do. But if a circle has 360 degrees, then there would be 18 sections of 20 in a circle ?

Was that any help?

John,

I think maybe that would be 20 sections with 18 degree angle between sections wouldn't it?
So, madhatter, it's out with the trusty protractor and measure out that circle ;)

Now, back to the sherry and mince pies for us.......:dude:

Happy Christmas.
Martin

grandad wrote:

JBullard wrote:
Madhatter wrote:
How can I divide a circle into 20? I'm sure its simple and when I were young :D I'm sure I did it without even thinking but 20 yrs on and a distinct lack of need to divide circles into 20 has left me puzzling how to achieve this.

Was that any help?

John,

I think maybe that would be 20 sections with 18 degree angle between sections wouldn't it?
So, madhatter, it's out with the trusty protractor and measure out that circle ;)

Now, back to the sherry and mince pies for us.......:dude:

Happy Christmas.
Martin

Maybe ;)

18 sections of 20 degrees or 20 sections of 18 degrees. Wasn't sure from the question what the goal was :D