Light-O-Rama Forums

Firefly users: What is your number?

thebaronn

Alright so I have 5 firefly lights on arches.

With out firefly I have 75 channels (and 2 1602W LOR controllers still in the box from the sale!!!).

But with the firefly channels I have 315!!!!!!

So do I tell people I have 315 channels? Almost seems like cheating.

And for the diplay contest will it be 315 channels???? Then Im at a big disadvantage (not like I have a shot, but still)

Also if LOR were to make something like this I would like a 2nd version that was only 3 channels, all on red, all on blue and all on green. And then I would like it to be easy to add on to (so you could keep the initial controller and just make the string longer by adding another one on) Then you could do your house with 1 long string (for the gutters and stuff) instead of running 13 sets of purple, 13 sets of blue, 13 of gree....etc.

Know what I mean?

Eric

Counting a FF as 48 channels hardly seems like cheating while programming them:shock:

I have 192 channels of FF programming myself.

Like you I have thought about how cool my whole display could be using nothing but these. After I was adding up what I thought I would need I stopped when I got to 2208 channels:shock:

LOL!!

Thats why i thought it would be cool if you had just a string of R/G/B that could be extended. So you have an initial 3 channel controller. Then wire 5 of these together that run a ong the outline of your house! Then you have every color you need!!

Sweet!

Eric

guess college did no good for me.

I went to the phillips site (i guess they bought out CK) and was like, huh?

Do you have video of this stuff in action?

Specter wrote:

ok- I'm even more lost than you... I did the same thing- what is it? Where can I get it? What's it do? What's it cost?

AND WHAT IS THIS FIREFLY THING EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT!!! ;)

Firefly

Rough video

Whoa whoa whoa- back the sleigh up here for a second... I thought FireFly was ONLY a tube used for lighted arches! I see these minitrees on there too! D-Light really needs to get a picture of this thing with the lights off so people know what it is!

HOW DOES THAT WORK??? What is it- a controller only? How do the LEDs change color like that?

Specter wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa- back the sleigh up here for a second... I thought FireFly was ONLY a tube used for lighted arches! I see these minitrees on there too! D-Light really needs to get a picture of this thing with the lights off so people know what it is!

HOW DOES THAT WORK??? What is it- a controller only? How do the LEDs change color like that?

That video is from my display.....NO mini trees with FF.

FF is only : ) a controller and a string of lights. The light strings mounted on the "tube used for lighted arches":P

There is a red, green, and blue LEDs in each light. One color on at a time produces that color, and any combination of the three produces....."millions" of colors. If there are that many that the eye can see.

Specter wrote:

So I assume this can integrate with LOR smoothly?

It has been playing nicely with all the LOR controllers I have.

Programming one FF controller in LOR is like programming three 16 channel controllers. One for 16 red, one for 16 green, and one for 16 blue.

Firefly is a take on the older CK iColor Flex SL strands adapted to work from D-light or LOR software. CK is for more of a commercial/ entertainment market.

The main differences between CK iColor Flex and FF are - CK strands are 50 nodes long (can be shortened but not lenghtened) - FF is only 16 nodes. You can put 2 strands into a CK power supply ( or more if you use CK's dedicated Light Manager) - FF is one per controller. CK offers different node styles. FF - only had one style. To use CK you need either a controller or a DMX device (iDMX). FF - is one strand per controller. and most importantly - cost ( though you can find good deals on CK items - retail price is a killer)- FF is reasonably priced

Side note: iDMX currently supports only 256 channels of DMX (16x16) allowing only 85 CK nodes to be used per iDMX

here is the site: http://www.colorkinetics.com/ls/rgb/flex/

This is to reference the questions from earlier posts. Each FireFly node or pixel has three integrated LED clusters inside. Each surface mount LED cluster has three LED elements: one red, one green, and one blue. FireFly is similar to color changing LED products such as "Gemmy" that are on the market. FireFly needs a computer or other lightshow playback device to make it work, FF will not work independently like the Gemmy units and also the Gemmy units are not computer controllable. The FireFly is much brighter and mixes colors better than what is available in the stores. I have one and I give it a 10 out of 10 rating.

lonewolvie wrote:

I have one and I give it a 10 out of 10 rating.

I agree...I have 4 and give them a 40 out of 40 rating.:(

FF are great, I have 2 so i'll give them a 20 out of 20. I'm not using FF this year, but have been playing with this set-up.